Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Yes, the free turkey dinner is open to all, but how much of a cheap mooch do you have to be when you have tons of money and the meal is really for the poor, homeless and downtrodden? And there has been more than one on this board that would brag about going to something like that.
I cut my own bangs, always colored my own hair, wash out the Ziploc baggies, love junking for thrift stuff, search out good deals always when I purchase something on the bigger side and all the other cost cutting ways many here use. I live well, but am cheap as the next guy. BUT expect others to pay my way or go to a meal given free to the homeless...puh-leeeease, no way!
My protest is those who do live in a subnormal standard for Americans, and seem to think that this makes them superior to the rest of us. It doesn't. But they are Oh! so proud of the fact that they deprive themselves as if it is a badge of their superiority over the rest of their fellow Americans. Their incessant bragging about how much they can live without...whoop-tee doo!
I don't have a clothes dryer.

Quote:
You know who is thrilled you are doing without and living a minimal existence normally? Well, look behind you and you will see your heirs jumping up and down with joy for this. So, while you do without... I think you are getting the picture?
And, ladelfina, if you are personally offended by the use of the word subnormal, well...guess you are just offended.
I'm leaving everything to charity.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It's just long term vs short term thinking, or maybe L_A(bove)_YM people are *hoping* that their income will be much higher in the future, or they will win the lottery, so they 'mortgage' the future for present enjoyment. I'm not going to count on that, I'll adjust spending as it becomes available, not before.
There is the disease of affluenza (Affluenza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) -- the idea that spending money on non-essential items brings happiness even if you can afford these items without having to go into debt. I used to be this way until I acquired financial literacy and figured out that by saving and investing my money, someday I would have more money than I would know what to do with.

On the other hand, some people have to borrow money to pay for essentials (e.g., heat their homes, One-in-Five-Expect-to-Borrow-to-Heat-Homes-This-Winter: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance). They are living beyond their present means and don't have much choice in the matter (at least in the short term), and their situation is not sustainable over the long term. But they are trying to cope the best they can for now.

I believe in the idea of buying only what I need right now and investing the rest of my income for FIRE and delayed gratification. Luckily, my income has been much higher than my present needs so that I have had plenty to invest. But there have been times in the past when the opposite was true and I had to go into debt (or tap into my savings and investments) for awhile to make ends meet.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:22 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wasn't offended.. but you should get used to "frugal" being the new 'fashion' around town.. just like being 'green' has been..

It's going to be all the rage!
Consumers cut back on small pleasures - USATODAY.com
Quote:
Trends guru Faith Popcorn puts it this way: "It's cooler not to spend."
Old 04-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
I wasn't offended.. but you should get used to "frugal" being the new 'fashion' around town.. just like being 'green' has been..

It's going to be all the rage!
Consumers cut back on small pleasures - USATODAY.com
Sorry, I can't resist: This looks like a buying opportunity to me. Um, more available seats at the coffee shop and imagine the pre-Christmas sales.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Balance in key with anything in life. I for one, will not splurge on clothes....I do dress with the finest, most expensive clothes that "look" "ALMOST" "new".....bought at the Goodwill, or other thrift shop. Now, on the other hand, I have no problem going to one of the most expensive restraurants in town and blowing a couple of hundred dollars on a dinner for two. My mother on the other hand, would never ever everrrrrrr go and spend money at a restaurant despite having a portfolio in the range of 5 million.....some people "just can't do it".
Old 04-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanita8140 View Post
Balance in key with anything in life. I for one, will not splurge on clothes....I do dress with the finest, most expensive clothes that "look" "ALMOST" "new".....bought at the Goodwill, or other thrift shop. Now, on the other hand, I have no problem going to one of the most expensive restraurants in town and blowing a couple of hundred dollars on a dinner for two. My mother on the other hand, would never ever everrrrrrr go and spend money at a restaurant despite having a portfolio in the range of 5 million.....some people "just can't do it".
If you are a foodie. Then someday try and get to Victoria and Alberts at Walt Disney World. Place has amazing food and service.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanita8140 View Post
To go to a restaurant, I would have to comb my hair and put on shoes and dress up and wonder if people would stare at me for dining alone and worry about every move I make...
Old 04-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #68

Khan, I've eaten out alone at nice restaurants plenty and, frankly, nobody really gives a crap about anything else but what is going on at their own table. Bring a book, bury your head in it till the food comes will get your over the hump in the beginning.
Enjoy yourself by yourself if you have nobody else to dine with I say. Heck, if I waited until I had a friend or partner to do things with...well, I still would not have done much of anything. So learn to do all by yourself if you have to.
And this post was not about having an older car that runs well or if you do or do not have a clothes dryer. It's about doing without to such a degree--when you have a great deal of money--that you "think" you are superior for your self-sacrifice. You aren't special. You just love money TOO much where it's become a sickness.

Money is not the root of all evil. It's the LOVE of money that is.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
masochistic self-deprivation.
Gosh, this is one of my favorites! Hardly anything beats watching folks participate in masochistic self-deprivation! If they ever catch on to how much fun it is to watch, they're going to start charging admission.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersteciak View Post
I have no idea what I'm missing, although I understand from what's on TV that I'm not missing very much. But based on all the saved money I'm able to invest, I'll probably be able to afford all of these goodies someday without any strain on my budget.
Those items will be exactly the waste in the future as they are now, no more, no less. You don't have them now, you don't need to have them in the future.

A gratification delayed is a gratification easily done without for eternity.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
A gratification delayed is a gratification easily done without for eternity.
God, don't say that. At least please tell me it does not apply to dry spells.

Ha
Old 04-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #72
Administrator

I don't go out to restaurants by myself either. It is just boring without someone there to talk to, and a book seem almost like an attempt to camoflauge - - because for me it is difficult to get really absorbed in a book sitting in a restaurant.

Luckily, Frank takes me out to eat several times a week. If I went out to eat any more than that, I would probably gain too much weight. Before I met him, if I just HAD to eat out I would get take out, and eat it at home.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Interesting article. I gagged when I read this:

Quote:
Between Sara Winters and her husband, David, of Columbus, Ohio, they bought lunch out about eight times a week, often at McDonald's. She usually got a fish sandwich and a small soft drink. He typically got two fish sandwiches and a large soft drink. It added up to more than $170 a month.

When the school year began, Winters started packing lunches for herself and her husband, as well as her 15-year-old son.

"We're not panicking. We're more aware of what we spend our money on," she says. "We miss McDonald's fries, but you have to think about your future."
The financial savings should be the least of her reasons for cutting back. Hasn't she seen or heard of Super Size Me?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Gosh, this is one of my favorites! Hardly anything beats watching folks participate in masochistic self-deprivation! If they ever catch on to how much fun it is to watch, they're going to start charging admission.
I was WONDERING if anybody would ever pick up on that post, clear back on page 2! Flog me with a wet noodle, but don't make me engage in masochistic self-deprivation!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #75

Now me, I have no problem reading anywhere. I'd probably just tune it all out around me and read. Different strokes.
But, haha...what are YOU talking about (hee hee hee)? A dry spell over what? (OK, I am putting you on here)
Old 04-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I don't go out to restaurants by myself either. It is just boring without someone there to talk to, and a book seem almost like an attempt to camoflauge - - because for me it is difficult to get really absorbed in a book sitting in a restaurant.......................
I can relate to this. When I used to travel for business, I frequently found myself dining alone. I used to get take out and sneak it up to my room rather than sit alone. It is just awkward and boring.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Khan, I've eaten out alone at nice restaurants plenty and, frankly, nobody really gives a crap about anything else but what is going on at their own table. Bring a book, bury your head in it till the food comes will get your over the hump in the beginning.
Enjoy yourself by yourself if you have nobody else to dine with I say. Heck, if I waited until I had a friend or partner to do things with...well, I still would not have done much of anything. So learn to do all by yourself if you have to.
And this post was not about having an older car that runs well or if you do or do not have a clothes dryer. It's about doing without to such a degree--when you have a great deal of money--that you "think" you are superior for your self-sacrifice. You aren't special. You just love money TOO much where it's become a sickness.

Money is not the root of all evil. It's the LOVE of money that is.
Orchid, I do believe that to a certain extent in some people this constitutes an illness. I'm sure that for some,having great wealth makes them feel superior. I can only speak for myself and those around me who have wealth. I grew up with tightwad parents and alot of it rubbed off on me, but I have through the years learned to modify and find my own path on handling money. As to my mother's "ways", money to her is not to gain/feel better than others....she gets a sense of security from having/taking care of her money....I'm no psychologists, but I believe that having grown up in a family of 8 kids and poor made her this way. Now she won't splurge on alot of things for sure, but on things that she loves....flowers, books, hosting a home made dinner for family and friends, she doesn't hold back. Many times, I have suggested to my mother to take a trip around the world, and she comes back with..."why?, I can see the world in pictures and read about it in books"...it's fruitless to try to change the minds of others.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

If you feel uncomfortable eating out by yourself try it for lunch it is a litle easier . After my husband died I decided I could do these things by myself or do without them . So I started doing them by baby steps . I realized I was not uncomfortable eating out by myself when I was travelling so I'd go to a local restaurant and pretend I was on vacation . I also go to movies by myself . There is nothing like a sappy chick flick by yourself . No need to apologise for picking a sappy movie just bring your tissues and enjoy and afterwards stop for a glass of wine .
Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #79
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
If you feel uncomfortable eating out by yourself try it for lunch it is a litle easier . After my husband died I decided I could do these things by myself or do without them . So I started doing them by baby steps . I realized I was not uncomfortable eating out by myself when I was travelling so I'd go to a local restaurant and pretend I was on vacation . I also go to movies by myself . There is nothing like a sappy chick flick by yourself . No need to apologise for picking a sappy movie just bring your tissues and enjoy and afterwards stop for a glass of wine .
Interesting that you think adults might not have ever experienced eating lunch out alone before! Different paths in life, I guess. Did you marry young?

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I simply do not see any reason (for myself) to go to a restaurant or to a movie.