LazyDays

Re: LazyDays

Cute & Fuzzy Apocalypse said:
Yes, now that I think about it for a while.  I can't remember the number of times while out on dates where I thought "Man-oh-man, this young lady is loose and it's gonna be an easy time tonite."  But then, later in the evening, I find out she was just a tight a**.  I think this is primarily a male disease where one's symptoms show up in the female counterpart.  A truely unique and distressing disease.  I suspect you've had similar experiences?

Dang!  I try to be good and then everybody starts baiting me.   ;)  Bad, Ha, bad!

Man, I'm not baiting you. I'm funning you! :)

Ha

Rich_in_Tampa said:
In perspective, sounds like it's an unpleasant but relatively minor part of the lifestyle, at least when everything is working as it should.
Just don't let pressure build up in the tank...

Attachments

• Blowing sanitaries.jpg
    Blowing sanitaries.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Blowing sanitaries.jpg_thumb
    28.8 KB · Views: 0

Rich et al
Renting the RV is a great way to capture if the RV experience is for you--you get to learn and "appreciate" everything from dumping tanks to being able to park at that great place on the river and enjoy it as long as you want.
We rented a Cruise America repostioning unit and found it a  low cost way to get a feel for the experience.  Cheapest daily rate I could find.  I checked their site http://www.cruiseamerica.com/hot_rental_deals.asp and they have 17 units coming from Florida--8 or 9 in Tampa.  For $24/day tough to match.  That is the good news.  These units are ones they are bringing back to their home plant in Arizona for refurbishment prior to sale so all are not pristene.  In our unit, the oven did not work but everything else was fine but we are not super picky.  Unit had 65K miles but drove fine and we had no issues. 
We got an inexpensive week vacation and most importantly actually did the RV thing and were much much better equiped to know what we wanted in a unit when we started to shop.  You can learn a lot talking to owners each night in the parks.  Most owners love to show off their units so if you see something you like, just ask. They usually have some great stories about how they got it and what they learned.  I was and still am amazed how many people seem to get a unit every couple of years.  Trend is start around 30' go to 38-40 and then work back down.
Give it a spin.  Until you try it all the research won't mean much
Good luck on your choice.
nwsteve

nwsteve said:
Renting the RV is a great way to capture if the RV experience is for you--you get to learn and "appreciate" everything from dumping tanks to being able to park at that great place on the river and enjoy it as long as you want.

I can really see your point. I'll check out the rentals -- we have a short break in October which might be just right for this kind of thing. Will follow-up on the link you included.

We ended up with our 23 1/2 foot Lazy Daze because, after lots of experience, we ended up liking to travel slowly to a destination and then sit for a while, a few days to a week. When we had our VW bus, we ususally travelled more and sat less. We liked the ability to go into town in the evening for dinner, visit carnivals, etc. All these things are harder to do with a larger vehicle. You really have to try a variety of sizes to get a feel for what suits you, what compromises work. We've become more homebodies; in the evening we just like to sit and watch TV or puruse the internet. During the day, we motorcycle around visiting sites. It's just easier for both of us that way.

The other big isssue with size, the one that always bothers me in various ways, is how frequently they are used. Our VW was used as a second car. If we went a hundred or two miles away, we always drove it. It allowed us to uncramp a bit, go back for cold soda, etc. If DW went on a shopping trip and I was bored I'd just sit in the back with my feet up reading a book or newspaper. When working all day on my apartments, it was nice to go out to the VW and eat lunch away from renters. We ended up using it for about half, or more, of our driving. The bigger rigs just can't be used that way. It's just a bigger production every time it's pulled out. Planning is always required. You have to think a bit harder about how you get to places, where you stay, and what you are limited in doing after you get there (should you tow a car?). The VW-size was easiest. No matter where we were in the country, all I had to do was stop at a Wal-Mart or ask a 7-11 attendant if I could spend the nite in back. It ususally took less than ten minutes from the time we decided to bed-down until we were. But we paid for it by being cramped all the time. Everytime I wiggled, DW had to twitch a bit.

So I'm still fond of smaller and not just because of the current gas prices. Renting or borrowing is probably the best way to find your sweet spot.

Definately rent an Rv first.
I had grown up traveling in one and DH had seen my parent's and siblings Motor homes when they came to visit. (Yeah aftertraveling as kids everyone is hooked on the rv lifestlye.) But renting one for 3 weeks (32ft Class A ) sold him on wanting to travel this way when we RE.
His biggest worry about The black and grey water stuff became no big deal. My biggest worry about whether the place we were going to stop would be a "good" campground vanished when we stoped at some lousy ones and just locked up and spent the night in our "House"and left in the morning- it didn't matter what it was like outside our door. We did have a list of things we would like when we purchase. things we would never have thought of like rear stablizera and two ac units..etc
Thanks for the Cuise America link The repositioning rates would be a great way to rent a small C to see if we could be happy in one that size.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Not sure where black water will fit into this quandry ;).

Just don't let it get anywhere near your manhatten glasses.

The Poop Sheets by Phred http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html include several "essays" on the handling of RV waste. 

Once upon a time when we had a Casita (at tiny fiberglass trailer), we had a 15 gallon black tank, and a 25 gallon grey water tank.  I think the blank tank was OK for at least 5 days.  Grey - it depended on how miserly you were with water usage (showers, dishwashing) 4 days might push it unless you were really careful.  We travelled around with one of those blue tote thingies.  Empty the gray water in that and then pull it to the dump station behind our towing SUV.  Otherwise with these tank sizes, you might count on driving your class C to the dump station every 3 or 4 days.  Some people use the campground showers to prolong the inevitable.

If you only use your RV for short trips, empty and flush the tanks before storing.  Otherwise it'll get smelly.  We always dumped our tanks before putting our Casita away.

I just haven't researched class C's that much.  I know that LazyDaze product is considered top notch.   I've always admired the BornFree and Chinook line (those are actually class B?), but they are outrageously expensive.  Winnebago has a reputation as a slightly better manufacturer perhaps than Gulf Stream, but neither is considered very top notch.  Very, very few RV manufacturers are considered top notch.

Seriously - spend time on the trailerlife Class B forum and see what people have to say about the quality of these different Class C manufacturers.  http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/23.cfm

For serious research, spend some bucks at http://www.rv.org/.  They have a great book that teaches you how to evaluate an RV.  Plus they have a comparison type database that will let you see how different manufacturers rate in terms of quality.  The ratings are perhaps somewhat subjective and a bit outdated, but there is an awful lot of incredibly useful data there.

Audrey

I agree with Audrey on using www.rv.org.

Rich, I have their book called "How to Select, Inspect and Buy and RV" from when we were shopping about three years ago. If you want the book, pm me your address. We are done with it.

audreyh1 said:
For serious research, spend some bucks at http://www.rv.org/.  They have a great book that teaches you how to evaluate an RV.

Martha said:
I agree with Audrey on using www.rv.org.

Audrey and Martha,

I have heard of rv.org and their book.   If you don't mind, could you tell me the 2 or 3 most relevant things you've learned from that book?  I want to order it, but not sure of its worth (I'm frugal).

Thanks,
Sam

So, we did some RV explorations this weekend and came to the unanimous conclusion that we would both enjoy trying this lifestyle/hobby. While cross-country and extended-stay trips would have to wait a few years (work), we are in a world-class long weekend trip situation: tons of great state parks and commercial campgrounds within 150 miles (Gulf coast, esutary parks, swamp parks, the keys (a bit farther, but easily done in a 4-5 day break), quaint cities like St. Augustine, Cedar Key, Disney when the gkids visit, etc.).

Not to mention the fact that we love music festivals and other full day outings, and this would let us have a new comfort level for that, and to bring our dog along so we didn't have to arrange a kennel. Yes, indeed, sounds nice. On the morbid side, what better way to evacuate under a hurricane threat some day.

We also decided that the Winnebago View (or the identical Itaska Navion) is the right choice. My only reservation was a CCC of about 340 lbs, but I learned that this included 34 gallons of fresh water (282 lbs). So in practice, almost no one has to travel with that much fresh water unless you are on your way to boondock somewhere. With a more sensible 5 gallons of fresh water while en route, the CCC is more than adequate for us at 570 lbs. Of course a trailer can always be added as necessary. Cost will be low $70k's plus 7% tax.

Unfortunately, I also learned that storage of the thing is a show-stopper. No room at our house. Nearest storage is 20 minutes away, is uncovered and in a higher crime part of town. Decent covered storage is 40 minutes away and $275 a month. Add that to insurance and vehicle maintenance, and we decided it's hard to justify from both a financial and convenience perspective.

Tantalizing, but looks like we'd best wait until I FIRE or at least til we downsize and can have a place to park the thing (10' tall, 25' long). <sigh>

Do you have room for the Airstream Sprinter Westfalia?

mak566_14.jpg

Nice for long weekends. You can get it new for less than $60,000 despite what the MSRP says. Length is 18.5", height 11" and width 6.8". The height may be the issue. We though about this one and lifting our garage to accommodate the height.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Unfortunately, I also learned that storage of the thing is a show-stopper. No room at our house. Nearest storage is 20 minutes away, is uncovered and in a higher crime part of town. Decent covered storage is 40 minutes away and $275 a month. Add that to insurance and vehicle maintenance, and we decided it's hard to justify from both a financial and convenience perspective.

Tantalizing, but looks like we'd best wait until I FIRE or at least til we downsize and can have a place to park the thing (10' tall, 25' long). <sigh>

Did you look at other modestly sized RVs? There are a number that are not as tall or as long that should be more than serviceable for two people and a dog. What is your specific space limitation? I know that most any of the Class B's would fit nicely in my driveway, for example.

We purchased our first two motorhomes from Lazydays, but we wanted a Dutch Star this time and had to go elsewhere.  Always found them to fair but not always the best price.

The secret to avoiding the depreciation hit the first year is to negotiate a great deal.  I often hear people that they received 10-15% off MSRP, and I just cringe.  They will be underwater on their loan when they go sell a few years down the road.  Discounts from MSRP can be 25-30% if you are willing to walk out.

Buy a model that you are comfortable with, if you dont, you will the next time.  We went from a 36' to 38' and now a 40' with a king size bed over a 5 year period.

Just IMHO

Dave

Martha said:
Do you have room for the Airstream Sprinter Westfalia?

Nice for long weekends. You can get it new for less than $60,000 despite what the MSRP says. Length is 18.5", height 11" and width 6.8". The height may be the issue. We though about this one and lifting our garage to accommodate the height.

We looked at the Westfalia and the Pleasure-way Plateau (nicest of the Class B's we have seen). Our garage allows about 83" of clearance and maybe 21' length. Not enough. I could look into lifting the garage, but we don't figure to be in this house more than another 3-4 years. There are some issues in our city with leaving RVs in the driveway permanently if taller than 9'. I'm 6' tall and would need at least 10' exterior (including the AC) in order to stand up inside.

The View is really pretty compact as Class C's go. Since even the Class B still doesn't solve the storage problems for us, we felt we'd go with the Class C for its comfort and space.

That said, the two above RVs are really nice if you don't need more cabin space. They are similarly priced to the sprinter-based C's, by the way. If it fit in my garage, I'd probably consider the Pleasure-way and trade up in a few years.

Rich_in_Tampa said:

Rich: I liked the taller Airstream also. But, then those dang compromises start. Is your garage attached or semi-detached? If not attached, it might be worthwhile to have someone come out for an estimate. If detached, just raising it by a putting 2-3 layers of concrete blocks on the slab might be fairly cheap. Or a bumpout? Or both? Could you find a way to put it in the backyard, out of sight?

Sam said:
Audrey and Martha,

I have heard of rv.org and their book.   If you don't mind, could you tell me the 2 or 3 most relevant things you've learned from that book?  I want to order it, but not sure of its worth (I'm frugal).

Thanks,
Sam

It has been too long since I read it and I mailed my copy to Rich yesterday.  :)

One valuable thing I learned is how little regulatory oversight  there is over the RV industry.  When you buy a car, you are pretty comfortable that it isn't going to fall apart around you.  :) With rvs you have to be a lot more careful.   Underbuilt and overloaded rvs are a big problem. Another thing I learned was that you want an RV that doesn't have a million little things that go wrong with it resulting in many trips to the dealer to get it fixed.   Therefore you want to be sure you research in detail any brand and model you are interested in buying.

Look for safety and reliability before cosmetic features.

Another issue is pricing.  As mentioned on this thread a couple of times, the MSRP means less in the RV industry than it does in the auto industry. It is also hard to make sure you are comparing apples and oranges when you buy.  What are the options? What is included?  Many manufacturers seem to have a relatively low suggested price, but important things you want are options that cost extra.  Also, if they separate out the options when they talk about the carrying capacity and weight of the vehicle these option items probably won't be included, leaving the impression the vehicle can carry more than it can.

