Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2015, 06:07 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I heard stories when younger that the nuns would come around with a ruler to smack those who used their left hand for writing. Luckily, that practice must have stopped when I went to grade school as I write left handed.

I was a lefty until Catholic School. The ruler took care of that. Do most things righty now, but oddly I still am left-handed in dreams.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #22
Administrator

My big brother was a leftie and had a lot of problems due to that. So when I came along and was also a leftie, my parents would have none of it. I wasn't allowed to favor my left hand, and they talked to the school so I wasn't allowed to write with my left hand or do anything left handed. I had a pencil or other tool removed from my left hand (along with a swat and scolding by parent or teacher) about, oh, 30498576270 times in early life.

I learned to choose my right hand for everything, but oddly I was still quite ambidextrous. That helped me tremendously in playing piano as a child and teen. For a while I used both hands in tennis instead of relying on backhand (like a famous tennis player back then whose name I have forgotten), but my family did not take to that and so I had to learn to use my right hand only.

When I was in my late 20's I incurred substantial nerve damage in my left arm and hand, so now I am genuinely right handed and never encounter anti-leftie bias any more. But for a while there I was truly ambidextrous and it was great.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
For a while I used both hands in tennis instead of relying on backhand (like a famous tennis player back then whose name I have forgotten), but my family did not take to that and so I had to learn to use my right hand only.
Chris Evert?
Old 02-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
The ruler took care of that.
I'm left-handed. I remember nuns whacking me with a ruler every time I used my left-hand to write. Odd thing though, I never went to Catholic school.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Another lefty. An aunt was forced to use her right in the old country, but I never had any those issues.
My parents bought me a right handed baseball glove when I was young. Not that it helped.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Lefties are a sinister lot.
Hee hee, I got that

I don't know what the big deal is about lack of products designed for lefties... We put the steering wheel on the LEFT side, that oughta be enough!
They don't even get THAT in the UK, Aussieland, India, etc.

BTW, don't let anyone give you a left-handshake in many parts of the world
Old 02-10-2015, 12:15 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
The greatest insult was way back at the camp down on the lake a female carpenter(friend) was insulting my Skill saw cuts 'I gonna buy you a left handed skill saw'.

heh heh heh - left handed INTJ ER nanner nanner
So, this lefties talk got me looking at my circular saws. I've always hold the saw with my right hand but the saw blade is on the left side, so I believe, a "lefty saw".
Old 02-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
that's how I fish
You can catch fish by just dropping the rod into the lake? The things I learn here!
Old 02-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
I was a lefty until Catholic School. The ruler took care of that. Do most things righty now, but oddly I still am left-handed in dreams.

I remember my dad doing his best to convince me to switch to my right hand but I was / am very stubborn and stuck with the "wrong" hand. Also, in 2nd grade, I remember getting rapped across the head by the nun for genuflecting on my left knee during a first communion practice.

That being said, did/do alot of things right handed - batting, golf and hockey. Everything else - "wrong" hand.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #30

I can't hit a golf ball right handed...almost impossible....well maybe I could hit one with a putter.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
You can catch fish by just dropping the rod into the lake? The things I learn here!
no casting with my left hand...I don't do a lot of fishing....I heard the fish don't bite in Idaho
Old 02-11-2015, 07:05 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I'm left handed in everything except swinging a bat/golf club/hockey stick.

My right handed Dad wasn't aware of the differences in these things when he taught me how to swing a bat right handed and now I'm stuck with a weaker swing because of it!

Sp that explains my weaker batting average and loss of distance in the golf swing! Now I can sleep at night.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

The right-handed desks were a nightmare unless the seat next to you on the left was empty and you could just pull that desk closer. And don't forget how hard it was when you had to use a thre-ring binder.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #34

The only area I recall being left-handed being a big deal was in sports. For example, it was trouble finding a right hand fielders glove. Two of the positions I liked (catcher and 2nd base) never go to left-handers. But it was an advantage batting and playing first base.

My DW got an appreciation for things when we bought our first non-condo home. The previous owners were left-handed and had things positioned that way. DW couldn't figure out why things like light switches and door knobs seemed "out of place" to her- until she realized it was meant for left-handers.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:40 AM   #35

I'm totally messed up...

Left Handed:
Write
Brush teeth
Hold cup or glass
Knife when prepping food
Paint
Archery/Shooting

Right Handed
Throw
Golf
Dinner Knife
Scissors (but forced to)

So not truly ambidextrous - as if I had to throw left handed - wouldn't work
Old 02-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #36
Administrator

Maybe there will be more lefties around when present kids grow up. I haven't heard of anybody being forced to use their right hand, in a long time. That practice seems to be out of favor in recent years. So with few kids forced to convert, maybe more would remain lefties.

I often wonder if being forced to convert made any positive or negative differences in my life. Overall, I can't see it but then who knows?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #37

One advantage being a lefty was shooting a basketball. Growing up, I was usually the shortest guy on the court but seldom had my shot blocked. Also, when playing defense, it was easier to defend against right handed players (when they were dribbling as well as shooting).

Ah, the good old days!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I heard stories when younger that the nuns would come around with a ruler to smack those who used their left hand for writing. Luckily, that practice must have stopped when I went to grade school as I write left handed.

That's what happened to me. In the old days penmanship was a major effort in the primary grades. I could get an A+ with my left hand but only an A- with my right. For penmanship tests I always tried to use my left hand and was frequently whacked on the wrist for it. I had good penmanship with my right hand well into my high school years. I can still write more legibly than many with my right hand.

I am left or right handed depending on what it is and where I learned it. I am right eye dominant so I shoot right handed. I throw with my right arm but could switch hit effectively in little league. I cast left handed and wind the reel with my right hand. I shave left handed. Right handed tools have never been a problem.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #39

My penmanship is atrocious with either hand, my spelling, diction and punctuation is just as bad regardless of which hand or keyboard produced it.