Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I don't mind the extra screening, but I do wish they would be more specific in targetting suspicious individuals rather than just on looking for bad things.
Definitely - that is where the first line of defense needs to be!

Audrey
__________________

__________________
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,201
This guy got through. How many tried but were caught? 3 or 3,000? Knowing that would tell us a lot about how effective the system is.

The first part of this video shows what kind of explosion a shoe bomb can make. The other explosions seem much larger.

__________________

__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Leonidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Where the stars at night are big and bright
Posts: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Sounds like something the ACLU would be interested in, so I hope the bloggers squeal as loudly as possible and get picked up by the mainstream media. Embarassment squared.
Your hopes were fulfilled.
Quote:
The Transportation Security Administration on Thursday dropped its subpoenas it had issued to two Internet writers in its effort to find the leaker of an airline security directive.

The subpoenas were criticized by a leading journalism organization.

The TSA said the investigation is "nearing a successful conclusion and the subpoenas are no longer in effect."
My Way News - TSA ends journalist subpoenas over leaked memo
__________________
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it. - Andrew Jackson
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
73ss454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: LaLa Land
Posts: 4,378
I had a flight late last night from LaGuardia in NY to MCO in Orlando. The flight was almost 3 hours late with de-ice and all, that seems normal. Otherwise I didn't see any changes in security but I did keep setting the metal detector off and had to have a pat down. DW and I are suffering jet lag today as we didn't get in till after 4AM.
__________________
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
Our flight from Chicago to Florida on 12/31 had no extra security involved--I forgot to pull my little bag of liquids from my carryon and the scanner didn't ask to see it. No one patted down our bods. Maybe our return flight next week will be different, but I doubt it.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 607
I just flew on a flight from the Midwest back to CA and we did have to go through the body scan, but no long delays besides that. Flying out early on New Years Day probably had something to do with that though!

Regarding the guy's visa being rejected in Britain; his visa was rejected not because of some suspected terrorist link, but because he said he was going to be at a university that doesn't exist!

I'm not a TSA fan, but I honestly don't think you can do a whole lot to prevent a persistent terrorist from a security standpoint. The fact that terrorists know that if they attempt to hijack a plane, at least a few passengers will resist probably acts as more of a deterrent than anything. I remember flying pre-9/11 where conventional wisdom was just to submit and obey hijackers. Not any more.
__________________
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #87
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
Regarding the guy's visa being rejected in Britain; his visa was rejected not because of some suspected terrorist link, but because he said he was going to be at a university that doesn't exist!
Yes but surely it would be useful for the USA and Britain to share info on folks that fraudulently attempt to enter the country - add that fact to other facts and you build a profile that should require more scrutiny.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I had a flight late last night from LaGuardia in NY to MCO in Orlando. The flight was almost 3 hours late with de-ice and all, that seems normal. Otherwise I didn't see any changes in security but I did keep setting the metal detector off and had to have a pat down. DW and I are suffering jet lag today as we didn't get in till after 4AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Our flight from Chicago to Florida on 12/31 had no extra security involved--I forgot to pull my little bag of liquids from my carryon and the scanner didn't ask to see it. No one patted down our bods. Maybe our return flight next week will be different, but I doubt it.
The extra security is for international flights only. The last hour restrictions are so the terrorists won't know when they are approaching populated areas (as terrorists don't know about watches). And since we don't have terrorists in this country flying domestic flights there's no reason to implement any effective new measures in country.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 739
I wonder, is it required that the window shades be pulled down for the last hour so you can't look out and spot large cities?

Also, wouldn't a plane descending kind of indicate close proximity to a city?

And couldn't a person just watch when the attendants make the final seat belt check?

The measures TSA is implementing are farcical, it boggles my mind that we do not have more intelligent people in place to make decisions.

It is, has, and always will be a financial game. When airlines no longer have sufficient paying passengers, airports not longer have sufficient planes operating out of them, and huge losses occur, effective means of security will happen.

If my and my wife's decision is any indication, there may be lots less folks flying in the next few years. We just canceled both our vacations to Europe this year.
__________________
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
If my and my wife's decision is any indication, there may be lots less folks flying in the next few years. We just canceled both our vacations to Europe this year.
Just curious as to why. Terrorists aren't interested in blowing up planes leaving the US and most the security changes affect international flights arriving into the US.

Flying from the US to Europe isn't going to be much extra hassle.
__________________

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
If my and my wife's decision is any indication, there may be lots less folks flying in the next few years. We just canceled both our vacations to Europe this year.
You canceled your vacation to Europe because of the possibility of a 20 minute wait in a security line, or because of the possibility of a 45 second wand/search? Or because of the less than one-in-a-million chance that you'll be the victim of a terrorist attack while flying? Certainly getting into a car and driving any distance at all on vacation poses a greater risk.

I guess we can all maximize safety and minimize inconvenience by staying home, pulling down the shades, and hoping nothing bad happens--'cause if we do it is a sure bet nothing good will happen.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #92
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 739
Trek, just because of the intense hassles now in place. We were doing quite a bit of flying into and out of Europe, including Amsterdam back to the US and just have lost interest in being questioned, prodded, probed and treated like a criminal.

Flew into Toronto last month and the immigration officer questioned us separately, took 15 minutes for us to both get thru and I was forced to go on ahead and not stand nearby while the wife was questioned.

Kinda feels bad all over.

I was asked twice, "why are you coming to Toronto during the winter?". Uh, what difference does that make?

So not afraid of flying, tired of the hassles.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Just curious as to why. Terrorists aren't interested in blowing up planes leaving the US and most the security changes affect international flights arriving into the US.

Flying from the US to Europe isn't going to be much extra hassle.
__________________
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #93
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
The extra security is for international flights only. The last hour restrictions are so the terrorists won't know when they are approaching populated areas (as terrorists don't know about watches). And since we don't have terrorists in this country flying domestic flights there's no reason to implement any effective new measures in country.
Good one!

These new restrictions make absolutely no sense to me, either. Oh well. Obviously I have much to learn.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #94
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 739
If it were only a 20 minute wait and a 45 second wand search, no problem.

But my last three flights have included such things as having to pass back and forth thru the metal detector about 6 times because I have a metal plate and screws in my forearm. I showed them the huge scars and that was not good enough. Had to be pulled aside, then they decide since I'm suspicious, they should search my carryon, to the point of piling the entire contents on the table, sniff the small items, pull on the lining, and basically act like they were onto me and determined to arrest me for something.

Then "OK, you can repack your bag, sir".

So it's more than a simple wait and wanding. And it all depends on your luck at being the random searchee.



Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
You canceled your vacation to Europe because of the possibility of a 20 minute wait in a security line, or because of the possibility of a 45 second wand/search? Or because of the less than one-in-a-million chance that you'll be the victim of a terrorist attack while flying? Certainly getting into a car and driving any distance at all on vacation poses a greater risk.

I guess we can all maximize safety and minimize inconvenience by staying home, pulling down the shades, and hoping nothing bad happens--'cause if we do it is a sure bet nothing good will happen.
__________________
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #95
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
If it were only a 20 minute wait and a 45 second wand search, no problem.

But my last three flights have included such things as having to pass back and forth thru the metal detector about 6 times because I have a metal plate and screws in my forearm. I showed them the huge scars and that was not good enough. Had to be pulled aside, then they decide since I'm suspicious, they should search my carryon, to the point of piling the entire contents on the table, sniff the small items, pull on the lining, and basically act like they were onto me and determined to arrest me for something.

Then "OK, you can repack your bag, sir".

So it's more than a simple wait and wanding. And it all depends on your luck at being the random searchee.
Well, if that was my normal experience every time, I might wonder if I want to fly too. I fly a lot and I'm a tall, blonde, Nordic looking fellow and I get pulled aside for extra security (body wand) a good 80% of the time I go through security (whether I set off the detector or not). They swab my carry-on for explosives (usually in a separate room, depending on airport) etc about 50% of the time.

100% of the time, this has happened in US airports, not EU airports and I've flown through most all the major ones from Munich to Helsinki. This is all since 9-11.

I've not though been made to feel like a criminal. Most TSA agents do seem pretty dense and I've been questioned as to why I've been to Estonia (then they ask me where it is). I look at TSA agents as people that had their application turned down at Walmart. I assume (and by the demeanor of the TSA) believe I'm the guy they screen because I'm the opposite of a terrorist. I'm the token white guy they have to screen so they don't get blamed for racial profiling.

Personally I wouldn't cancel a trip over it. I love to travel and as they say, getting there is part of the adventure. I try to look at airports/security/etc as part of the adventure and not stress about it. I always arrive to airports early (my nature, I'm early to everything).

But Zero, if they make you feel like a criminal and threaten you every time you fly, then I do understand you wanting to spend your time locally.
__________________

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Had to be pulled aside, then they decide since I'm suspicious, they should search my carryon, to the point of piling the entire contents on the table, sniff the small items, pull on the lining, and basically act like they were onto me and determined to arrest me for something.

Then "OK, you can repack your bag, sir".
I wonder if there's any actual prohibition to packing 20 dirty diapers as your only carryon?

(Between dry heaves)"Okay, you can repack your bag, sir"

"No, that's okay. You can dispose of it where you put all the expensive scissors and colognes that you confiscate."
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #97
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,902
I flew from Portland to Salt Lake City on New Year's Eve. I sat next to an African man who kept trying to send text messages during the flight on a old cracked faced cell phone. The guy made me nervous, though I'm generally no xenophobe.

We did not run into any enhanced security that we could perceive.

Fortunately, all was well.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #98
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I flew from Portland to Salt Lake City on New Year's Eve. I sat next to an African man who kept trying to send text messages during the flight on a old cracked faced cell phone. The guy made me nervous, though I'm generally no xenophobe.

We did not run into any enhanced security that we could perceive.

Fortunately, all was well.
The last few times I've flown, cell phone use in flight is banned completely. (IED's are often triggered with cell phones though I suspect the reason is more commercial than safety)
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #99
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Well, if that was my normal experience every time, I might wonder if I want to fly too. I fly a lot and I'm a tall, blonde, Nordic looking fellow and I get pulled aside for extra security (body wand) a good 80% of the time I go through security (whether I set off the detector or not). They swab my carry-on for explosives (usually in a separate room, depending on airport) etc about 50% of the time.

100% of the time, this has happened in US airports, not EU airports and I've flown through most all the major ones from Munich to Helsinki. This is all since 9-11.

I've not though been made to feel like a criminal. Most TSA agents do seem pretty dense and I've been questioned as to why I've been to Estonia (then they ask me where it is). I look at TSA agents as people that had their application turned down at Walmart. I assume (and by the demeanor of the TSA) believe I'm the guy they screen because I'm the opposite of a terrorist. I'm the token white guy they have to screen so they don't get blamed for racial profiling.

Personally I wouldn't cancel a trip over it. I love to travel and as they say, getting there is part of the adventure. I try to look at airports/security/etc as part of the adventure and not stress about it. I always arrive to airports early (my nature, I'm early to everything).

But Zero, if they make you feel like a criminal and threaten you every time you fly, then I do understand you wanting to spend your time locally.
I've been flying 15-20 times a year for the last 40 years, and many of those were DC to London or Los Angeles to Hong Kong. And in the 70-80's flying was a joy, and as a business person you got treated royally. I often knew ever flight attendant by name and they me. The 90's it seemed like the hijackings had taken their toll on the enjoyment aspect of flying and there was security to a moderate extent but starting in 2000 it really is more of a chore for me.

Maybe I have just flown too much but it is no longer fun. I can't hype myself into believing I enjoy it.

And SamClem, you gave me a great idea. I may ask my neighbor to save me some of his babies "used" pampers. Watching the TSA agent turn green round the gills might break the mood a bit.
__________________
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #100
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
And SamClem, you gave me a great idea. I may ask my neighbor to save me some of his babies "used" pampers. Watching the TSA agent turn green round the gills might break the mood a bit.
Yes, TSA agents are well known for their sense of humor. Can you say biological weapon? Missed flight? Multi-orifice search? And all with no recourse, since you can't sue and they make up the rules as they go.
__________________

__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
They just don't make Flight Attendants like they use to! Rustic23 Other topics 4 09-10-2009 11:22 AM
401(k) Withdrawal Restrictions jazz4cash FIRE and Money 0 05-05-2009 07:19 PM
Finding the cheapest flight twaddle Travel Information 13 10-14-2007 01:53 PM
The 4 hour workweek Arif Young Dreamers 19 06-04-2007 09:51 AM
I just saw United Flight 93... dex Other topics 52 05-08-2006 01:31 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.