Join Early Retirement Today

Leaf shredder recommendations?
Old 12-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Leaf shredder recommendations?

When I read reviews of these things, they remind me very much of paper shredders......maybe it's not the machines' fault as much as the feeders who ,because of capacity backlogs, always want to push the threshold of the machine capability. At least that's my experience w/ paper shredding.
My more expensive gift paper shredder died. El Cheapo paper shredder is still going , tho rescued from many jams.

Any suggestions for leaf shredders? Harbor Freight has a few around
$100 that get lousy reviews and one around $400 that gets much better reviews but it seems it really is more geared toward branches.....a chipper/shredder. My application would be leaves with the hope that a few small twigs that got in the pile by accident wouldn't mess up the job.
Any suggestions? Seems like there should b something in the middle......
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rake 'em up in two rows just far enough apart to run the mower between them. A few passes with the lawn mower, working from between the piles out, and the leaves are chopped fine and will fertilize your lawn as they decompose. Easy, fast and no extra equipment to buy. I keep the chute open so the chopped leaves get discharged some distance. Just keep working your way out.

I did that this year with the idea of just compacting the pile a bit before I threw it all in the garden to compost it - but in no time there was nothing left to rake up.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I use my lawn tractor to play "leaf roundup" - I mow in a wide circle first, then tighter circles with the chute facing inward to collect the leaves in a medium size pile. Then I mow over the pile in several straight lines, and turn the mower around so the chute faces outward. I mow first in a tight circle, widening the radius as I go. The leaves get chopped up small pieces, over and over again.
I do 1/4 sections of the lawn, not the whole lawn area at once.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Rake 'em up in two rows just far enough apart to run the mower between them. A few passes with the lawn mower, working from between the piles out, and the leaves are chopped fine and will fertilize your lawn as they decompose. Easy, fast and no extra equipment to buy. I keep the chute open so the chopped leaves get discharged some distance. Just keep working your way out.

I did that this year with the idea of just compacting the pile a bit before I threw it all in the garden to compost it - but in no time there was nothing left to rake up.

-ERD50
Just finished using the above method on a massive amount of leaves.
Works best and quickest if you have a partner continuosly rake the leaves into nice piles for the mower.
We filled two large compost bins and still had lots to spread on the grass.
I wouldn't waste money on a shedder unless you plan to do lots of twig work also. We burn our twigs in the fire pit. Fine excuse for smores.....and beer.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I mow the leaves, too. After a pass or two I collect them in the grass-clipping catcher on the mower and add them to the compost-to be pile. They'll patiently wait there all winter. I'll mix them with grass clippings in the spring and the stage is set for nice compost soon thereafter.

I did buy one of those Harbor Freight leaf shredders, it is not very useful. Jams frequently, has a low feed rate and it's awkward to gather the leaves, lift them up to the feed area, and slowly feed them in. The mower handles 'em right on the ground and a lot faster.

A tip on using the mower for leaf shredding: If the pile is too high the mower deck just pushes many of the leaves out of the way. I set the front wheels to max height and leave the rear wheels at the regular setting. Having the front up high helps the mower gobble up the leaves, having the rear set low reduces the airflow through the deck so the leaves spend a bit more time getting chewed up before exiting.

Or, just pop a wheelie and gobble them up "hungry hippos" style, but don't let the domestic safety monitor catch you.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I let Mother Nature shred my leaves. In other words, I don't rake.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #7

Thanks all for the ideas. I'll remember that mower idea if I ever get one....
still on a human-powered reel mower. Do you use gas or electric?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:10 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I picked up a nice gas chipper shredder on Craigslist. I realize that this is bigger that you need, but for the same price as a new device that barely works, you can get a bigger, more robust one, used. If you are patient, you can buy anything on CL.....legal or not.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
T
I think I saw an electric mower one time in a display case. Of course, there aren't many reel mowers out there, either. You need to get out there and start generating noise and fumes like everyone else!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #10

Quote:
I use gas, but recently I took on the same task with DD's electric mower.
I was shocked (not literally) by the power it had. Cut and shred every bit as good as my polluter, but fighting that cord was more than I could tolerate.. Never again.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For the back lawn, I have one of these

TractorData.com John Deere STX46 tractor information

For the front lawn, I bought a Black & Decker key start, self propelled gasoline mower with interchangable parts to convert between mulching and/or bagger or standard open chute this year. Love it!