Join Early Retirement Today

Re: LazyDays
Old 08-18-2006, 10:09 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Okay, you guys are really freaking me out with the Cute and FUzzy name change

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #42

I appreciate the descriptions. We're planning to take a tour of Florida over DH's CHristmas break. I've only been to FL once, 20 years ago, and only went to Sanibel Island and DisneyWorld. I'm looking forward to visiting friends, a variety of Atlantic and Gulf Coast beaches, state parks, manatees... I'm thinking about renting a trailer that we can pull with our 4Runner, which has the towing package--better shocks, a hitch, bigger engine, 4WD. Since we love camping, I'm certain we'll enjoy it--unless we have to deal with a lot of mechanical problems. Maybe we'll buy one when DH fully retires and we have a better idea what we'd like (trailer, class C, fifth wheel...) and can afford. Reliability is a big issue for me. That's why I currently lean toward a Lazy Daze--I drool over this year's anniversary edition (30 footer). sigh--that material-girl streak pops through my frugal shell occasionally!

And I'm not the least bit offended by talk of human waste in this context. Maybe it's all the pit toilets I've used over the years--I'm so grateful for any kind of plumbing.

PS--If you have to have an apocalypse, best to have a cute & fuzzy one

Old 08-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Part-timing has been a dream for me for quite a while. Here's a link to a couple who just finished their first year of full-timing. *When they started out I believe he had never really towed a trailer before. *He's an accountant/attorney and gives a detailed accounting of expenses, etc. Quite Type A but very interesting and enlightening.
http://rv-dreams.typepad.com/rvdream...one_year_.html

Reading that site and The Adventures of Tioga and George http://vagabonders-supreme.net/get me through the week!

Judy

Old 08-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #44

I was just wondering...if you wanted to take a camping trip nowadays, say, just with your car and a tent, are there still places where you can pitch a tent for free? Aren't campgrounds kinda expensive these days?

Back in 1992, I had fantasized about spending the summer in California. My plan was to land a summer job at a May company out there (I worked for a May store called Hecht's in Maryland) for a few months, and rent a room somewhere. I was going to just take about 2 weeks to drive out, at my own pace, and sleep in the car. And then, take about 2 weeks to drive back in August.

I never got the chance to do that, and it was probably a silly fantasy. But I think it woulda been fun.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute & Fuzzy Apocalypse
I woke up early in the morning, about 9AMm and my mother and girlfriends were all sitting around the kitchen table talking about constipation.*
So how may constipated girlfriends did you have? Were you a vector?

Ha
Old 08-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #46

Thanks for the descriptions...it really helped.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:15 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

It's context-sensitive. Here at work (I work in a hospital) we talk about body secretions, functions, and hiding places all the time without so much as blinking an eye. But out with friends I sometimes have to restrain myself from recoiling at the slightest hint of someone reporting on their peristaltic status.

Similarly, I have had my share of contact with every possible human byproduct, not to mention evil microbes. No problem. But ask me to change someone else's kid's full diaper, and I'm out of there (my own kids' diapers were no problem but that was 30 years ago).

Not sure where black water will fit into this quandry .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:24 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
It's context-sensitive. Here at work (I work in a hospital) we talk about body secretions, functions, and hiding places all the time without so much as blinking an eye. But out with friends I sometimes have to restrain myself from recoiling at the slightest hint of someone reporting on their peristaltic status.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P* Ugh.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:16 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
So how may constipated girlfriends did you have? Were you a vector?
Yes, now that I think about it for a while. I can't remember the number of times while out on dates where I thought "Man-oh-man, this young lady is loose and it's gonna be an easy time tonite." But then, later in the evening, I find out she was just a tight a**. I think this is primarily a male disease where one's symptoms show up in the female counterpart. A truely unique and distressing disease. I suspect you've had similar experiences?

Dang! I try to be good and then everybody starts baiting me. Bad, Ha, bad!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:37 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I was just wondering...if you wanted to take a camping trip nowadays, say, just with your car and a tent, are there still places where you can pitch a tent for free? Aren't campgrounds kinda expensive these days?
BLM land and most national forests allow free camping. Some states allow sleeping in the car at rest stops.

State parks are fairly cheap. A few national parks don't charge entrance fees and charge only minimal camp site fees.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute & Fuzzy Apocalypse
Yes, now that I think about it for a while.* I can't remember the number of times while out on dates where I thought "Man-oh-man, this young lady is loose and it's gonna be an easy time tonite."* But then, later in the evening, I find out she was just a tight a**.* I think this is primarily a male disease where one's symptoms show up in the female counterpart.* A truely unique and distressing disease.* I suspect you've had similar experiences?

Dang!* I try to be good and then everybody starts baiting me.* ** Bad, Ha, bad!
Man, I'm not baiting you. I'm funning you!

Ha
Old 08-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In perspective, sounds like it's an unpleasant but relatively minor part of the lifestyle, at least when everything is working as it should.
Just don't let pressure build up in the tank...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blowing sanitaries.jpg (26.4 KB, 124 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Blowing sanitaries.jpg_thumb (28.8 KB, 0 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:55 PM   #53

Rich et al
Renting the RV is a great way to capture if the RV experience is for you--you get to learn and "appreciate" everything from dumping tanks to being able to park at that great place on the river and enjoy it as long as you want.
We rented a Cruise America repostioning unit and found it a* low cost way to get a feel for the experience.* Cheapest daily rate I could find.* I checked their site http://www.cruiseamerica.com/hot_rental_deals.asp and they have 17 units coming from Florida--8 or 9 in Tampa.* For $24/day tough to match.* That is the good news.* These units are ones they are bringing back to their home plant in Arizona for refurbishment prior to sale so all are not pristene.* In our unit, the oven did not work but everything else was fine but we are not super picky.* Unit had 65K miles but drove fine and we had no issues.*
We got an inexpensive week vacation and most importantly actually did the RV thing and were much much better equiped to know what we wanted in a unit when we started to shop.* You can learn a lot talking to owners each night in the parks.* Most owners love to show off their units so if you see something you like, just ask. They usually have some great stories about how they got it and what they learned.* I was and still am amazed how many people seem to get a unit every couple of years.* Trend is start around 30' go to 38-40 and then work back down.
Give it a spin.* Until you try it all the research won't mean much
Good luck on your choice.
nwsteve
Old 08-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve
Renting the RV is a great way to capture if the RV experience is for you--you get to learn and "appreciate" everything from dumping tanks to being able to park at that great place on the river and enjoy it as long as you want.
I can really see your point. I'll check out the rentals -- we have a short break in October which might be just right for this kind of thing. Will follow-up on the link you included.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #55

We ended up with our 23 1/2 foot Lazy Daze because, after lots of experience, we ended up liking to travel slowly to a destination and then sit for a while, a few days to a week. When we had our VW bus, we ususally travelled more and sat less. We liked the ability to go into town in the evening for dinner, visit carnivals, etc. All these things are harder to do with a larger vehicle. You really have to try a variety of sizes to get a feel for what suits you, what compromises work. We've become more homebodies; in the evening we just like to sit and watch TV or puruse the internet. During the day, we motorcycle around visiting sites. It's just easier for both of us that way.

The other big isssue with size, the one that always bothers me in various ways, is how frequently they are used. Our VW was used as a second car. If we went a hundred or two miles away, we always drove it. It allowed us to uncramp a bit, go back for cold soda, etc. If DW went on a shopping trip and I was bored I'd just sit in the back with my feet up reading a book or newspaper. When working all day on my apartments, it was nice to go out to the VW and eat lunch away from renters. We ended up using it for about half, or more, of our driving. The bigger rigs just can't be used that way. It's just a bigger production every time it's pulled out. Planning is always required. You have to think a bit harder about how you get to places, where you stay, and what you are limited in doing after you get there (should you tow a car?). The VW-size was easiest. No matter where we were in the country, all I had to do was stop at a Wal-Mart or ask a 7-11 attendant if I could spend the nite in back. It ususally took less than ten minutes from the time we decided to bed-down until we were. But we paid for it by being cramped all the time. Everytime I wiggled, DW had to twitch a bit.

So I'm still fond of smaller and not just because of the current gas prices. Renting or borrowing is probably the best way to find your sweet spot.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:36 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Definately rent an Rv first.
I had grown up traveling in one and DH had seen my parent's and siblings Motor homes when they came to visit. (Yeah aftertraveling as kids everyone is hooked on the rv lifestlye.) But renting one for 3 weeks (32ft Class A ) sold him on wanting to travel this way when we RE.
His biggest worry about The black and grey water stuff became no big deal. My biggest worry about whether the place we were going to stop would be a "good" campground vanished when we stoped at some lousy ones and just locked up and spent the night in our "House"and left in the morning- it didn't matter what it was like outside our door. We did have a list of things we would like when we purchase. things we would never have thought of like rear stablizera and two ac units..etc
Thanks for the Cuise America link The repositioning rates would be a great way to rent a small C to see if we could be happy in one that size.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:37 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not sure where black water will fit into this quandry .

Just don't let it get anywhere near your manhatten glasses.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

The Poop Sheets by Phred http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html include several "essays" on the handling of RV waste.*

Once upon a time when we had a Casita (at tiny fiberglass trailer), we had a 15 gallon black tank, and a 25 gallon grey water tank.* I think the blank tank was OK for at least 5 days.* Grey - it depended on how miserly you were with water usage (showers, dishwashing) 4 days might push it unless you were really careful.* We travelled around with one of those blue tote thingies.* Empty the gray water in that and then pull it to the dump station behind our towing SUV.* Otherwise with these tank sizes, you might count on driving your class C to the dump station every 3 or 4 days.* Some people use the campground showers to prolong the inevitable.

If you only use your RV for short trips, empty and flush the tanks before storing.* Otherwise it'll get smelly.* We always dumped our tanks before putting our Casita away.

I just haven't researched class C's that much.* I know that LazyDaze product is considered top notch.* *I've always admired the BornFree and Chinook line (those are actually class B?), but they are outrageously expensive.* Winnebago has a reputation as a slightly better manufacturer perhaps than Gulf Stream, but neither is considered very top notch.* Very, very few RV manufacturers are considered top notch.

Seriously - spend time on the trailerlife Class B forum and see what people have to say about the quality of these different Class C manufacturers.* http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/in...s/forum/23.cfm

For serious research, spend some bucks at http://www.rv.org/.* They have a great book that teaches you how to evaluate an RV.* Plus they have a comparison type database that will let you see how different manufacturers rate in terms of quality.* The ratings are perhaps somewhat subjective and a bit outdated, but there is an awful lot of incredibly useful data there.

Audrey
Old 08-19-2006, 08:42 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Audrey on using www.rv.org.

Rich, I have their book called "How to Select, Inspect and Buy and RV" from when we were shopping about three years ago. If you want the book, pm me your address. We are done with it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
For serious research, spend some bucks at http://www.rv.org/.* They have a great book that teaches you how to evaluate an RV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I agree with Audrey on using www.rv.org.
Audrey and Martha,

I have heard of rv.org and their book.* *If you don't mind, could you tell me the 2 or 3 most relevant things you've learned from that book?* I want to order it, but not sure of its worth (I'm frugal).

Thanks,
Sam