Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #101
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
I never feel comfortable in restaurants. I don't like being served (serviced, on the other hand...), so I guess that rules out going to most restaurants. Chinese buffetts rock though.
I don't mind being served, as long as the service is good. Be careful of those Chinese buffets, though - - a bad one can cause food poisoning.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

In our area, Chinese buffet restaurants have the lowest health insurance scores - by far. I'm a big fan of Chinese food but I do not dine at these establishments.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #103
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It did take a while for me to get my head wrapped around the concept since growing up we almost never went to restaurants. Normally we didn't have the money, so it seemed a waste to me. I'll admit I only do it because it makes her smile, if I was by myself I wouldn't bother.

But you don't go for the food. You go for the experience and not having to lift a finger.
I go for the food! Everything else is secondary to me. There is nothing like a good seafood gumbo, shrimp creole, tomato basil chicken, or classic sherry turtle soup prepared by a top notch chef. We eat out on the weekends and I spend all week eating "virtuous" food so that I can do it again the next weekend.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I started with lunch at high end restaurants and worked into dinner . I was married at 24 and you ?
FWIW, I married at 23 and we'd dated from the time I was just shy of 18. So, I don't and haven't eaten by myself much at all. When I took a trip to NZ in 2002 to see some friends living there and do some sightseeing and DH couldn't get the time off to go, it took some dogged determination not to feel like an old maid when I ate. I was distinctly uncomfortable traveling alone, I'll confess. It was still a great trip, but it made me realize how much more I enjoy traveling with DH. I understand your viewpoint completely--and I think that widowhood would be a devastating blow for me.
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:43 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I understand your viewpoint completely--and I think that widowhood would be a devastating blow for me.
Sarah
Thank you , It was devastating but you have to go on and enjoy your life .
Old 04-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
But you don't go for the food. You go for the experience and not having to lift a finger.
See generally Paul Fussell, Class: A Guide Through the American Status System (1983), pp. 104-107.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #107

LADIES: We are far outnumbered on this board compared to the men. Puh-lease, let us stick together and not fight amongst ourselves. We gotta make these men see some solidarity among the gals here, so when the men argue among themselves we have a reason to snicker and mumble things like "brutes!" and "uncivilized!"
And you both are wonderful in different ways!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

saw this this morning: simply stated: life & soul | Blogs |By RealSimple.com

"1st. Live as well as you dare". Seems as good an answer as we're likely to get to the LYBM question.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #109

"Real Simple" makes my teeth grate! The correct phrase is really simple.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

[quote=Orchidflower;645441]LADIES: We are far outnumbered on this board compared to the men. Puh-lease, let us stick together and not fight amongst ourselves. /quote]

That was not fighting . I was just making a statement about a uncalled for comment . Sorry Orchid Flower but the New Jersey in me could not let that pass .
Old 04-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
LADIES: We are far outnumbered on this board compared to the men. Puh-lease, let us stick together and not fight amongst ourselves. We gotta make these men see some solidarity among the gals here, so when the men argue among themselves we have a reason to snicker and mumble things like "brutes!" and "uncivilized!"
But enough about that. We menfolk just want to know: what's for dinner?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
But enough about that. We menfolk just want to know: what's for dinner?

We're going to mexacali border cafe with a few friends so the kitchen is closed tonight but will reopen tomorrow with stir fry beef and brocolli .
Old 04-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #113

Ziggy29: Dinner is whatever YOUR buying tonight...dear. And we ladies will allow you to take us to any nice restaurant of your choosing...for a change. (Like that one?)

Moemg: The Chicago comes out in me and I realllly try to curb it, but often am fighting a losing battle on that one...ha! Somebody challenges me--when I am sure I'm right only--and I charge like the Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull. I really work on that quality all the time, tho...sigh. We is what we is, I guess. (But I did really well selling to the masses...cough)
Old 04-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Ziggy29: Dinner is whatever YOUR buying tonight...dear. And we ladies will allow you to take us to any nice restaurant of your choosing...for a change. (Like that one?)
If I get lost trying to take you there, do I have to stop and ask for directions?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #115

Ziggy29: HA! This is a trick question 'cause you never ask for directions. Can't fool me with that one.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
See generally Paul Fussell, Class: A Guide Through the American Status System (1983), pp. 104-107.
Yo, Milton, Fussell is one of fave writers ever. Ive said this before here, Im mentally stuck in the 80. His Class is a great book. Still have my copy, wonder how it would look as part of a parody display on my now-old (non-flat) TV.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #117

Yes, Fussell is very good. And his "parody display" is a great excuse for questionable decors!

The Kink's classic song Low Budget goes back almost 30 years, but nevertheless gets my vote for the theme-song of 2008:

Quote:
Cheap is small, and not too steep
But best of all, cheap is cheap
Circumstance has forced my hand
To be a cut price person in a low budget land
Times are hard, but we'll all survive
I just got to learn to economize

Excuse my shoes, they don’t quite fit
They’re a special offer, and they hurt me a bit
Even my trousers are giving me pain
They were reduced in a sale, so I shouldn't complain
They squeeze me so tight, so I can’t take no more
They're size 28, but I take 34

I’m shopping at Woolworth and low discount stores
I’m dropping my standards so that I can buy more
Quality costs, but quality wastes,
So I’m giving up all of my expensive tastes.
Caviar and champagne are definite nos,
I’m acquiring a taste for brown ale and cod roes

Low budget, sure keeps me on my toes
I count every penny, and I watch where it goes
We’re all on our uppers, we’re all going skint
I used to smoke cigars but now I suck polo mints

Art takes time, time is money
Money’s scarce and that ain’t funny
Millionaires are things of the past
We’re in a low budget film where nothing can last
Money’s rare, there’s none to be found
So don’t think I’m tight if I don’t buy a round

I look like a tramp, but don’t write me off,
I’ll have you all know, I was once a tough
At least my hair is all mine, my teeth are my own,
But everything else is on permanent loan.
Once all my clothes were made by hand
Now I’m a cut price person in a low budget land
Old 04-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
As long as your spending is in line with your values and you are still saving enough for retirement, go for it. I'm going to pay to get my car detailed, I'm not going to wash out and reuse sandwich bags, ...
One way I handle the "living waaaaaaaaaay below your means" issue is to have a line item in my budget called contingencies. If my car needs a new battery, its cost comes out of contingencies. If I haven't spent any contingencies money recently and I see "something silly" I want to buy, I just buy it and don't agonize over the decision (but I don't make these impulse purchasing decisions very often).

Most of my non-essential purchases involve books. If I can spend $25 for a good book on investing and personal finance and the ideas in that book can make or save me thousands of dollars, I consider the purchase to have a great ROI. And besides, I enjoy reading and being exposed to new ideas and concepts even if they don't end up having an ROI.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
"Real Simple" makes my teeth grate! The correct phrase is really simple.

Super simple?

Super simple me: the opposite of "super size me"?

Is that the magazine filled with ads for stuff from The Container Store to make your life more organized? Useless, IMO.

Here's another one: I cringe at IMHO. I know it's an attempt to be very polite but how can an opinion be humble?
Old 04-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post

Here's another one: I cringe at IMHO. I know it's an attempt to be very polite but how can an opinion be humble?
This sort of obfuscation falls under the heading of obsequiousness.

It is necessary for internet boards.

Kind of like, IMHO, F-U!

Ha