Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Maureen Dowd put it cleverly:

If we can’t catch a Nigerian with a powerful explosive powder in his oddly feminine-looking underpants and a syringe full of acid, a man whose own father had alerted the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria, a traveler whose ticket was paid for in cash and who didn’t check bags, whose visa renewal had been denied by the British, who had studied Arabic in Al Qaeda sanctuary Yemen, whose name was on a counterterrorism watch list, who can we catch?
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't see how any system similar to the one we have could work well. The screeners are low paid employees doing an extremely monotonous job.

This current close call is probably a good thing, since it will allow the use of the X-ray vision body scanners despite objections from the prudes who are worried about airport employees seeing their "bosoms." That might also make the screeners jobs a little less monotonous.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I can't see how any system similar to the one we have could work well. The screeners are low paid employees doing an extremely monotonous job.

This current close call is probably a good thing, since it will allow the use of the X-ray vision body scanners despite objections from the prudes who are worried about airport employees seeing their "bosoms." That might also make the screeners jobs a little less monotonous.
If they use the body scanners, I hope they have female TSA employees scanning the women and male TSP employees scanning the men. That is the only way I would feel even slightly comfortable about it (if I should lose my mind and decide to fly somewhere in the near future). I'm really not a prude but the idea that someone is getting off over a body scan is really gross and slimy to me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Im fine with whatever means they need to use. Except I dont think I would like a cavity search just to fly. I do not need some Nigerian ass face deciding his life sucks while I fly to England and blow up the plane.

The world changes and I adapt. I would just prefer when they catch these idiots just execute them on the tarmac while the video roles.

That way I can have my book out during the last hour of my flight.

Have a nice day.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I guess I really don't care about the body scan, even though I may be a bit prudish. I mean, it isn't like they see your boobs hanging out or something. I am sure there might be a piercing related snicker or two when some of the younger folks I know might go through the line, but no worries on my end.
Good luck to you travelers...I would dread it.
Trek, I wish you a peaceful journey and I assume you use the trick where you have a new small toy for the little one to unwrap at intervals on the trip? Matchbox cars and the like? My friend who traveled with her smalls back and forth to NZ a few times swore by this method but wouldn't ever confess to using Benadryl, though I suspected it a few times.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I guess I really don't care about the body scan, even though I may be a bit prudish. I mean, it isn't like they see your boobs hanging out or something. I am sure there might be a piercing related snicker or two when some of the younger folks I know might go through the line, but no worries on my end.
Good luck to you travelers...I would dread it.
Trek, I wish you a peaceful journey and I assume you use the trick where you have a new small toy for the little one to unwrap at intervals on the trip? Matchbox cars and the like? My friend who traveled with her smalls back and forth to NZ a few times swore by this method but wouldn't ever confess to using Benadryl, though I suspected it a few times.
If you get a snicker pierced why would you care if some joe or jane from TSA knows if you got your snickerdoodle pierced ...

I just draw the line at probing. Thats for the aliens.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

I've just landed from my flight back from Europe. The full body pat down was so thorough that it may have qualified as my first gay experience...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I've just landed from my flight back from Europe. The full body pat down was so thorough that it may have qualified as my first gay experience...
Just checking. Making sure nothing explosive was in your pants.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Flying out of Chicago in the morning--I'll put on some nice cologne and extra deodorant for the screeners.

Isn't there a funny scene in the movie Airplane with an x-ray security screening that shows comely young women in the altogether? Can't find it on Youtube.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #50

Perhaps we should take the TSA to Dinner and a Movie first before the search.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Pffft. Rather have it quick and dirty.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Old 12-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #53

Well, if you have to ask what it is... It's not so much.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #54

I have to rethink about being a cop now. Guess being too old isnt my number one concern.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Flying out of Chicago in the morning--I'll put on some nice cologne and extra deodorant for the screeners.

Isn't there a funny scene in the movie Airplane with an x-ray security screening that shows comely young women in the altogether? Can't find it on Youtube.

All right, you two. I'm flying to Tampa in less than 2 weeks.

I just CAN'T decide if I will wear the little red and black number or the emerald green with the low cut bodice.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #56
Gone but not forgotten

My Mom who is 93 and has hip and knee implants is always taken aside and patted down . It's the most fun she's had in years !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #57
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post

I had one of those in Scranton ,Pa. plus I was pulled behind a plastic wall ( totally see through ) for the procedure . It was so thorough the searcher knew where my under-wire started and stopped . Needless to say fellow passengers avoided me like the black plague .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Perhaps a cigarette after?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

All right, you two. I'm flying to Tampa in less than 2 weeks.

I just CAN'T decide if I will wear the little red and black number or the emerald green with the low cut bodice.
I'm triple-shaving my legs
Old 12-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm a little curious as to why the feeler took the feelee's word for it? If he had to ask, shouldn't he check?