Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Larry Swedroe columns
Old 11-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Larry Swedroe columns

I'd like to get an RSS feed of only Larry's columns but AFAIK there is none. There's an RSS feed from CBS but it includes a lot of other people I don't want. I subscribed to that maybe 2 or 3 years ago and quickly cancelled it.

But then I found and bookmarked a link that would just list Larry's columns sorted by date and that was great. But today that bookmark is incorporating other people too not just Larry's columns. This is the link Search results for larry-swedroe - CBS News

Does anyone have a link or way (RSS ?)to receive just Larry's columns? I check for them every weekend so ignoring columns from last weekend is what I was doing for some time until just now there's a bunch of other stuff listed.

ETA - I just discovered the same problem with Allen Roth. I HATE CBS. Same request for links/RSS for Allen Roth please.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #2

Follow him on twitter:
https://twitter.com/larryswedroe

His columns are posted with direct links.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #3

Good question. I gave up on an RSS feed from Swedroe a long time ago. There are feed filtering services, but I don't know how to get them to work for me.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Try Google.com/alerts
I think the twitter feed mentioned is a very good idea.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Follow him on twitter:

Good call! I follow Rick Ferri and Wade Pfau already, just added Larry Swedroe. Thanks...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #6

Information on this thread, including from Larry himself:

Bogleheads • View topic - What happened to Larry Swedroe's and Allan Roth's Blogs?
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Can go to Google or other search engine of preference, preferably the advanced search page. If you are on the simple Google search page, type in site:cbsnews.com larry-swedroe. That brings up all articles with proper links. You can sort or filter the links. I filtered to last week and easily found the latest column.

RSS feeds have gone through some ups and downs. Twitter feeds are taking over. One advantage is that tweets can be interactive. You can quote the feed for an article, and add your own brief comment.

As for Larry, I've noticed he does have activity on Seeking Alpha. I read there quite a bit for self education purposes.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post

Bogleheads • View topic - What happened to Larry Swedroe's and Allan Roth's Blogs?
Includes this quote from Larry Swedroe:
Quote:
Unfortunately CBS is really messed up, bad site.
And no plans for authors page like others have so you can just go to their page if you like
And the search function doesn't even put blogs in chronological order! So if wanted to see latest post could just go that route, what a mess
I'll post them here. Starting December I will be posting just once a week there (as I think Allan will also) and rest will go to Seeking Alpha (where there is an authors page) and Index Universe (same)

Larry
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post

Great link kramer thank you. I bookmarked the CBS links for Larry and Allan. I'll keep my new CBS links and see how those other 2 pan out. I really enjoy reading these 2 authors' works but I hate CBS's website.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Follow him on twitter:

I guess what I'll do is just bookmark the twitter site and occasionally go to it to follow interesting Swedroe blog links. Thanks Dimsumkid.

I don't use Twitter and don't want another revenue hungry company getting my email address. Am I too suspicious?
Old 11-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I guess what I'll do is just bookmark the twitter site and occasionally go to it to follow interesting Swedroe blog links. Thanks Dimsumkid.

I don't use Twitter and don't want another revenue hungry company getting my email address. Am I too suspicious?
Throw-away or anonymous email?
I think revenue-hungry is the way capitalism works.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post

I don't like Twitter any more than Facebook! I don't think Twitter would be a good option because there's going to be dozens of Tweets a day, maybe more? How do you wade through all that er crap to find the ones that tell of a new column? I wish these 2 had an RSS feed that seems to work for all the other folks I follow.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I like to hear from Swedroe and some others like Bernstein. I'm sure these guys will find a way that we can follow them on the web. We just need to be a bit patient.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #14

Larry Swedroe's Articles - Seeking Alpha

This is a link to a list of his articles. I don't see a way to get an RSS feed of just his articles.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

The Google alert I set up previously went off today and sent a link to Larry's latest cbsnews.com article dated Nov 26.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #16

So here's an update - the CBS site that has been giving me the correct info on Allan Roth's new articles each week (and so far Larry Swedroe) is now just showing this - Search results for allan roth - CBS News and as you can see they list the last article by Allan as Jan. 27 and that's pretty old.

By searching around, and I hate to say this, I dug through Tweeter tweets and found this from Feb. 11 - Why investors can go gambling - CBS News so the CBS site can't be trusted, maybe next week the Feb. 11 link will be there and maybe not.

I dearly want to read Allan Roth's articles but is there anyone that has found a better way since this thread ended to see what he's published? Digging through Tweeter for God knows how far back clicking on links to see IF it's a new article is a PITA.

I just can't believe this is such a problem. I am about to just give up on Roth and Swedroe (if CBS fails to keep me updated as they seem to now have done with Roth) and chalk it up to the inability to find information that isn't making me jump through hoops.

Help!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
So here's an update - the CBS site that has been giving me the correct info on Allan Roth's new articles each week (and so far Larry Swedroe) is now just showing this - Search results for allan roth - CBS News and as you can see they list the last article by Allan as Jan. 27 and that's pretty old.

By searching around, and I hate to say this, I dug through Tweeter tweets and found this from Feb. 11 - Why investors can go gambling - CBS News so the CBS site can't be trusted, maybe next week the Feb. 11 link will be there and maybe not.

I dearly want to read Allan Roth's articles but is there anyone that has found a better way since this thread ended to see what he's published? Digging through Tweeter for God knows how far back clicking on links to see IF it's a new article is a PITA.

I just can't believe this is such a problem. I am about to just give up on Roth and Swedroe (if CBS fails to keep me updated as they seem to now have done with Roth) and chalk it up to the inability to find information that isn't making me jump through hoops.

Help!
It appears to be the same article. The search on CBS shows a date of Jan. 27, 2014 and your twitter found link shows Feb 11, 2014. The articles when you click on them are the same "Why Investors Can Go Gambling".
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote