Join Early Retirement Today

Re: LazyDays
Old 08-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Hey, Greg: I measured my driveway very carefully, and chalked off the dimensions of the View. I think it would fit .
Hmmm, that means we'll soon be able to form a sub-group called FI/RE/ME (Financial Independence/Retire Early/Motorhome Eventually). We can tour the country as a caravan, stopping to see messageboard folks. When we get to Wahoo's, we'll tell him that if he takes us all out to dinner, we'll by his dinner the next nite. Then we'll sneak away at 4AM 7AM--maybe head for Missouri. 8)

Greg

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2006, 08:02 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm

1979 - 1997 or so with first a 17 foot Go-Lite and later a 28 foot Prowler. After 1993 ER - the urge to 'get outta Dodge' faded rapidily and nesting in a fish camp over Lake Ponchartrain took hold without the 'W##k' thing hanging over our heads. Had the last few years(before selling) fully hooked up out front as a spare guest house for overflow guests.

The urge hasn't returned - yet - having been there - it could easily return someday. I do enjoy the open road.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
...we'll tell him that if he takes us all out to dinner, we'll by his dinner the next nite. Then we'll sneak away at 4AM 7AM--maybe head for Missouri. 8)
Initially I thought this was a typo and you acutally meant "buy" rather than "by". After reading the remainder of your post, I now realize you actually meant "bye".

Although your eat and run visit sounds less than ideal, I'll agree to it if you will actually show up...and promise to leave no black water stains on my driveway.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is what we have.* A 1995 31' HiLo.* Paid $8000 5 years ago.* Pull it with a 1/2 ton full size Chevy Van.* Garage has a double door in front and one in the back.* Behind garage is black top area where we back the HiLo through and into the back yard.* Safe and Secure.* Also provides guest accomodations when needed.* We love it.* Low center of gravity.* Less wind drag.* Less gas. http://www.hilotrailer.com*
Old 08-22-2006, 05:12 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Hmmm, that means we'll soon be able to form a sub-group called FI/RE/ME (Financial Independence/Retire Early/Motorhome Eventually). We can tour the country as a caravan, stopping to see messageboard folks.
Traveling in a caravan is what sounds like the most fun to me. Kind of a trip back to earlier days of a non-stop party; although the reality probably doesn't really measure up to the fantasy But, if we could get TheFed to come along with a rolling hydroponics farm, maybe
Old 08-22-2006, 08:22 AM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Although your eat and run visit sounds less than ideal, I'll agree to it if you will actually show up...and promise to leave no black water stains on my driveway.
Wahoo: Maybe instead, during our spring time visit, we'll plant seeds in your backyard. Then return in the fall for harvest time festivities.

Luckily, we haven't suffered from too much repair work on our motorhomes. One of the reasons we chose a van-chasis model was because of the ease of service on the thing. With a Ford or Chevy chasis and a common motor, just about anyone can work on it. Dealers are common. I suspect finding a Class-A repair shop, especially on the road can be more difficult. Sprinters are growing in popularity. I suspect all Dodge dealers will service them soon, if they don't now.

Consequently, if you can move, you can find a RV repair shop. We had a water pump break-down on the road. We stopped the same day, at some local-yokel's and had a replacement pump put in. (Many of the parts are standardized, so it's easy to find replacements--not always so easy to wait for a repair of a larger item on, say, a fridge.) The repair shop did a poor job, and I found it leaking the next day. Easy to crawl under the sink and tighten the fitting. So, yes, problems come up. Most are easily managed. I'm sure some aren't, especially with an older model. Just like houses. On a longer trip, we always keep a loose schedule, both for problems and for semi-spontanious adventure. The RV usually allows this, in its own fashion.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:37 AM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Traveling in a caravan is what sounds like the most fun to me.*
If I remember correctly, Airstream owners do this a lot.

Habitat for Humanity also encourages roving RV'ers at their building sites.

Hey, Martha, I saw HGTV's Debbie Travis has done a "Painted House" episode in an RV: http://painted-house.com/episodes/13/166/ ... now if they could just persuade Candice Olson to do a lighting project in one...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't mind persuading Candice to help me with a "project"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:09 AM   #109

Quote:
Traveling in a caravan is what sounds like the most fun to me....
But we have to remember, the guy with the best smelling sewer gas always leads.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:45 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Ken Kesey's Merry Pranksters, 40 years on...

Not too sure about this.

Ha
Old 08-22-2006, 10:56 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
If I remember correctly, Airstream owners do this a lot.
Yes Airstream owners do tend to travel together. Dh and I were caught behind a convoy in the Pocono Mountains coming back from one of our trips to Strugis, finally passed the leader and had to stop for gas, sat there and watched them all go by again.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Ken Kesey's Merry Pranksters, 40 years on...
Ha: Good read. It's actually surprising all the life going on outside and near the Interstate. Our town, a number of years ago, hosted an Airstream Jamboree with hundreds of visitors. They held square dances and such and workshops for about a week--a little like Sturgis, but calmer. But probably just as much alcohol. My brother and I caravaned to SD last summer. Had a good time together, and when his kids got on my nerves (one hit me on the forehead with a rock), we could separate for a few hours. We've see all sorts of groupings: Specialty clubs that get together for a couple of weeks of travel; folks who just meet at a particular site every summer, etc.

But the Merry Pranksters trips . . . probably required something to take the edge off or put it on.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:17 AM   #113
Moderator Emeritus

This topic has been a real eye-opener. We'll be RV shopping one more time this weekend (RV World in Venice), but after thinking it through and reading others' experiences, it looks like the cost, storage issues, and marginal hassle:usage ratio while I'm still full-time don't quite make the cut. Still on the fence a bit, though.

DW: reluctant but intrigued - took her to LazyDays last weekend and she started saying things like, "You know, we could take this to things like Bluesfest or Epcot and leave Sophie in here with the AC on so we wouldn't need to kennel her," and "Sure would be nice if we ever had to evacuate for a few days." But then, "We really can't afford this now," or "I could see doing it after you retire."

Here's what I see as possibilities:

1. Wait til my wife's car needs replacing, then get a Class B. I'd use that for my commute and she would take my current car as her work car. Actually, a Class B would make a great realtor's car when she is taking out families. Leisure Vans, RoadTrek, and Great West make some nice ones based on the diesel Sprinter.

2. Stumble on a private, just-to-church-on-Sunday RV in distress-sale price range. It happens.

3. Wait. When I semi-FIRE (time availability goes up) or we downsize (cost becomes easier), take the plunge.

4. Irrational, impulsive, screw-the-neighbors, self-indulgent, irresponsible purchase of a new Class C (Winnebago View still tops on the list). Wouldn't be the first such decision , but this is a big ticket item.

The above, obvious over-analysis is typical behavior for me when I am about to exercise option 4.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:15 AM   #114

Good luck Rich with your decision but I like option #2. With gas prices where they are the chances of a great price on an RV are greatly increased.

Just wait, it'll happen.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:48 AM   #115

Or Soon Poorer Rich:

If you can delay gratification :, it's probably a good idea. I suspect if this housing market continues down (and/or the conspicuous consumers need to keep paying their mortgages), more people will be selling their motorhome/toys. Many of them have loans. Plus, the novelty of Sprinter MHs may wear off somewhat. When introduced they all were priced at MSRP. A used one, in the front yard of a panicked seller, may show up. Good Luck.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:55 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute & Fuzzy Apocalypse
Or Soon Poorer* Rich:

If you can delay gratification* :, it's probably a good idea.* I suspect if this housing market continues down (and/or the conspicuous consumers need to keep paying their mortgages), more people will be selling* their motorhome/toys.* Many of them have loans.* Plus, the novelty of Sprinter MHs may wear off somewhat.* When introduced they all were priced at MSRP.* *A used one, in the front yard of a panicked seller, may show up.* *Good Luck.
Wow... that looks like a nice weekend vehicle that can be parked in the drive!! How much does one go for?? I have not found anything yet on the web... but then again.. I am doing 'w#$%'...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:38 PM   #117
gone traveling

Further
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:42 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob
Further
You forgot the picture:
Attached Images
File Type: gif further.gif (25.8 KB, 56 views)
Attached Files
File Type: gif_thumb further.gif_thumb (22.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-24-2006, 08:17 AM   #119
gone traveling

Quote:
You forgot the picture:
Nope, I saw it perfectly.......didn't the vibe reach? Maybe need to tweek it.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #120
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am staggering across this topic a few months late, but I own an Itasca Navion and have used it extensively over the past year. It has developed a cult-like following matched only by the Airstream and LazyDaze clans. If you are still considering a purchase, I can certainly answer questions, or direct you toward the best internet resources.

For what it's worth, I purchased mine at LazyDays for $65K. They are backordered now, but I still hear of folks getting them for only a couple of thousand more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
I know there are lots of RVers here. Whaddya think? I'm especially drawn to the Winnebago on top of the Dodge truck with the diesel engine (19-20 mpg). A good move 3 years before retirement, or would you wait til time was more your own? Tips?
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote