Join Early Retirement Today

Leave it to Texas...
Old 02-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Leave it to Texas...

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/02/02/D8N1PVG80.html

Unbelievable...Merck comes out with a new drug and then lobbies the government to force children to have it...and the Texas government does it bidding...anyone surprised?
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Leave it to Texas...
Old 02-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #2

Excuse me if this seems like prying, OMD, but I wasn't aware that you HAD a cervix...
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't worry.. the lawsuits that will follow will delay this a long time..

BTW, it is 'the law' that you have vaccinations before going to school... but I know someone who refuses to have their second child immunized... their first has Autism (sp??) and they believe there is a connection... there is an exemption written into the rules somewhere so they don't go head to head about parental control of their children..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
Excuse me if this seems like prying, OMD, but I wasn't aware that you HAD a cervix...
Way more information than I need to know...

Cervical cancer kills more than a quarter of a million women per year, worldwide. This vaccination helps prevent a sexually transmitted disease that can cause the cancer.

And I thought the big hoo-hah wasnt going to be over whether this was good or not, but the denial over when teenagers start having sex. Theres a lot of folks who think the vaccine should be held off until 18 years old, because we dont ever want to do anything to encourage teenagers to have sex.

Funny, I dont remember as a teenager wanting to check anyones vaccination records before I hopped on them.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Theres a lot of folks who think the vaccine should be held off until 18 years old, because we dont ever want to do anything to encourage teenagers to have sex.
Well, I think you just hit the nail on the head there, CFB. That was kinda my point to OMD -- if you don't HAVE the affected organ, then why on earth would you care what vaccine was being given to whom? Lots of vaccines are required -- the only reason to mention this one is if you're in line for it or if you've got another agenda.

Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I can see the other end of this...a lot of people are itchy scratchy about vaccinations and there has been a persistent attempt to connect some vaccinations with some conditions. However to the best of my knowledge (and i'm not a doctor and dont play one on tv either) there is no concrete connection to anything other than the array of vaccinations available prevent many illnesses and save many lives.

But some people still fear vaccinations...there are some funny bits here and there that may indicate there might be some connection to other bad stuff happening...and some people thought the earth was flat for a long time...*shrug*.

CFB...whose little bunny got the last of his vaccinations this morning, and didnt like it one bit... But he got M&M's afterwards.

Speaking of cervixes, has anyone else noticed the uterus also functions as a tracking device? My wife can find anything in the house...me...nothing.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
.....but the denial over when teenagers start having sex......
Teenagers? I wish they were waiting THAT long!!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Speaking of cervixes, has anyone else noticed the uterus also functions as a tracking device? My wife can find anything in the house...me...nothing.
SEE, there I go learning something from this board again!! I wondered how Cindy did that all the time.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm just pleased to have been able to use "Speaking of cervixes..." as a segue...
Old 02-02-2007, 06:26 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Ya, I was just reading that some "conservatives" oppose the vaccine on the grounds that it "promotes premarital sex". :

I can see it now: "Mom, I would like to get my Gardasil vaccination & birth control. I'm planning to have sex next week."

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Well, I think you just hit the nail on the head there, CFB. That was kinda my point to OMD -- if you don't HAVE the affected organ, then why on earth would you care what vaccine was being given to whom? Lots of vaccines are required -- the only reason to mention this one is if you're in line for it or if you've got another agenda.
Thats about the stupidest comment I have ever read on this board...you should be embarrassed

As far as I know, the governor of Texas also does no have a cervix...so why is HE signing the order to force pre-teen girls to get a vaccine that they do not need.

And BTW, while I do not have a cervix, my 3 pre-teen daughters do so that give me as much right as anyone to voice my opinion..if you have nothing intelligent to say on the subject...don't.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Whoa now! You kids play nice...

Old 02-02-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMcDonald
Thats about the stupidest comment I have ever read on this board...you should be embarrassed

As far as I know, the governor of Texas also does no have a cervix...so why is HE signing the order to force pre-teen girls to get a vaccine that they do not need.

And BTW, while I do not have a cervix, my 3 pre-teen daughters do so that give me as much right as anyone to voice my opinion..if you have nothing intelligent to say on the subject...don't.
(Reply deleted - extreme offensiveness)
Old 02-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You seem to be saying that males should never care about any women's issues and vice versa. Is that what you really mean?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/02/02/D8N1PVG80.html

Unbelievable...Merck comes out with a new drug and then lobbies the government to force children to have it...and the Texas government does it bidding...anyone surprised?
Not sure I see what the problem is.

Wouldn't you want your daughters to have a vaccine that helps prevent cervical cancer.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Heres the problem. This vaccination stops a sexually transmitted disease that shows nearly no obvious symptoms and isnt easily detected without a specific test. Hence someone can contract it and easily give it to anyone they have unprotected sex with. Left untreated, it can cause cancer. Often it goes away on its own.

About 20 million people in the US currently have the virus; more than 80% of women will be infected with it at some point in their lives by the time they're 50.

One perspective is that its a good idea to vaccinate as early as possible to make sure that when someone becomes sexually active, they wont contract the disease and its spread can be stopped and eventually eliminated.

Another perspective is that the government is forcing our young adolescent girls to be given a vaccination that might, according to some theories, cause a problem...and in the process implying that our tender young ones will be having premarital sex before they're 18 with some less than pleasant man thats a carrier of an STD.

Of course the data says that its likely that there'll be a lot of premarital sex before the age of 18, and STD's arent particular about the pleasantness of who they infect.

So intellectually its easy to see that its a good idea to do this, as the side effects are likely to be fairly minimal and the benefits large. After all, nobody wants their kids to die from cancer.

Emotionally...the government is calling their 11 year olds little ho's and then after the implication, performing medical experiments on them to limit the damage the little tramp can do.

In a different light, if there was a disease that caused one out of ten little girls' hair to fall out and a vaccination came out to prevent that, there'd be lines a mile long at every medical center in the country.

But toss in a little teenage intercourse and an STD...whole different ball of wax. Because it wouldn't be something that YOUR little girl is going to be doing.

And I should at this time point out that I do not have a cervix.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:

Dude easy now, the religious nuts were going to make a stand and try to have the government make merck not have the vaccine available.

All the Texas gov did was make a good vaccine available to all young girls.

Your 3 girls should get the vaccine.

I have seen cervical cancer, it kills the wonderful ladies.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
if you don't HAVE the affected organ, then why on earth would you care what vaccine was being given to whom? Lots of vaccines are required -- the only reason to mention this one is if you're in line for it or if you've got another agenda.
while i understand people getting upset about this, i don't think this sentiment is completely without merit and i'm not certain the daddy card trumps it (for even if so, then the daddy card certainly would be trumped by the mommy card). i would imagine many women are tired of guys putting their laws on women's bodies. i can relate to this, being gay and having str8 people decide whether or not i should be treated as a full human being who can marry like they can. and i can imagine how it must have felt being an african american while watching uppity white americans decide whether or not blacks should be allowed to vote.

i do completely agree with the op's opinion of the inappropriateness of our government to experiment on our population at our expense and for corporate profit. it is somewhat reminiscent of the tuskegee experiment.

all of the above reminding me how little far we've come.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
. . . And I should at this time point out that I do not have a cervix.
Are you sure? Have you checked under the cushions in your couch. I find things there sometimes.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:01 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Saw the news tonight and it is like I thought....

THERE IS A PARENT OPT OUT....

So, if you don't want your baby to get it.... don't...

But, I disagree with the people/women who say the OP has not 'skin' in this game... men have a right to have a say in their wives and daughters medical decisions just like a wife has in HIS medical decisions... the final decision is the individual EXCEPT for children... then it is the parents, ONE of them is a man..

And being gay or black and all that 'stuff' is false argument IMO.. rubbish

Also, they had a 32 YO lady who has the cancer and is expected to be dead by April.. she was happy that they are making it a 'requirement'... she would have loved to have had the vaccine and be able to live... trump THAT..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote