Join Early Retirement Today

Re: LazyDays
Old 08-21-2006, 08:53 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

So, we did some RV explorations this weekend and came to the unanimous conclusion that we would both enjoy trying this lifestyle/hobby. While cross-country and extended-stay trips would have to wait a few years (work), we are in a world-class long weekend trip situation: tons of great state parks and commercial campgrounds within 150 miles (Gulf coast, esutary parks, swamp parks, the keys (a bit farther, but easily done in a 4-5 day break), quaint cities like St. Augustine, Cedar Key, Disney when the gkids visit, etc.).

Not to mention the fact that we love music festivals and other full day outings, and this would let us have a new comfort level for that, and to bring our dog along so we didn't have to arrange a kennel. Yes, indeed, sounds nice. On the morbid side, what better way to evacuate under a hurricane threat some day.

We also decided that the Winnebago View (or the identical Itaska Navion) is the right choice. My only reservation was a CCC of about 340 lbs, but I learned that this included 34 gallons of fresh water (282 lbs). So in practice, almost no one has to travel with that much fresh water unless you are on your way to boondock somewhere. With a more sensible 5 gallons of fresh water while en route, the CCC is more than adequate for us at 570 lbs. Of course a trailer can always be added as necessary. Cost will be low $70k's plus 7% tax.

Unfortunately, I also learned that storage of the thing is a show-stopper. No room at our house. Nearest storage is 20 minutes away, is uncovered and in a higher crime part of town. Decent covered storage is 40 minutes away and $275 a month. Add that to insurance and vehicle maintenance, and we decided it's hard to justify from both a financial and convenience perspective.

Tantalizing, but looks like we'd best wait until I FIRE or at least til we downsize and can have a place to park the thing (10' tall, 25' long). <sigh>

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2006, 09:06 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have room for the Airstream Sprinter Westfalia?

Nice for long weekends. You can get it new for less than $60,000 despite what the MSRP says. Length is 18.5", height 11" and width 6.8". The height may be the issue. We though about this one and lifting our garage to accommodate the height.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Unfortunately, I also learned that storage of the thing is a show-stopper. No room at our house. Nearest storage is 20 minutes away, is uncovered and in a higher crime part of town. Decent covered storage is 40 minutes away and $275 a month. Add that to insurance and vehicle maintenance, and we decided it's hard to justify from both a financial and convenience perspective.

Tantalizing, but looks like we'd best wait until I FIRE or at least til we downsize and can have a place to park the thing (10' tall, 25' long). <sigh>
Did you look at other modestly sized RVs? There are a number that are not as tall or as long that should be more than serviceable for two people and a dog. What is your specific space limitation? I know that most any of the Class B's would fit nicely in my driveway, for example.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:39 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

We purchased our first two motorhomes from Lazydays, but we wanted a Dutch Star this time and had to go elsewhere.* Always found them to fair but not always the best price.

The secret to avoiding the depreciation hit the first year is to negotiate a great deal.* I often hear people that they received 10-15% off MSRP, and I just cringe.* They will be underwater on their loan when they go sell a few years down the road.* Discounts from MSRP can be 25-30% if you are willing to walk out.

Buy a model that you are comfortable with, if you dont, you will the next time.* We went from a 36' to 38' and now a 40' with a king size bed over a 5 year period.

Just IMHO

Dave
Old 08-21-2006, 10:15 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Do you have room for the Airstream Sprinter Westfalia?

Nice for long weekends. You can get it new for less than $60,000 despite what the MSRP says. Length is 18.5", height 11" and width 6.8". The height may be the issue. We though about this one and lifting our garage to accommodate the height.
We looked at the Westfalia and the Pleasure-way Plateau (nicest of the Class B's we have seen). Our garage allows about 83" of clearance and maybe 21' length. Not enough. I could look into lifting the garage, but we don't figure to be in this house more than another 3-4 years. There are some issues in our city with leaving RVs in the driveway permanently if taller than 9'. I'm 6' tall and would need at least 10' exterior (including the AC) in order to stand up inside.

The View is really pretty compact as Class C's go. Since even the Class B still doesn't solve the storage problems for us, we felt we'd go with the Class C for its comfort and space.

That said, the two above RVs are really nice if you don't need more cabin space. They are similarly priced to the sprinter-based C's, by the way. If it fit in my garage, I'd probably consider the Pleasure-way and trade up in a few years.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Rich: I liked the taller Airstream also. But, then those dang compromises start. Is your garage attached or semi-detached? If not attached, it might be worthwhile to have someone come out for an estimate. If detached, just raising it by a putting 2-3 layers of concrete blocks on the slab might be fairly cheap. Or a bumpout? Or both? Could you find a way to put it in the backyard, out of sight?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:43 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Audrey and Martha,

I have heard of rv.org and their book.* *If you don't mind, could you tell me the 2 or 3 most relevant things you've learned from that book?* I want to order it, but not sure of its worth (I'm frugal).

Thanks,
Sam
It has been too long since I read it and I mailed my copy to Rich yesterday. *

One valuable thing I learned is how little regulatory oversight *there is over the RV industry. *When you buy a car, you are pretty comfortable that it isn't going to fall apart around you. * With rvs you have to be a lot more careful. * Underbuilt and overloaded rvs are a big problem. Another thing I learned was that you want an RV that doesn't have a million little things that go wrong with it resulting in many trips to the dealer to get it fixed. * Therefore you want to be sure you research in detail any brand and model you are interested in buying.

Look for safety and reliability before cosmetic features.

Another issue is pricing. *As mentioned on this thread a couple of times, the MSRP means less in the RV industry than it does in the auto industry. It is also hard to make sure you are comparing apples and oranges when you buy. *What are the options? What is included? *Many manufacturers seem to have a relatively low suggested price, but important things you want are options that cost extra. *Also, if they separate out the options when they talk about the carrying capacity and weight of the vehicle these option items probably won't be included, leaving the impression the vehicle can carry more than it can.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute & Fuzzy Apocalypse
Or a bumpout? Or both? Could you find a way to put it in the backyard, out of sight?
Greg,

It's an attached brick-sided garage. Ideally I'd break out the back wall and tandem park it. However, the weight bearing joists are only 9' above ground, so that involves serious carpentry, a new door and opener, etc. Better to just raze it and build a new one of the right dimensions, and even that might require a variance (zoning appeals board from hell). Unfortunately, the back yard is not accessible to a vehicle otherwise.

We could keep it parked in the driveway, but all the way over to the outside (lose a few bushes, extend the slab 3 feet). This might allow me to sneak our cars around the parked RV but would put the thing right near our next door neighbor's windows, always outside and subject to the usual roaming kids. A tarp might help a little.

Overall, you can see why we decided it's probably just not worth it for now. Delayed gratification, I guess. But if you get any other ideas, throw them my way! I'm hoping that a neighborhood garage space rental will show up in the classifieds one day.

BTW, the View is really a nice rig.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Overall, you can see why we decided it's probably just not worth it for now. Delayed gratification, I guess. But if you get any other ideas, throw them my way! I'm hoping that a neighborhood garage space rental will show up in the classifieds one day.

Totally random, since I think you had your heart set on the View/Navion, but we will be looking at a Chevy-based Roadtrek in October. One of the reasons it has piqued my interest is that at first glance, you cannot really tell it is an RM. It just looks like one of the tarted-up "conversion vans". Might be a little easier to park without the neighbors or the local authorities getting upset about having an RV parked nearby.

- George Orwell

Old 08-21-2006, 01:20 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Totally random, since I think you had your heart set on the View/Navion, but we will be looking at a Chevy-based Roadtrek in October. One of the reasons it has piqued my interest is that at first glance, you cannot really tell it is an RM. It just looks like one of the tarted-up "conversion vans". Might be a little easier to park without the neighbors or the local authorities getting upset about having an RV parked nearby.
Here is their site.

Look like nice units (and they have a sprinter version for those who care). Heights are 8'4" to 9'5" depending on model. The sprinter is much like the Pleasure-way Plateau.

Alas, still too tall for my 83" garage but definitely a nice compact unit. What I really need is a new garage.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here is their site.

Look like nice units (and they have a sprinter version for those who care). Heights are 8'4" to 9'5" depending on model. The sprinter is much like the Pleasure-way Plateau.

Alas, still too tall for my 83" garage but definitely a nice compact unit. What I really need is a new garage.
Yeah, I saw that they were too tall for the garage. I just thought it might be feasible to park one in the driveway (or maybe even on the street).

- George Orwell

Old 08-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Not a cheap plaything by any means. I think that the best way to squeeze costs is to buy a 4 or 5 year old RV in decent shape and do your shopping in the off-season.
Years ago, when visiting my father in Florida, south of Tampa (retirement heaven?), I could not believe the number of RVs sitting in front yards with 'for sale' signs. My take, was that a spouse died or some other event happened, and the RV travel time was done. We stopped a couple of times to talk, and I spent a couple of hours calling Tel# we wrote down while passing. Some really good deals to my mind. The RVs were often low mileage, usually well taken care of, and owners were ready and willing to deal. (Trade ins/cash out values at dealers are notoriously low.) If you have the time to look, examine, and verify, buying from an owner can save a decent penny that could be better used traveling. Just like with buying used cars, I always tried to find oldsters who took care of things.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute & Fuzzy Apocalypse
Years ago, when visiting my father in Florida, south of Tampa (retirement heaven?), I could not believe the number of RVs sitting in front yards with 'for sale' signs.* My take, was that a spouse died or some other event happened, and the RV travel time was done.* We stopped a couple of times to talk, and I spent a couple of hours calling Tel# we wrote down while passing.* Some really good deals to my mind.* The RVs were often low mileage, usually well taken care of, and owners were ready and willing to deal.* (Trade ins/cash out* values at dealers are notoriously low.)* If you have the time to look, examine, and verify, buying from an owner can save a decent penny that could be better used traveling.* Just like with buying used cars, I always tried to find oldsters who took care of things.*
Yeah, I think that is likely the source of a good deal. Now finding the time to actually look...

- George Orwell

Old 08-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #74

DW: Why don't you come home so that we can go camping? I'll cook. And bring some beer too. And swim trunks--maybe .
Old 08-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

I am killing time waiting to see if my 9.6 million dollar closing failed.

Soon.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am impressed that despite all our efforts to get you to buy the View or a similar vehicle, you are able to delay gratification.* *

Old 08-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #77

Quote:
One valuable thing I learned is how little regulatory oversight *there is over the RV industry. *When you buy a car, you are pretty comfortable that it isn't going to fall apart around you. * With rvs you have to be a lot more careful. * Underbuilt and overloaded rvs are a big problem. Another thing I learned was that you want an RV that doesn't have a million little things that go wrong with it resulting in many trips to the dealer to get it fixed. * Therefore you want to be sure you research in detail any brand and model you are interested in buying.

Look for safety and reliability before cosmetic features.

Another issue is pricing. *As mentioned on this thread a couple of times, the MSRP means less in the RV industry than it does in the auto industry. It is also hard to make sure you are comparing apples and oranges when you buy. *What are the options? What is included? *Many manufacturers seem to have a relatively low suggested price, but important things you want are options that cost extra. *Also, if they separate out the options when they talk about the carrying capacity and weight of the vehicle these option items probably won't be included, leaving the impression the vehicle can carry more than it can.
Thanks for the reply. *Pretty much what I expected to extract from that book.

Underbuilt/overloaded is pretty much what I see in the class C built on the Sprinter chassis, especially those that come with a slide.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:09 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

We have been bitten by the RV bug also. *We have been looking at various models and have concluded that the C model is the best for our needs and desires. *We will have to go with a larger one to provide for a decent bed that does not require climbing or assembly. *We both have bad backs and the bed is going to be a major issue for us. *

Our short list so far:

Jayco Seneca HG-looking at a 2006 but still very expensive.

Lazy Daze Island Bed--750# CCC is a real deal breaker though. *:P

BigFoot 3000

Bornfree 32 footer

We are selling the cabin and will use part of the equity to buy one. *We are planning on renting a Class C and also a Class A for a week each to make sure we are OK with our final choice and to make sure this is what we really want to do. *

You cannot justify RVing financially. *The depreciation and costs just don't make for a good financial plan unless you go full time and sell the house and invest most of the equity. *We don't think full time would work for us but several long coast to coast and border to boarder trips that would take several weeks each does appeal to us. *

Research is key in this like anything else that has $ BIG associated with it. *We are no where near being ready to buy and we plan on taking our time. *The 2007 models are just now coming out so there may be some sales at some of the dealers soon. *

Old 08-21-2006, 02:10 PM   #79

Rich: Just to goad you on :. If you buy one and park on the edge of your driveway, it should be easy to keep tarped. Just attach some tennis balls to 10-20 foot ropes tied to your tarp. Throw the balls over the top of you brand new, shiny-- and very nice, I might add--motorhome. Pull the tarp over, and secure. Done in 2-3 minutes. Easy off too. Ready to adventure or whatever comes your way/Borrrnnn to be wild 8)--for old farts.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:21 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am impressed that despite all our efforts to get you to buy the View or a similar vehicle, you are able to delay gratification.
Well, there's always that small possibility... .

Now if my DW were closing a $9.6mm deal: new garage, new View, hit the road, Jack.

But since it's your deal, have you seen the Safari Trek 28'? I think Greg told me he bought one while you were gone. I think you'll like it.