Join Early Retirement Today

Re: LASIK for presbyopians?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:32 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

I never thought about monovision meaning that one eye will always be blurry. I'm strongly left-eye dominant and I don't know how that would change if I had monovision surgery. I still have excellent night vision and a high squeamish factor.
Nords, the monovision is not for everyone, that's for sure, but ubderstand that when it's successful (as in my case) you don't percieve one eye being blurry all the time. Rather, your brain integrates the images & you experience whatever is appropriate - clear distance vision, clear near vision. If you close one eye then you will be handicapped if you're using the "wrong " eye for the job, but with both open it seems to work.
I think they use your dominant eye for distance vision; so I guess if you were a hunter or marksman, for example, & you shoot "right-handed" but your left eye is dominant it could be a problem for you. I don't have any conflicts like that so I'm ok with it.
Note that in my case going with the monovision was actually a more conservative approach in that they only did the Lasik on one eye - my dominant right eye, to correct the myopia. Left eye was (is) uncorrected & works for close work. If it had not worked out for me for whatever reason I had (have) the option of having the procedure done on the left eye to "match" the right; but then I would likely have to use glasses for reading, due to the presbyopia.

My 2 cents. YMMV

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
That is considered moderate nearsightsighted. My wife is a 9. Even though I think she's a 10
That explains why she is always so happy looking in her pictures. She can't see the mischief you are up to.

Ha

Old 11-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

HaHa, I am interested in your recommendation. My eyes are -3.00 and -2.75 or somesuch. I currently wear bi-focals.

So, if I were to follow your method, would I go with +3.25 reading glasses or higher for reading? I do a lot of computer work--would those same slightly plus reading glasses work for staring at the monitor? Also, would I then just wear regular distance prescription glasses (not bi-focals) for times when not reading or doing other close work?

What does anti-accommodation mean? Can you point me on some reading material if there is any on this technique of yours?

Sorry for all the questions, but as I said in another post, the thing I dislike most about aging so far is the deteriorating vision, and I am hesitant on undergoing surgery.

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2006, 10:54 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress
HaHa, I am interested in your recommendation. My eyes are -3.00 and -2.75 or somesuch. I currently wear bi-focals.

So, if I were to follow your method, would I go with +3.25 reading glasses or higher for reading? I do a lot of computer work--would those same slightly plus reading glasses work for staring at the monitor? Also, would I then just wear regular distance prescription glasses (not bi-focals) for times when not reading or doing other close work?

What does anti-accommodation mean? Can you point me on some reading material if there is any on this technique of yours?

Sorry for all the questions, but as I said in another post, the thing I dislike most about aging so far is the deteriorating vision, and I am hesitant on undergoing surgery.

Thanks!
IMHO... HaHa was just lucky.... it had nothing to do with what he did...

Some peoples eyes change one way and then the other... by BIL now does not wear glasses except for reading... getting older 'fixed' his vision, and he did not do what Ha did...
Old 11-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
IMHO... HaHa was just lucky....
Maybe so. I will do some research and reading and try out his technique, though.

HaHa, thanks for sharing!
Old 11-09-2006, 07:57 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Holy $h!#! How thick were your glasses? How much did they weigh? I thought 4 diopters was bad. Damn! Congratulations on your successful surgery.
Actually, Tiger woods was -11 diopters in both eyes prior to his Lasik. He couldn't even see the golf ball on the tee if he wasn't wearing his contacts or glasses.