Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's been at least 5 years I think. I just don't see the point anymore. We bought Dad a 42" Panasonic plasma HDTV a couple of weeks ago, and it's so enjoyable watching movies at home when you have a gorgeous display like that, I have no desire to go to a theater anymore.

Besides, they play the movies TOO LOUD.

Not to mention all the very annoying previews.

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2007, 09:00 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I have been out-cheaped.

I cede to the master.
Not really cheap, movies just aren't my style.

Now this is worth the price of admission.

http://www.picnicwiththepops.com/shows.php

Old 06-17-2007, 10:24 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Gotta admit I'm a curmudgeon on this one. Loud crowds, riduculous prices both for tickets and goodies, annoying lines and people control with large multiplexes, volumes that are often set too loud for my aging ears. It's just not something I enjoy any more. Maybe 2-3 times a year for flicks where the special effects are worth the ordeal.

DW would probably list my resistance as a pet peeve.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:44 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Used to go 20-30 times/year (15-20 years ago). Now, maybe once/year, to a movie
I feel needs a big screen (LOTR, Star Trek, etc). Rental DVDs have filled the void.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:14 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

We go a few times each year. We watch most of our movies via Netflix--lots of great stuff to choose from and it is more convenient. (and our 20 year old 21" TV is fine--sit closer if you want to see details!)

The times I most enjoy going to the theater is when I take some young relative to see a kids movie. Watching a movie with a theater full of laughing, giggling children is worth the price of admission--and even a cell phone ring or two.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Our teen dragged me to see Pirates of the Caribbean III last week as her treat for finishing 9th grade.

I wasn't paying much attention but at one point my brain woke up and said "Hey, that nasty guitar-strummin' pirate looks a lot like Keith Richards. I wonder how much makeup that took?!?"

The answer: none.

My daughter's comment was "Who were the Rolling Stones?" Ouch.

Otherwise I see a good large-caliber action flick about once a year.
Obviously Mr. Richards is working so that he can delay collecting Social Security.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #27

Gosh I really had to think back about this one but I believe it was ET, I took my two nephews.. humm so that had to be over 20 years ago.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

we went about a month ago, to see Spider Man 3 (I tend to only go to shows that need a big screen to get the full impact). There were a lot of little kids sitting in front of us (12 & under), which we thought would be a problem...but they ended up being more entertaining than the movie!

at the scene were MJ kisses Harry, one yelled "ho", another "slut" & the third "two-timing WHORE", which had all of us in tears of amusement (and slightly shocked at the last one...).

in general, I just use netflix.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #29

I think I've been to the movies twice is the last five years -- quite a change from perhaps 15 years ago, when I'd often go weekly. For me, it was the death of the small theater. I cannot stand the multiplexes with crowded parking, long lines for tickets and refreshments, and tacky decoration.

Coach
Old 06-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #30

Just like some of the others here, I used to go to the movies a lot. Usually once a week and sometimes two or three times. Now the experience has become too unpleasant for all the reasons mentioned in other posts. About two years ago I did go to see The World’s Fastest Indian. That was one of the few movies I’ve been to that had the audience applauding at the end.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I went over the last holiday weekend (Memorial Day) to see Spiderman 3. It was probably our last theater visit. There were a lot of people with young kids there, apparently to save from having to pay a babysitter. When not wrestliing in the aisles and stairways, the youngsters were screaming at the top of their lungs whenever one of the many scary parts was shown. Clearly, there was insufficient parental or theater control of who was in that theater. I suspect those youngsters had nightmares for days.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

We stopped in 2005. Used to go to dinner and a movie about once a week.

We don't even rent videos anymore, since we can barely keep up with DVDs that we get from the library and movies that we record. Watched "Who Killed the Electric Car?" the other night -- recommended.

I recorded an entire season or two of "24", but I don't know when I'll get a chance to watch it.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #33

Wow

The last movie I saw in a thee-ator was Animal House in '78.

Mike D.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Last time I was in a theater, cell phones had not yet become the problem that they apparently since have. Independence Day, perhaps?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #35

I saw Pirates III a few weeks ago. I go about once every two months or so.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #36

I rarely go to movies due to my hearing loss but my daughter and I went to Spider Man (don't laugh) about a month ago. Since I can't really follow the dialog, I at least want to be entertained by the action. This movie theater had the rear window projection captioning...so I was able to follow the dialog (what there was of it). Most of the time we just watch at home. That's what I prefer anyway.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Saturday, June 16 (of course!) we were late arriving for a "Bloomsday" celebration (due to traffic congestion); it was sold out so we decided to check out the movies at two malls within walking distance. The timing was bad and the only choice coming up within a few minutes was Pirates III. We passed on that and hung out at the mall for a while; haven't done that since the new Bloomies opened last Sept. It was fun just sitting and relaxing under the dome. Took the scenic way home and stoped for home made ice cream.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

That rear window captioning sure is clever, never heard of that before.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

1977 Star Wars.

heh heh heh
Old 06-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Gosh Unclemick...I was about to become a sophomore in high school...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote