Join Early Retirement Today

Learning how to cook?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Learning how to cook?

Since you have more time, did any of you try to learn to cook, bake or make something nutritionally?

Brew anything?
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nope, I'm affraid I might like my cooking and gain more weight. DW's been doing great for 40 years so I'm going with her till the end.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
Since you have more time, did any of you try to learn to cook, bake or make something nutritionally?
I've been cooking since I was in grade school, however since I retired I have oodles of time to try new recipes and learn new cooking techniques, especially in the winter when I'm indoors a lot more. I love experimenting with old "tried 'n' true" recipes, but using different ingredients or different seasonings. Or I'll see something that pics my interest on some cooking show, and I'll come up with my own version of it.

Plus, all in all, I always try to use fresh veggies and fruits, and fresh meats, poultry, and fish. Canned and processed cr*p usually has way too much sodium and other chemicals for my liking. But there is always room for the use of some bacon grease and lard in my kitchen!!! And though I prefer to use organic and non-GMO food items, I'm not a stickler about it. Overall, I'd say we eat a fairly healthy diet around here.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm learning how to cook now. It's fun. Last week pulled pork. I'm thinking of smoking some ribs today. I started brewing beer about 18 months ago. It's fun to experiment making my own recipes.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #5

Ms G and I went to Costa Rica in December for a vegan cooking classes with a spa experience. A week on the slope of Poas Volcano in the cloud forest. We did the tourist things, zip line, coffee tour, volcano hikes, during the day, and classes making our evening meal at night. Massages, Reflexology, and aroma therapy, saunas, and a great pool, were part of the day stay. Than off to the Pacific side to Manuel Antonio, for hiking, birding and kayaking for another week.
grasshopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #6

For a while there DW and I both "got into" cooking more than we ever had in the past. Unfortunately we liked our cooking too much and in six months we both gained 20 lbs.

So we went back to our old ways.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I started cooking when I moved off campus in college (the hamburger helper days), and for several years after college before getting married. I've continued to improve over the years, and now retired I think I am cooking tastier, healthier and more cost effectively. I've learned by reading cookbooks, a few cooking classes, a few cooking shows and just trying new recipes and ingredients (some good, some not).

I recently brewed some ginger ale and root beer, probably not what the OP had in mind...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

My speciality.....
Frugalityisthenewblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Frugalityisthenewblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalityisthenewblack View Post
Love it! I gotta make that for the kids some day!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Started cooking seriously when I RE'd. DW and I are foodies but now when we go out to dinner she almost always says "you could do this better". We end up saving a LOT (and I mean a lot) of $$ now.

I'm of the minimalist view: a few pots, two super quality skillets, a couple of good chef knives...not into gagetry.

The only thing I don't try is sushi because there is a great place down the street and 'why bother?'.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #12

Although I've cooked a lot since childhood (thanks, Mom!), I recently took a knife skills class. My food now looks as good as it tastes and as a bonus, it takes less time to prep now that I'm doing it right (I use lots of fresh veggies in my cooking). I just signed up for the advanced class which includes deboning a chicken and filleting a fish.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Started cooking seriously when I RE'd. DW and I are foodies but now when we go out to dinner she almost always says "you could do this better". We end up saving a LOT (and I mean a lot) of $$ now.

I'm of the minimalist view: a few pots, two super quality skillets, a couple of good chef knives...not into gagetry.
I won't say we're "serious" cooks, but we like to cook what we like to eat, and we almost never "dine out", for both reasons you cited.

Oh...and we recently bought a couple steamers, (one bamboo and the other electric); love 'em and are using them more and more.

+1 for the "minimalist" approach.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Ms G and I went to Costa Rica in December for a vegan cooking classes with a spa experience. A week on the slope of Poas Volcano in the cloud forest. We did the tourist things, zip line, coffee tour, volcano hikes, during the day, and classes making our evening meal at night. Massages, Reflexology, and aroma therapy, saunas, and a great pool, were part of the day stay. Than off to the Pacific side to Manuel Antonio, for hiking, birding and kayaking for another week.
Wow, that sounds like a wonderful vacation. I love all of the different experiences also. Sounds perfect!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Been cooking since I was ~12. Now and then try something new. Have to be careful not too eat too much.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

I have been trying new recipes a lot more since I retired . I also have taken a few cooking classes . They were fun & I always learned something .Last year I perfected my pizza making but since we went lower carb I have not been using that skill.SO seems happy with my cooking so that is all that matters .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I would prefer to never cook another meal, except grilling with friends. But both my budget, my tastes in food, and my health push me to cook every day.

I marvel at people who cook for fun. To me it is just the pain I have to go through to get to the meal.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalityisthenewblack View Post
What a fun dish to do for kids.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Who knows, maybe once I am retired I will graduate from being the world's worst cook to at least being adequate. Once can hope.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #20

I think people over estimate how difficult it is to be a decent cook.

I'm self-taught, have learnt so much watching shows on Food Network or just finding recipes on All Recipes.

It is quite easy to cook tasty food without having a dozen different ingredients, and there really does not have to be a need to use complicated techniques.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote