Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
PS: My BIL would routinely go out to "warm up the car", and then come in and gab for at *least* another hour before leaving. But that's BIL's for you.
My BIL does not leave his car running. But, he usually leaves his key AND his wallet in the car as he visits us, and parks in the street in front of our house.

And yes, he does not use seatbelts, as he claimed that in a past accident, he was hurt more by the belt than if he did not use it. I don't know how he would know that his face against the steering wheel would hurt less than the belt against his torso. But that's BIL for you.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:30 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And yes, he does not use seatbelts, as he claimed that in a past accident, he was hurt more by the belt than if he did not use it. I don't know how he would know that his face against the steering wheel would hurt less than the belt against his torso. But that's BIL for you.
Obviously a fool. I was in a head on, and the belt as well as the airbags did some considerable damage, broken ribs, pelvis sprains, back sprains, etc. But here I am, and I would not be but for both of those. I remember a very short lag between impact, belt tightening, and then airbag catching me as I jacknifed over the chest belt. All very fast, but the belt was important IMO.

Can't his wife make him wear it? For the children? For her? She could tell him she prefers a husband with a face.

ha

Old 01-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
he does not use seatbelts, as he claimed that in a past accident, he was hurt more by the belt than if he did not use it.
I have a distinct memory of driving with a neighbor (Mrs. Puccinelli) when I was about seven, and seat belts were just becoming common. She said "These things are dangerous. What if I were to drive off a bridge?"
Old 01-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #64
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I have a distinct memory of driving with a neighbor (Mrs. Puccinelli) when I was about seven, and seat belts were just becoming common. She said "These things are dangerous. What if I were to drive off a bridge?"
I remember those days. I am thinking of around 1955 or so. People wouldn't wear seatbelts, and there weren't any laws requiring it either. There weren't any warning labels on cigarette packages either, the usage of lard or Crisco in cooking was not that uncommon, there were fewer gyms in many regions, no airbags in cars, and "cocktail parties" were the rage or so we were told.

I wonder if our life expectancy has gone up that much since then, and by how much? I would hope that all of our collective efforts to alter our behaviors and stay safe and healthy would have added at least 5 years to the average life expectancy.

I am sure that advances in medicine have probably added a lot to our life expectancy, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I remember those days. I am thinking of around 1955 or so. People wouldn't wear seatbelts, and there weren't any laws requiring it either. There weren't any warning labels on cigarette packages either, the usage of lard or Crisco in cooking was not that uncommon, there were fewer gyms in many regions, no airbags in cars, and "cocktail parties" were the rage or so we were told.

I wonder if our life expectancy has gone up that much since then, and by how much? I would hope that all of our collective efforts to alter our behaviors and stay safe and healthy would have added at least 5 years to the average life expectancy.

I am sure that advances in medicine have probably added a lot to our life expectancy, too.
Reductions in amount of smoking and getting people to exercise more probably did more for the increase in life expectancy. Of course all the other stuff has created jobs and revenue for the "state" (through Sales Taxes, Employment Taxes, and Violation Taxes) if nothing else. Hard to validly quantify the impact. I think I am letting my libertarian leanings show.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Well as Butch said to Sundance on a similar occasion:

"What're you worried about?! Just the fall'll kill you."
Old 01-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Can't his wife make him wear it? For the children? For her? She could tell him she prefers a husband with a face.
ha
Their children are grown, so that's of no concern. I do not know my sister's position on car seat belts. However, their personalities match, in that they are somewhat more carefree than most people (I should have used the word careless). For example, they often leave their front door unlocked, whether they are home or not. Recently, they lock it, but leave the key hanging on the side of the door frame, in case their children come to visit, and want to get in.

Long, long time ago, other people in the family prodded them about that. Their answer was that nothing bad happened yet, and why we would wish bad luck would happen to them.

I am telling you, these things have not been brought up in our family for a long time. We have given up. Suffice to say, when our children were young, when the need arose, I would rather hire a baby sitter than to trust them with my children. Both my brothers share the same view regarding my sister and her husband. They would not trust them with their kids. They have a pool with fences around it (an AZ law), but tie the gate open for convenience.

One last thing, he put all his 401k into his megacorp stock. Last year, went to cash and took early retirement with nearly $2M in 401k, and pension to boot.

Here I am, trying to diversify and hedge and rebalance. Tell me, who am I to tell what somebody else to do?
Old 01-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

ha
Why not just suggest he increase his life insurance by a factor of 10. Cover both possibilities.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Their children are grown, so that's of no concern. I do not know my sister's position on car seat belts. However, their personalities match, in that they are somewhat more carefree than most people (I should have used the word careless). For example, they often leave their front door unlocked, whether they are home or not. Recently, they lock it, but leave the key hanging on the side of the door frame, in case their children come to visit, and want to get in.

Long, long time ago, other people in the family prodded them about that. Their answer was that nothing bad happened yet, and why we would wish bad luck would happen to them.

I am telling you, these things have not been brought up in our family for a long time. We have given up. Suffice to say, when our children were young, when the need arose, I would rather hire a baby sitter than to trust them with my children. Both my brothers share the same view regarding my sister and her husband. They would not trust them with their kids. They have a pool with fences around it (an AZ law), but tie the gate open for convenience.

One last thing, he put all his 401k into his megacorp stock. Last year, went to cash and took early retirement with nearly $2M in 401k, and pension to boot.

Here I am, trying to diversify and hedge and rebalance. Tell me, who am I to tell what somebody else to do?
IIRC there is some sort of psychological term for the belief that the longer one goes without adverse consequences, the the lower the likelihood of such; which is exactly the opposite of reality.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:41 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
IIRC there is some sort of psychological term for the belief that the longer one goes without adverse consequences, the the lower the likelihood of such; which is exactly the opposite of reality.
Good point. Insurance companies should give a discount to people with recent accidents and sock it to those who are overdue.

J/K!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:54 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember, at about 7 or so, when seatbelts started to be in cars.

My father was a private pilot. He had no problem with them. Nobody in our family had a problem - just one more place to buckle up.

Seatbelts and the collapsing steering-wheel column were probably the big lifesavers in car design. The shoulder harnesses, airbags, and so on are refining the design.

In terms of lifestyle, anti-smoking probably is the biggie.

ta,
mew
Old 01-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post
In terms of lifestyle, anti-smoking probably is the biggie.
Personally, I believe non-smoking would be healthier. I know a few anti-smoking advocates that came close to early death by preaching at the poor smokers huddling outside in the sleet trying to suck down a quick one.