Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #81
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Interesting that you think adults might not have ever experienced eating lunch out alone before! Different paths in life, I guess. Did you marry young?

I started with lunch at high end restaurants and worked into dinner . I was married at 24 and you ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I started with lunch at high end restaurants and worked into dinner . I was married at 24 and you ?
I've spent my entire life either single or married to a seagoing man. And then, I eat out alone more than I'd like when traveling for work.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:07 PM   #83
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I simply don't see the point of going to a restaurant.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You are probably a better cook than I am! I like the food at restaurants, once in a while, though I don't like having to eat it there. Restaurant food is pretty fattening, but soo good, especially here in New Orleans.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And at what age did you marry that sea going man ?
Oh! I forgot to specify. Sorry!! We married when I was 27, and had been living on my own for 9 years prior to that. My ex spent more time at sea than on shore, though, for 2-9 months at a time. He preferred home cooking when he was home, so I have eaten lunch out alone often. Different life experience, I suppose. Actually, Frank is the first regular restaurant companion that I have ever had.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never really saw the point of cooking. But then I lived thirty years in New Orleans.

Live to eat vs eat to live.

Unfortunately up north is not New Orleans so I eat at home more than I'd like to.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
I never really saw the point of cooking. But then I lived thirty years in New Orleans.

Live to eat vs eat to live.

Unfortunately up north is not New Orleans so I eat at home more than I'd like to.

heh heh heh -
It's probably pretty different up there! None of the great little hole-in-the-walls that we have down here. I will probably cook at home a lot more when I move to Missouri, too.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
My wife and I enjoy excellent cuisine. We are great cooks but Ive been to some places that I could never come close to without years of experience and schooling.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I see more posts all the time where someone jumps in and insinuates that if you dress decently--and I don't mean designer clothing, but just nicely--or you take flying lessons or whatever that you are GASP! not LBYM.
I just think you can carry this LBYM attitude way too far in this life.
Just my thoughts...and I'm stickin' to them.
Orchidflower I tend to agree with you.
Observations;
Balance is a good goal in life
Everyone has different priorities
Some people just like to vent, complain, b*tch... it's theraputic (maybe) ... and it makes them feel better
Life seems to go better when you have a bit of a thicker skin
This forum should be used for educational and amusement purposes... if it raises your blood pressure, you need to re-assess participation.
... just my 2 cents
Old 04-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What do you consider a high-end restaurant? I've never ordered anything at a restaurant that was over $20/plate. Most of the time if I eat-out I spend less than $20 for the meal drink and tip combined and that's at a nicer restaurant otherwise it's less than $10.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is there an echo in here?

So don't go to a restaurant.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:49 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
God, don't say that. At least please tell me it does not apply to dry spells.

Ha
Ooooops! Forget add the winky face thingy after that Ha. And please, don't call me "God."
Old 04-18-2008, 12:28 AM   #93

Quote:
It did take a while for me to get my head wrapped around the concept since growing up we almost never went to restaurants. Normally we didn't have the money, so it seemed a waste to me. I'll admit I only do it because it makes her smile, if I was by myself I wouldn't bother.

But you don't go for the food. You go for the experience and not having to lift a finger. Try this one: Bavarian Inn Shepherstown WV

I highly recommend the Chateaubriand for two.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:16 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

As long as one's frugality/cheapness doesn't harm or endanger anyone then "fill yer boots". I know a fellow who drives his young family around in a 28 year old little car with 18 gazillion miles on it and only lap belts for his kids and of course no air bags for him and his wife. He is an airline pilot and can definitely afford something safer and still live well below his means but is somehow obsessed with and very proud of keeping his P.O.S. on the road.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:10 AM   #95

Megacorp-firee: If you don't think I have a thick hide--after over 30 years of outside sales and sales management--I am totally flattered! Thanks! If I can fool you, then I can fool some poor pitiful guy out there that I'm a delicate flower after all. Great! He, he, he.... And, God, how I hope that WAS what you were insinuating. Don't tell me if it wasn't, in fact.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:01 AM   #96
Full time employment: Posting here.

I never feel comfortable in restaurants. I don't like being served (serviced, on the other hand...), so I guess that rules out going to most restaurants. Chinese buffetts rock though.
RetiredGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:47 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

LBYM does not have to mean LAFAPBYM (Living As Far As Possible Below Your Means). By definition if you're saving money each month without going into debt, you are living below your means.

I think what people need to do is figure out how far below their means they need to live in order to save/invest what they need to likely reach their longer term goals. If that leaves you with some "blow" to enjoy life today, so be it. Some people wear excessive LBYM as a badge of honor or pride, as if they are "better" than you because they are practicing more self-deprivation, and that people are being stupid or reckless if they ever indulge in a frivolity that isn't an absolutely required rock-bottom expense. Ignore that "thriftier than thou" attitude and concentrate on what works for *you*.

We're currently saving about 25% of our income, and we could easily make it to 35-40% -- and possibly even more -- if we really wanted to. But we think where we are now is an appropriate balance between saving for where we want to be in a couple decades from now *and* enjoying some of the fruits of our labors while we know we are here to enjoy it. Extreme LBYMing can be a heavy bet on a future we have no guarantee of seeing. But if one does truly derive enjoyment in life from LAFAPBYM, so be it. It just doesn't mean someone else is a "failure" at managing personal finance if they don't want to take it that far.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #98
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Interesting that you think adults might not have ever experienced eating lunch out alone before! Different paths in life, I guess. Did you marry young?

I deleted my first response but after sleeping on it I decided to again say I thought these remarks were condescending and bordering on rude . You seem to be infering that I lack in life experiences which is really not accurate . I've spent many years on my own including seven as a single Mom . I also never made more than $60,000 but have accumulated a multi million dollar portfolio .I may not have a Phd and know all the financial ins and outs but I've done well for myself and have had plenty of life experiences . I was just trying to show Khan how to approach dining out slowly . I guess I should have been more careful with my wording .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #99
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't forget that the first word in LBYM is Living. As far as I'm concerned, I've only got one chance at it. If living without something would make my life significantly worse, I don't live without it.

The trick is knowing what monetary expenditures actually make you happy. Growing up, I had a large amount of control over my own finances. When I was ten, I bought myself a black and white 13" TV for my bedroom. I used it through the end of college -- good purchase. I also bought myself a $100 telescope. I barely used the thing -- bad purchase.

I still filter my discretionary spending through my "amount of time worked" mental filter. Martial arts, 2.5 hours per month. Ordering Chinese food with the wife, half an hour. Netflix, half an hour per month. Used paperback book, 5-7 minutes. Lawn mowing service, two hours per month.

As long as your spending is in line with your values and you are still saving enough for retirement, go for it. I'm going to pay to get my car detailed, I'm not going to wash out and reuse sandwich bags, I'm not going to pick glass out of a broken jar of peanut butter.

Where most people seem to get in trouble is not really recognizing what it is that will really add satisfaction to their lives, or not realizing the real cost of purchases in regards to the amount of time spent working for someone else. As long as you are getting personal value for your money, go for it.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I deleted my first response
I deleted the apology that I posted in response to your deleted post, because it quoted that deleted post and I thought since you deleted it you probably would want me to do that. Again, my apologies if you construed my comments as a slight, since they were never meant as such but simply as a query about a viewpoint that I found different and interesting, and still somewhat mystifying to me.

Quote:
I also never made more than $60,000 but have accumulated a multi million dollar portfolio.
That is really wonderful, and certainly an admirable accomplishment, especially as a single mom! You have every right to be very proud of what you have done with your life.