Or a bumpout? Or both? Could you find a way to put it in the backyard, out of sight?

Greg,

It's an attached brick-sided garage. Ideally I'd break out the back wall and tandem park it. However, the weight bearing joists are only 9' above ground, so that involves serious carpentry, a new door and opener, etc. Better to just raze it and build a new one of the right dimensions, and even that might require a variance (zoning appeals board from hell). Unfortunately, the back yard is not accessible to a vehicle otherwise.

We could keep it parked in the driveway, but all the way over to the outside (lose a few bushes, extend the slab 3 feet). This might allow me to sneak our cars around the parked RV but would put the thing right near our next door neighbor's windows, always outside and subject to the usual roaming kids. A tarp might help a little.

Overall, you can see why we decided it's probably just not worth it for now. Delayed gratification, I guess. But if you get any other ideas, throw them my way! I'm hoping that a neighborhood garage space rental will show up in the classifieds one day.

BTW, the View is really a nice rig.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Overall, you can see why we decided it's probably just not worth it for now. Delayed gratification, I guess. But if you get any other ideas, throw them my way! I'm hoping that a neighborhood garage space rental will show up in the classifieds one day.

BTW, the View is really a nice rig.

Totally random, since I think you had your heart set on the View/Navion, but we will be looking at a Chevy-based Roadtrek in October. One of the reasons it has piqued my interest is that at first glance, you cannot really tell it is an RM. It just looks like one of the tarted-up "conversion vans". Might be a little easier to park without the neighbors or the local authorities getting upset about having an RV parked nearby.

brewer12345 said:
Totally random, since I think you had your heart set on the View/Navion, but we will be looking at a Chevy-based Roadtrek in October. One of the reasons it has piqued my interest is that at first glance, you cannot really tell it is an RM. It just looks like one of the tarted-up "conversion vans". Might be a little easier to park without the neighbors or the local authorities getting upset about having an RV parked nearby.

Here is their site.

Look like nice units (and they have a sprinter version for those who care). Heights are 8'4" to 9'5" depending on model. The sprinter is much like the Pleasure-way Plateau.

Alas, still too tall for my 83" garage but definitely a nice compact unit. What I really need is a new garage.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Here is their site.

Look like nice units (and they have a sprinter version for those who care). Heights are 8'4" to 9'5" depending on model. The sprinter is much like the Pleasure-way Plateau.

Alas, still too tall for my 83" garage but definitely a nice compact unit. What I really need is a new garage.

Yeah, I saw that they were too tall for the garage. I just thought it might be feasible to park one in the driveway (or maybe even on the street).

brewer12345 said:
Not a cheap plaything by any means. I think that the best way to squeeze costs is to buy a 4 or 5 year old RV in decent shape and do your shopping in the off-season.

Years ago, when visiting my father in Florida, south of Tampa (retirement heaven?), I could not believe the number of RVs sitting in front yards with 'for sale' signs. My take, was that a spouse died or some other event happened, and the RV travel time was done. We stopped a couple of times to talk, and I spent a couple of hours calling Tel# we wrote down while passing. Some really good deals to my mind. The RVs were often low mileage, usually well taken care of, and owners were ready and willing to deal. (Trade ins/cash out values at dealers are notoriously low.) If you have the time to look, examine, and verify, buying from an owner can save a decent penny that could be better used traveling. Just like with buying used cars, I always tried to find oldsters who took care of things.

Years ago, when visiting my father in Florida, south of Tampa (retirement heaven?), I could not believe the number of RVs sitting in front yards with 'for sale' signs.  My take, was that a spouse died or some other event happened, and the RV travel time was done.  We stopped a couple of times to talk, and I spent a couple of hours calling Tel# we wrote down while passing.  Some really good deals to my mind.  The RVs were often low mileage, usually well taken care of, and owners were ready and willing to deal.  (Trade ins/cash out  values at dealers are notoriously low.)  If you have the time to look, examine, and verify, buying from an owner can save a decent penny that could be better used traveling.  Just like with buying used cars, I always tried to find oldsters who took care of things. 

Yeah, I think that is likely the source of a good deal. Now finding the time to actually look...

DW: Why don't you come home so that we can go camping? I'll cook. And bring some beer too. And swim trunks--maybe ;).

I am killing time waiting to see if my 9.6 million dollar closing failed.

Soon.

:-*

Back
Top Bottom