Join Early Retirement Today

laundry!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

laundry!

Given this forums knack for efficiency - I want to know how everyone tackles their weekly laundry?

Especially those w/ kids - we do laundry for two adults and two babes and it piles up - especially cuz daddy works out so that's more than one outfit per day.

We also both work full time so time is of the essence.

How often do you do it? who does it? how long does it take? details are appreciated...

Also have to let my teen son rotate his loads in too...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: laundry!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

About once a week.

Happy National Hanging Out Day!

Old 04-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

three to four loads all on Saturday when electricity is cheaper.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We just bought the gigundo bosch 3.8something cubic foot front loader. One load of whites, one load of colors twice a week.

Definitely a big improvement over our old 2.8 cubic foot machine.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm single. I bought enough clothes to last me two weeks. Then I figure I get several wears out of each pair of pants So I do laundry anywhere from two weeks to 3 weeks or until I spill on myself.
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:42 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

While we were raising kids and working, I did all the laundry on Saturday. When DS1 was about 12, he took over all kid's laundry. Now we're retired and we have one load of whites and one load of darks per week. I never minded doing laundry; I hate cleaning bathrooms though.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:15 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

For maximum efficiency I recommend you bring it all in to my laundromat, located here: link

Seriously though my wife starts cranking out the laundry once the mountain on our closet floor reaches epic size.

There is usually much attached griping as well, that is an essential part of the process.

- John

MODERATOR EDIT: Shortened URL
runchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:19 AM   #8

When my laundry basket fills to the top, I have exactly 1 load,
and am usually starting to run out of something. This occurs
about every 5-7 days, more often if it is raining or very hot.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPigeon
I'm single. I bought enough clothes to last me two weeks. Then I figure I get several wears out of each pair of pants So I do laundry anywhere from two weeks to 3 weeks or until I spill on myself.
Heyyy...thats MY old approach...I owned roughly two weeks worth of suits, shirts and ties, and the jeans/teeshirts/sweatshirts just didnt get worn enough to ever become a gating factor.

Then I had to explain to my wife when she asked "Why the #$^# do you have so many suits, shirts and ties?!?"

"slow dry cleaner...:
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:09 AM   #10

2 persons, 2 loads p.w.
Both go into the washer on Sunday evening, get hung outside or in the basement on Monday and get folded or ironed on Monday evening if weather was good or on Thursday if weather was not good.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:23 AM   #11

I have no idea. I think we have a washer and dryer in the basement.

Ask my wife

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:59 AM   #12

For two people I have about 3 loads a week, one white, one color and one delicate. Every other week I have an extra load for sheets.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:29 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

seems we run about 2-3 loads a week for a HH of 2. DH does the laundry so he knows the details. (Yes, you read that right--I have the world's best hubby )
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:36 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPigeon

I have done you a bit better....

I have enough soxs and underwear for at least a month... they have their own basket for a full load... when the clean basket is close to empty I take the full basket and dump in the washer...

I have a month worth of 'work' shirts.. and the same of other shirts... but this can be a BIG pile as it shows today... I will be washing about 5 or 6 loads tomorrow... one for towels, two for pants and shorts, two or three for shirts... the soxs and undies have a couple more weeks...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

2 adults, 2 teenagers, Once a week if possible on the weekend, I'll take a guess at 3 to 4 loads. In the summer, DW hangs the close outside to drive, partially to save costs, also she says she likes the way they feel. We joined the gym little over a month ago, so maybe one more load per week. Have oversize washing mashine. DW also does special loads for coats, gloves, running shoes, hats, ski pants etc.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
I have no idea. I think we have a washer and dryer in the basement.

Ask my wife

Wow, worked that out BEFORE marriage? Good for you!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #17

Wow, I'm impressed with how little you all get alway with! SO works outside in the mud and gets very dirty ( ) so we have usually 3-4 loads a week I'd guess. His clothes go straight from the body to bathroom floor to washer. I add in my stuff as it comes along. When the washer's full we run it.

In the summer I set aside whites for a separate wash. In the winter I take them out of the drawer and run them through with bleach once a month or so. There isn't much white except SO's socks in the winter and who really cares if they start to get gray. Pink is a problem though.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Two methods to handle laundry:

Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 AM   #19

When I worked full time and had 2 little kids at home, I did all my laundry on Sundays.

Changed all beds and sheets and did the 3 of our laundry. We had to have more clothes that we do now.

Now, I still do sheets and towels and my clothes on Sunday, and do another load of towels and my clothes mid week. My DS doesn't do his laundry enough for my taste, so occasionally I grab his and wash it too.

I wash my bedspread weekly since I have a cat who sheds on it, so I do 4 to 5 loads a week...
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude

Wow, worked that out BEFORE marriage? Good for you!
Actually I did, funny you should ask.

I am not what you would call a new age man, metrosexual, whatever. Before I got married I informed my wife that she could do laundry, clean the house, take care of the pets, and the kids when we have them. I in return would earn the $$$, buy her a nice house, take her nice places, and treat her like a queen.

It works out well for both of us, and as a result I have not done a load of laudry since I was a sophmore in college what was 11 years ago.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote