Join Early Retirement Today

LBYM CEO style
Old 08-20-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

LBYM CEO style

Here is an interesting article about LBYM CEO style:

What kind of car does the boss drive?

PR NEWSWIRE

CHICAGO — Do you know what kind of car your boss drives and how much it cost? Is your car type or color on par with others in your profession? According to a survey commissioned by CareerBuilder.com and Cars.com, perceptions are very different from reality.

Not surprisingly, a majority (59 percent) of survey respondents think a typical CEO drives a luxury vehicle. The car most commonly associated with a company’s CEO is a black Mercedes- Benz. The CEO sample includes those with CEO, chairman, executive director, president or COO titles.

The truth is more CEOs surveyed drive ordinary passenger cars and SUVs than luxury cars; in fact, those who drive Chevrolets outnumber those in Mercedes. And while most respondents think CEOs spend more than $70,000 on their cars, the average price CEOs in this study paid for their primary vehicle is less than $25,000. One in- four (26 percent) of CEOs surveyed reported they spent less than $20,000 on their primary vehicle.

The following is a breakdown of the types of vehicles CEOs in the survey report they own:

● 29 percent — passenger cars
● 24 percent — SUVs
● 19 percent — luxury cars
● 13 percent — pickup trucks
● 9 percent — minivans
● 6 percent — sports cars

“When it comes to the perception of what CEOs drive, the respondents surveyed who believe a black Mercedes-Benz is the car of choice for CEOs aren’t the only ones,” said Patrick Olsen, managing editor of Cars.com.

“A similar majority of CEOs who responded to the survey thought their peers were mostly driving expensive luxury cars as well.”

Looking at specific industries, the survey found that respondents working in banking and finance are more likely than workers in any other career segment to drive luxury and sports cars, followed by engineers.

If you want to read the rest, go to http://www.print2webcorp.com/news/wa...060818/p02.asp and click on the body of the article.
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: LBYM CEO style
Old 08-20-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Huh? I would think most CEOs get a free leased car from the company.
dmpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
Huh? I would think most CEOs get a free leased car from the company.
And probably wouldn't show up as their car, being registered to the company. Another interesting survey would be what type of car their wife had, or the type of car they bought the day after they receive the "severance" from the company. I got a CEO living down the street who has a SUV . . . I've never seen him drive it, he has a chauffeur with a Lincoln Town Car pick up and deliver him.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If i had a really high powered salary (say 500K+ not in NYC), I certainly would drive a nice car.*

I definitely do not envy hoarders.* *I actually pity them.* * Like so many things in life, i think money management should be done with a sense of balance.* * If one's clearing more than 500k/year, and doesnt live in New York, then geez, at least get a 3 series BMW, but take care of it and keep it several years.*

So what's the take-home?* Your typical CEO is a money hoarder?

I'm thinking of YMOYL. Probably the most sensible people are the AAW's, and the ones out of wack are the UAW's and the PAW's.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #5

Oh how my life would be so much better if only I had a BMW 3-series...

The birds would sing, the neighbors would be green with envy, and I would live the good life...

If only I had that 3-series, then life would be good...

- Not

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
So what's the take-home? Your typical CEO is a money hoarder?
No it's all about politics. - Most want to seem like a regular joe, while they're skimming profits off the company. Both to the shareholders and employees.

The extravagant spending starts when they 'retire'. :
Old 08-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Oh how my life would be so much better if only I had a BMW 3-series...

- Not
What idiot would be CEO of a large company and take on all of the associates stresses of it, but have no desire for nice things? *You?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
The extravagant spending starts when they 'retire'.
As long as there's a sensible man in there somewhere.* Because money exhibits no value until its given away.

Before anyone considers pressing the issue, please realize if we actually have any CEO's that only enjoy making money but have no intention of using it, then i'm going to list my account number so i can relieve you of your burden of this "money" that "doesn't improve your life".
Old 08-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #9

Az:

CEO's take on that position because they seek power. Not because they want to drive the small model in an overpriced car line.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:59 AM   #10

If they're so after power, then why are they just satisfied with the power they get to exhibit in the workplace.* * I'd take that expression of power even beyond the office; meaning use my money for power too.

Anyone that lives in my neighborhood, AFAIK, is an above-average middle class average joe.* I dont care what he makes.* *If i cant see it, then you dont have it.

"But... but..... i have 4 million in the bank". I think. "whatever you say, chief"... whether he does or not. Because what difference does money make if you just see it in ink on a piece of paper once a month.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:10 AM   #11

Keep working Azanon cause you just don't get it...
Old 08-22-2006, 10:12 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyone that lives in my neighborhood, AFAIK, is an above-average middle class average joe.* I dont care what he makes.* *If i cant see it, then you dont have it.

"But... but..... i have 4 million in the bank".* * I think.* * "whatever you say, chief"... whether he does or not.* * Because what difference does money make if you just see it in ink on a piece of paper once a month.
Just curious: why do you give a flying fcuk how much money your neighbors have? You compare penis sizes, too?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

On my second CEO position in 1997, I bought a '95 BMW 318ic convertible. Retired in 2002. Still driving it.

Would I like something newer. Yes. Can I justify it based on miles driven now. NO!

If I change anything, it might be to trade down to a collector car (>15 years old) for the appreciation potential and cheaper insurance.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Keep working Azanon cause you just don't get it...
This statement implies I dont like my job. * You should know that you are mistaken. * I like power too, .... like these CEO's..... i just also use the power of my money too.

There is no question that i'm a powerful person. * *You sitting at home getting your bank statements in.... you're a non-factor. * Out of the game. * I'm glad you made way for powerful people like me.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:14 AM   #15

Quote:
what difference does money make if you just see it in ink on a piece of paper once a month.
Simple answer - your life (and more importantly, your time) is "your own". *You choose to do, what you want to do, when you want to do it.

Financial Independence = Freedom...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Just curious: why do you give a flying fcuk how much money your neighbors have? You compare penis sizes, too?
You're confusing caring with recognition. Just because i may recognize you're not important, doesnt mean i care one way or the other.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Simple answer - your life (and more importantly, your time) is "your own".* You choose to do, what you want to do, when you want to do it.

Financial Independence = Freedom...

- Ron
Hey, i'm all for that Ron, which is why i hang out here.* But i'll keep saying, Balance, Balance, Balance.* *Living your 20's and 30s in a shack saving 60% of gross, is NOT a solution to happiness.* That's just downright ridiculous IMO.* * Far more logical, to live your youthful years enjoying SOME of the finer things in life, while at the same time saving a more than modest amount (lets say 15-25% of gross), and letting the power of compounding work for you.* *

I just think the best answer for most people is probably somewhere in the middle.* *Its what i would recommend to my son.

I save about 20% gross strictly for retirement (all tax advantaged, (TSP, IRAs)), to speak nothing of other savings. If you ask me, that is a HECK of a lot, and at times i sometimes think that's overkill.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:24 AM   #18

Quote:
There is no question that i'm a powerful person. You sitting at home getting your bank statements in.... you're a non-factor. Out of the game. I'm glad you made way for powerful people like me.

Ooookkkkkkkkkk.

eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #19

You too could be powerful, get the girls, and have the respect and admiration of the world.

And all it takes is to make payments on that 3-series BMW...
Old 08-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Ooookkaaayyyyy.
This is a messageboard, so i'm intentionally far more outspoken and less modest. * If the alternative is to think "i'm insignificant, not important, etc", i chose to think positively of myself. *I dont see how i can expect to get anywhere in life not believing in myself.