Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Oh, please! Not another "I can top that" thread.

I might have to break out the story of the box lunch I once got on a 141 where they forgot to cut the crusts off the sandwich bread. [shudder]
Hey, I had a box lunch on a tanker made by a truly inept cook - I got a real finger sandwich...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
Oh man, Benning in July? I did Bragg in August. Brutal. At any given time 100 out of the 300 officer candiates I was with were belly up getting glucose bags or medevaced.
The best parts were the 0230 reveille for the start of the training day, when it was only 80 degrees and "before it got hot". By 0800 they'd be running us through the outdoor shower nozzles. You'd think that would keep you cool, which it sorta did for 30 seconds, but it also added 20 pounds of water weight to your workout.

After a year at USNA it was a real eye-opener on "real" military life. To this day I have an aversion to group workouts supervised by a class leader.

Somehow I never got around to trying out the exotic sights & sounds of Athens or Phenix City.

One of my fellow students in this 1979 class was a captain in the Iranian Army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hey, I had a box lunch on a tanker made by a truly inept cook - I got a real finger sandwich...
Eh, sounds like the cook was just trying to keep their hand in...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The Army has a knack for squeezing the fun out of almost any "should be fun" experience. Like jumping out of airplanes. It's less fun with a 60 pound ruck and a mortar baseplate for extra "ballast." And sitting on Green Ramp at Pope AFB, NC for 5 hours in the heat waiting for the airplane (the airplane's right on time, don't ask my why the troops have to be there so early). ...

They've got my respect. Sometimes I think the only reason we do airborne ops is because it makes for fanatical killing machines. I've thought that putting even lackluster troops in that airplane and treating 'em as we do is like shaking up a bee in a beer can--when he gets out, somebody is gonna pay a big price!
I see your point SamClem. My two jumps (static line only) were quite a bit more fun. Yes we had to take a 1/2 day instruction on safety, but unlike most safety lectures I've suffered through, the importance of safety and following procedures is obvious when jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. I am sure that the situation you describe would actually suck most of the fun out it. Still I think the Golden Knights (the Army's parachute team a fixture at big airshows) would be fun job even if scary.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
... when jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.
It's not the aircraft... it's the flight crew!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote