Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Leaking window
Old 10-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,290
Leaking window

OK... I came to get some info about a leak and see that Martha has alread started a thread about a leak... so, in the spirit of stopping ALL leaks... here is my sister's problem...


She had all of her windows replaced... they seemed to have done a great job on most of them, but there are two that are on the side of the house where there is hardiplank that leak... since I know nothing about windows...

Is there supposed to be some kind of flashing that should have been installed? I have not taken the trim board off the top, but there seems to be a gap that they put in some caulk or something that did not work.. I do not see any flashing that would drain away the water...

If there is not supposed to be flashing... then what is supposed to keep the water from running down the side, behind the trim piece at the top and around the window edge into her living room with her new wood floors

Just to stop one possible answer... the contractor did a great job on a lot of stuff, but is now being pursued by the police for taking some of my sisters money and LOTS of other people's money... one guy lost $70K... so trying to get him to fix it is out...

Thanks for your help...
__________________

__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,457
Mine have the flashing, I have hardiplank, and no leaks. Beyond that, I cannot offer much help! Maybe other more knowledgeable folk can tell you how to add the flashing to it after the fact.
__________________

__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,015
Absolutely there should be flashing! Caulk will dry out and ultimately fail, causing air and water leaks. My Dad recently had several windows replaced and the installers used a sticky white peel and stick sheet at the bottom (sill area) of the window opening, then they caulked the sides and top of the opening, put in the window, and then covered the outside edges of the frame with more of the peel and stick flashing stuff, making sure not to cover the drip cap on the top. Then they replaced the siding.
__________________
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,441
We've got a window problem too. We have a sliding door that leaks above the frame. There's another window above it, so I think that's the one that's leaking and the water is dripping down to the slider. Our builder is working on fixing it, so if I see anything useful in what he does I'll pass it along. Good luck.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Absolutely there should be flashing! Caulk will dry out and ultimately fail, causing air and water leaks. My Dad recently had several windows replaced and the installers used a sticky white peel and stick sheet at the bottom (sill area) of the window opening, then they caulked the sides and top of the opening, put in the window, and then covered the outside edges of the frame with more of the peel and stick flashing stuff, making sure not to cover the drip cap on the top. Then they replaced the siding.

Just as you say. This assumes, of course, that we are talking about vinyl windows which are installed with flanges about 2 inches in from the outside of the frame. Since it's Hardiplank that's likely. If the hardiplank is not something you want to pull to do the flashing you might well get by by picking out the failed caulking and replacing it with Vulkem, a nasty sticky non-hardening caulk/cement used on roofing jobs. Nice thing about Vulkem is that it's paintable with latex, unlike silicone caulks, even the ones that claim to be paintable. If you do use Vulem do a neat job, 'cause you're going to get one chance - doesn't clean up with anything you want to use.

The weather side of our old house has all the planks caulked with Vulkem - it works.
__________________
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central, Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OK... I came to get some info about a leak and see that Martha has alread started a thread about a leak... so, in the spirit of stopping ALL leaks... here is my sister's problem...


She had all of her windows replaced... they seemed to have done a great job on most of them, but there are two that are on the side of the house where there is hardiplank that leak... since I know nothing about windows...

Is there supposed to be some kind of flashing that should have been installed? I have not taken the trim board off the top, but there seems to be a gap that they put in some caulk or something that did not work.. I do not see any flashing that would drain away the water...

If there is not supposed to be flashing... then what is supposed to keep the water from running down the side, behind the trim piece at the top and around the window edge into her living room with her new wood floors

Just to stop one possible answer... the contractor did a great job on a lot of stuff, but is now being pursued by the police for taking some of my sisters money and LOTS of other people's money... one guy lost $70K... so trying to get him to fix it is out...

Thanks for your help...
Although the installer is "on the lam" the window manufacturer may be a source of help. I assume the installer, at one time, was in good standing with the manufacturer and was an "authorized installer" in which case they would stand behind the product. Probably not the case, in this case, but it may be worth a call/e-mail to the manufacturer; won't hurt. Definitely there should have been sealing material used around the entire opening before installing the windows and flashing at the top (under the drip edge) and bottom. Like so many other projects windows installation is not simply paying for a good product since poor installation will ruin the experience. Good Luck.
__________________
Vietnam Veteran, CW4 USA, Retired 1979
OAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Although the installer is "on the lam" the window manufacturer may be a source of help. I assume the installer, at one time, was in good standing with the manufacturer and was an "authorized installer" in which case they would stand behind the product. Probably not the case, in this case, but it may be worth a call/e-mail to the manufacturer; won't hurt. Definitely there should have been sealing material used around the entire opening before installing the windows and flashing at the top (under the drip edge) and bottom. Like so many other projects windows installation is not simply paying for a good product since poor installation will ruin the experience. Good Luck.
Thanks for all the suggestions..... I thought of this and did it just before coming back here.... trying to get 'instructions' and see if they will send me some flashing or whatever is needed as she bought a LOT from them... had all her windows replaced with double pane... let's hope they do stand behind their product..

BTW, NOT an authorized installer...
__________________

__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tightwad Window Insulation TromboneAl Other topics 18 10-07-2009 07:43 PM
Leaking Roof happy2bretired Other topics 18 07-17-2008 12:26 PM
The Travel Window shorttimer Life after FIRE 24 11-13-2006 03:10 PM
Window tint removal Sam Other topics 9 10-14-2006 11:36 AM
Advice on window replacements Toejam Other topics 11 06-14-2006 10:26 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.