Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We just got an estimate for $588 for a 25x15 foot concrete floor at FIL's house covered in indoor/outdoor carpeting. Sounds reasonable to me especially since my knee already hurts without kicking anything with it.

Easy decision to write that check.
Walt,
Was this estimate for indoor/outdoor carpeting or remove that carpeting and install carpeting and padding for $588? I'd go for that in a heartbeat.
Maybe I need to check elsewhere besides HD,Lowes,CarpetBarn.
Found a nice 15 year berber at a discount hardware store for a reasonable price, but unsure of installation price and quality.
BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
After putting down the strips (carpeting installers would charge an additional $1.50 per square foot to install strips-that's almost a grand!) ...
Bob
I'm wondering why the strips are priced by square foot of carpeting. Seems like the strips would be priced by linear foot because materials and labor are more closely related to linear measure of strip than they are to square foot of carpeting. I dunno.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Walt,
Was this estimate for indoor/outdoor carpeting or remove that carpeting and install carpeting and padding for $588? I'd go for that in a heartbeat.
Maybe I need to check elsewhere besides HD,Lowes,CarpetBarn.
Found a nice 15 year berber at a discount hardware store for a reasonable price, but unsure of installation price and quality.
That was for the carpet over the tar/glue stuff that was underneath the old 12"x12" tiles. We already took up the tiles. That was an easy job with the long handled scraper, but of course it's messy. DW and her sister did the bulk of it.

The $588 was an in-store guesstimate, they're coming out tomorrow to take exact measurements and give us a hard number. I don't expect it'll be much different. This is at a local shop, not a chain I think. DW went there and stopped in on impulse when on another errand.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:35 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

The conversation with the sales rep went something like this:
Them - "Oh, you want that carpeting for $1.25 per square foot?. Ok, if you want it installed, that will be an additional $1.75 per square foot to install it - or we can install your entire house for $500. And that comes with free removal of your old carpeting."
Me - "No thanks, I just want my basement done, and there is no carpet there presently."
Them - "Oh, it is in your basement, are the tack strips already there?"
Me - "No, how much more is that"
Them - "Well, we add an additional $1 per square foot, but since it is in the basement, that would be $1.50 per square foot"
Me - "And if I did the tack strips myself, I could save that amount?"
Them - "Yes, many people do it that way"
Me - "Thank you"
...and that is where I am at present. I bought the tack strips I need for about $35 and plan to nail them down this weekend. Maybe have a party with the thousand bucks I save...lol.

I guess they do that so they can make some good money off of you and so they don't need to think about linear footage of the tack strips. Who knows...
Old 09-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #25

I've priced carpeting installs a few times, and every time the estimates included installing tack strips as needed. It seems unusual to me that would be a seperate line item.

I think I'd shop around a bit more to find someone who will install them for free as part of the install. Home depot and costco were two places I recall including everything for free, although costco was too expensive for me and I don't like home depot's installers so I ended up at an independent carpet place.

I wouldn't worry too much about tack strips coming out due to poor installation. The tack strips in my concrete floor seemed to be the originals installed 35 years ago when the place was built, and showed no signs of coming unattached. In my limited experience with hammer nailing into concrete, either it works right the first time or it doesn't.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #26

Quote:
The conversation with the sales rep went something like this:
Them - "Oh, you want that carpeting for $1.25 per square foot?. Ok, if you want it installed, that will be an additional $1.75 per square foot to install it - or we can install your entire house for $500. And that comes with free removal of your old carpeting."
Me - "No thanks, I just want my basement done, and there is no carpet there presently."
Them - "Oh, it is in your basement, are the tack strips already there?"
Me - "No, how much more is that"
Them - "Well, we add an additional $1 per square foot, but since it is in the basement, that would be $1.50 per square foot"
Me - "And if I did the tack strips myself, I could save that amount?"
Them - "Yes, many people do it that way"
Me - "Thank you"
...and that is where I am at present. I bought the tack strips I need for about $35 and plan to nail them down this weekend. Maybe have a party with the thousand bucks I save...lol.

I guess they do that so they can make some good money off of you and so they don't need to think about linear footage of the tack strips. Who knows...
I am sure you know how far from the walls to install them. Leaving an appropriage gap to ensure your carpet will "tuck in tightly".
Old 09-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #27

We received the final number on the indoor/outdoor carpet for the basement - $692, which includes the stairway to the basement, not discussed at the initial meeting. So I'll take that deal.

They're also going to provide an estimate on refinishing the hardwood floors. That's pretty low on my list of priorities for the house but it doesn't hurt to know the amount.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:53 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Gonna have it done by someone else

Thank you all for your opinions on this deal. DW and I checked out carpeting at several places and decided on a little better carpet that we really like. For $249 they will install it, plus $9 x 13 steps extra. I'll put down the tack strips and they will do the rest. One of the determining factors was that there was a slight pattern to the one we liked, and to do it myself would involve lining up the pattern correctly and it just was beginning to not "feel right". We are content with our decision.

Thanks again for everyone's input. They will come out to measure this week and install in a couple weeks. Now, I can concentrate on putting down the tack strips, some track lighting, and the sump-pump backup unit. I will share pictures of before/after if anyone is interested.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:55 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
I am sure you know how far from the walls to install them. Leaving an appropriage gap to ensure your carpet will "tuck in tightly".
Yeah, unfortunately, it seems that everyone has their own "standard", but generally I am seeing 3/8 inches from baseboard. When the guy comes to measure, I will ask him what he likes and do it how he wants to see it, suggesting 3/8 inches.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:58 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....and the sump-pump backup unit.
well, this is pretty important in a finished basement. You don't want to have to rip out that new carpet.

What are you going with?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
What are you going with?
Since I have public water, I opted to go with a water-based unit.
A co-worker recommended this one, so I have purchased it (about 6 months ago, but not yet installed it). I think it was around $150 for the unit. The only thing that might wear (that I can tell) is failure at seals, and worse case, I pay for some extra water loss. That is, unless something major happens.
Home Guard back up sump pump system by Zoeller Pump Company

Once installed, I will add the testing of this unit as one of those monthly/quarterly maintenance items.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

When I lived on the farm I had a battery backup unit that I neglected to replace the battery, and lost power and of course, ended up with a flooded basement. Had well water on the farm tho, so a water-based backup unit was not an option.

I like this option. Now I just need to take the time to install it. Likely this week, maybe tonight.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good choice. If I was on municipal water, that is what I would do.

I've got all my test cycles on stuff around the house based on timing of quarterly estimated tax payments - why not add to the fun?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote