Join Early Retirement Today

Re: LCD HDTV's - Vertical viewing angle
Old 11-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

i believe the lg division that makes consumer electronics is the ole goldstar company.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Be honest here. Doesn't a regular tube TV have the best picture? The DLPs, LCDs, and plasmas may take up less space but are they really as good or better than the old cathode ray tube?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:03 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Be honest here. Doesn't a regular tube TV have the best picture? The DLPs, LCDs, and plasmas may take up less space but are they really as good or better than the old cathode ray tube?
I'm no expert on picture quality. But I can say that a 42 inch CRT would be a whopper. Sure couldn't hang it on a wall. But don't begrudge us our toys Martha - we are boys 8)
Old 11-20-2006, 03:14 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

If the CRT's scan rate and lines of resolution are equal to the competition, then they're as good or better. Otherwise, no.

And, for reference, my 50" dlp weighs around 60lbs; a 50" CRT would weigh more like 600...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:28 PM   #25

Quote:
I think a lot of people would agree with you on this Martha. The problem is that for a 32 inch screen the CRT set will weigh close to 200 lbs! - I have a 40 inch LCD flat Panel that weighs about 45 lbs.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:37 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Doesn't a regular tube TV have the best picture?
Correct. But the limiting factor is size. I think the largest one is around 40in.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
my own observations are plasmas still have far better richness of color than either lcd or dlp. lcd never seems as bright to me as dlp in a bright room and dlp tends to blur fast action somewhat. plasma dosnt have such great blacks, my dlp has it beat there
I agree that plasmas have more 'richness' of color, but to me they don't look natural. I want a TV that looks like you are looking out a window. Also the thing that really bugs me about plasmas is the Shiny reflective screen that all of them have. Most of the time I can see everything reflected in the room in them. Unless of course you have all the lights off (And I think that is how a lot of 'critics' evaluate them). Add to that the Heat, Burn in Issues, and fan noise and I'll pay a little more for a Quality Flat Panel LCD. I really wanted to like the plasmas because they were cheaper!
Old 11-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

wow martha im proud of you, you know boy stuff.

yes a crt has the best compiliation of qualities but size is limited.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:27 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Best site on the web for researching this stuff:

http://www.avsforum.com/

Bought a 42" Panny plasma last year based on the info from many users and professionals there...very happy with my choice.