Last week Coffee - This week donuts

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Who likes donuts?

We have a mom and pop bakery close to our house. Oh man... Fresh donuts.

I personally like blueberry cake donuts. But there is nothing better than the humble (yet delicious) glazed donut hot out of the oven with a steaming hot cup of Columbian coffee with cream only. My personal favorite. Talk about losing all pride... and sense of self. Totally absorbed in the task at hand demolishing 3 or 4 in a couple of minutes.

We were on vacation years ago, shortly after DW and I were married. We were staying at a small motel. I woke up a little early and went to a Dunkin Donuts (close by) to get a few donuts and cup of coffee. I brought those beauties back to the motel room. Turned on the TV low (news) and proceeded to annihilate those donuts. About half way into the frenzy... I notice DW looking at me from bed in shock or maybe amazement. I probably look like a 10 year old gorging on those things :-[ Oh well... she kept me anyway.

Donuts are my nemesis! I live right around the corner from a Krispy Kreme, too. I drive by it on my way to and from work or the gym every day, but I never allow myself to stop and buy any donuts.

I must admit that I have a weakness for beignets, as well, and I do indulge myself with beignets and cafe au lait at Morning Call once in a while. Mmmm! The best part is sprinkling them with just the right amount of powdered sugar from that shaker, exactly as I want. :D

Never been to a Dunkin' Donuts, but it sounds like the kind of place I should avoid like the plague! :LOL:

Dunkin Donuts is pretty good, and reasonably priced. Krispy Kreme's donuts are good, but i'm still looking for the part of the cooking process where they add the gold flake that just must be in there somewhere to validate their pricing structure.

I got a good chortle in when they fell on their face financially last year and the CEO blamed it on "low carb diets".

"No dude...your donuts cost too much!!!"

I still manage to find a little mom and pop shop somewhere in the area that has the best donuts.

Odd little observation from having lived on both coasts...common on the east coast to get your donuts or bagels on friday or saturday night so you have them for the morning. West coast donut/bagel shops run out a little after noontime and close.

And of course, the piece de resistance....bunny with a donut on his head, the bacon maple bar, and for those health conscious people, the vegan donut plate.

Attachments

• bunnydonut.JPG
    bunnydonut.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 12
  • bunnydonut.JPG_thumb
    39.6 KB · Views: 1
  • bacon_maple_bar.jpg
    bacon_maple_bar.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 12
  • bacon_maple_bar.jpg_thumb
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
  • vegan_doughnuts.jpg
    vegan_doughnuts.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 13
  • vegan_doughnuts.jpg_thumb
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
oooh! donuts... mmmm

best part of being pregnant/breastfeeding is i get to have some of these once in while with absolutely no guilt!

love the mom and pop shops, KK is too sweet for my taste.

Favorite is the buttermilk (is that the old fashioned?) w/ chocolate
also like the twist or round w/ just sugar and creme filled are pretty great too. once in a while we get a monster sized apple fritter and take it apart for a day or two...

As a type 1 (juvenile onset) diabetic who needed a kidney transplant at 42, I have a problem with doughnuts. I have a problem with food in general but I am glad the Krispy Kreme is over 40 miles away. Can't drive by it without stopping though. I am also mesmerized by the icing waterfall I can see through the window into the factory area.

Mmmm.

Mike D.

Anybody ever had a Brit's donut while visiting Carolina Beach, NC? They make only glazed, and they're hot, because they don't stay on the shelf long enough to cool down. 8)

I like granular sugar coated donuts. Hate the powered ones.

KK went out of business here.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
"No dude...your donuts cost too much!!!"
Not around here, at least according to the customer demand.

Fundraisers on Oahu will fly to Hawaii's only KK on Maui, arrange shipment of many many boxes via return air, and sell them curbside. Oahu's co-branding retailers will hand out KK coupons knowing full well that recipients don't have a problem with flying to Maui for pickup.

When KK first opened, Aloha & Hawaiian slapped baggage limits on the numbers of boxes of doughnuts that people could carry on the flights. So KK started using their gargantuan square-bottomed plastic bags to hold several boxes of doughnuts. The airlines caved in shortly after that, but I bet the next step was pallets...

Malasada's - a portugese donut that is popular here in Hawaii. I call ahead to Agnes' Bakery in Kailua and they make them to order. Mmmmmm....

There are Pub crawlers and then there are donut shop crawlers. I'm still researching.

We have the usual mix of chains and locals - among the local mini's I've been doing Casey's and Hyvee recently.

But I am far from done. May take a while.

heh heh heh - ::)

Beignets eaten at the Cafe Du Monde, watching the world go by

I have been eating too many donuts lately!
Entenmann's has a new one....Coffee French Vanilla that is to die for!
I had all 8 of them in 48 hours :-\

Coffee

Donuts

Cigarettes:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Butermilk bar is my fave. But the Starbucks close by knows my weakness. Coffee Cake

I think I'll go check and see if they are in.
BRB

I love KK but they went out of business here in NY. When I get the urge I buy a box of Entenmann's chocolate donuts and eat the whole box in one sitting.

J-Lu said:
Malasada's - a portugese donut that is popular here in Hawaii. I call ahead to Agnes' Bakery in Kailua and they make them to order. Mmmmmm....
Now we're talking yummy.

Ever notice how Leonard's Malasada ads are right next to newspaper articles decrying Hawaii having one of the nation's highest rates of diabetes?

Sorry to say both Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme have flamed out in my city ... but if I need a fix, there's still a local store that's been around for decades

Nords said:
Not around here, at least according to the customer demand.

Fundraisers on Oahu will fly to Hawaii's only KK on Maui, arrange shipment of many many boxes via return air, and sell them curbside. Oahu's co-branding retailers will hand out KK coupons knowing full well that recipients don't have a problem with flying to Maui for pickup.

Nords

Right after I get off the plane at OGG, the KK is almost always my first stop in Maui. Something about being locked in a metal tube for 9 hours makes me crave those crispy fried delights.

As for my favorites... I love the standard glazed at KK, and at Dunkin I swear by the buttermilk. It's heaven plain and simple. too bad the coffee at both stink

unclemick2 said:
There are Pub crawlers and then there are donut shop crawlers. I'm still researching.

We have the usual mix of chains and locals - among the local mini's I've been doing Casey's and Hyvee recently.

But I am far from done. May take a while.

heh heh heh - ::)

The next time you're in KC (or ever in STL :) ), you need to try [url]http://www.lamars.com [/url]. It's originally from KC, with some franchisees slowly popping up across the country (slowly).

I'd put them up against any other donut shop in the world. My kryptonite: Chocolate Iced LaMar's Bar with White Fluff filling (the Chocolate Fluff filling is a close second).

i ate to many crispy kreams. now i suffer from cruller blindness!

We have a local 'mom & pop' bakery several blocks away from home that has REALLY good donuts and rolls! They stay open until they're sold-out....usually by 10:30 or 11:00 am. Our locally owned grocery store has a good bakery, too! (2 donuts and coffee for $1 :D ) Dunkin' Donuts is about a mile up the road...they're OK. And our local Krogers carries my favorite.....Krispie Kreme!!!!

I LOVE the KK chocolate glazed, custard filled ones!!! They're my all time fave!!!

I have a friend who occasionally takes orders, and then drives to the KK store about 40 miles away, and brings back a van load!!! He should be heading that way pretty soon, too! Gotta get my order in!!! :D :D

Certainly not above eating a donut occasionally, but I'd much prefer an omelet or some whole-wheat, blueberry pancakes w/ real maple syrple...

HFWR said:
Certainly not above eating a donut occasionally, but I'd much prefer an omelet or some whole-wheat, blueberry pancakes w/ real maple syrple...

OMG, those pancakes sound divine. I haven't had real maple syrup in ages.

Back
Top Bottom