Lawn Sprays.

Maximillion

Full time employment: Posting here.
Our 7 pound yorkie went into severe convulsions and tremors, so bad we rushed him into the Vets, On emeregncy.

A day later, having had his stomache cleaned and put on IV to flush his system, the Vets prognosis is that someone in our area used a chemical on their lawns to kill weeds and he walked on their lawn.

Professionals tag the lawns to let you know they have been sprayed, but DIY , you don't know they have applied Weed N' Feed.

The bags say, stay off or 48 hours, but I wonder how many people apply this stuff, then let their kids go play on the grass??

Our town is debating banning weed killer applications, a move I will now support, the rain washes this stuff into the waterways, eventually ends up in drinking water.

Dog is fine, but Parents and other pet owners, be aware, the chemicals spread on lawns is harmful.

Yikes!

Two dogs here - 4 mo old PUG and 4 yr Golden. Am in the process along with Walmart Garden Center of relearning everthing I forgot about lawns 30 yrs ago.

Something to keep in mind.

We have flower gardens and a small lawn. I don't use insecticides beyond homemade insecticidal soap and BT. I don't use weed killer and most days I go out and dig a few dandelions out of the lawn. I pull weeds daily out of the flower beds. There are always weeds, but they don't get away from me if I pull daily. The worst are the grasses that seems to come up everywhere. I try to crowd the weeds out by planting the flowers close.

The lawn and gardens are not worth the risks of exposing ourselves and our pets to chemicals on a regular basis.

To fertilize I use compost, blood meal and bone meal.

I have used the all purpose all encompassing killer Roundup in the past in select areas but have used utmost care (gloves, no wind, no pets).

I'm no gardener, but I do enjoy taking a blow torch to weeds once in a while.    I don't think it works very well, but blow torches are cool!

And don't forget:

Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them.    -- Eeyore

Back
Top Bottom