Left handers unite!

Lefties are a sinister lot.
Hee hee, I got that ;)

I don't know what the big deal is about lack of products designed for lefties... We put the steering wheel on the LEFT side, that oughta be enough!
They don't even get THAT in the UK, Aussieland, India, etc.

BTW, don't let anyone give you a left-handshake in many parts of the world :nonono:

The greatest insult was way back at the camp down on the lake a female carpenter(friend) was insulting my Skill saw cuts 'I gonna buy you a left handed skill saw'.

heh heh heh - left handed INTJ ER nanner nanner :LOL: :dance: ;)

So, this lefties talk got me looking at my circular saws. I've always hold the saw with my right hand but the saw blade is on the left side, so I believe, a "lefty saw". :blush:

I was a lefty until Catholic School. The ruler took care of that. Do most things righty now, but oddly I still am left-handed in dreams.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I remember my dad doing his best to convince me to switch to my right hand but I was / am very stubborn and stuck with the "wrong" hand. Also, in 2nd grade, I remember getting rapped across the head by the nun for genuflecting on my left knee during a first communion practice.

That being said, did/do alot of things right handed - batting, golf and hockey. Everything else - "wrong" hand.

I can't hit a golf ball right handed...almost impossible....well maybe I could hit one with a putter.

You can catch fish by just dropping the rod into the lake? The things I learn here!

no casting with my left hand...I don't do a lot of fishing....I heard the fish don't bite in Idaho :eek:

I'm left handed in everything except swinging a bat/golf club/hockey stick.

My right handed Dad wasn't aware of the differences in these things when he taught me how to swing a bat right handed and now I'm stuck with a weaker swing because of it!

Sp that explains my weaker batting average and loss of distance in the golf swing! Now I can sleep at night.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The right-handed desks were a nightmare unless the seat next to you on the left was empty and you could just pull that desk closer. And don't forget how hard it was when you had to use a thre-ring binder.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The only area I recall being left-handed being a big deal was in sports. For example, it was trouble finding a right hand fielders glove. Two of the positions I liked (catcher and 2nd base) never go to left-handers. But it was an advantage batting and playing first base.

My DW got an appreciation for things when we bought our first non-condo home. The previous owners were left-handed and had things positioned that way. DW couldn't figure out why things like light switches and door knobs seemed "out of place" to her- until she realized it was meant for left-handers.

I'm totally messed up...

Left Handed:
Write
Brush teeth
Hold cup or glass
Knife when prepping food
Paint
Archery/Shooting

Right Handed
Throw
Golf
Dinner Knife
Scissors (but forced to)

So not truly ambidextrous - as if I had to throw left handed - wouldn't work

Maybe there will be more lefties around when present kids grow up. I haven't heard of anybody being forced to use their right hand, in a long time. That practice seems to be out of favor in recent years. So with few kids forced to convert, maybe more would remain lefties.

I often wonder if being forced to convert made any positive or negative differences in my life. Overall, I can't see it but then who knows?

One advantage being a lefty was shooting a basketball. Growing up, I was usually the shortest guy on the court but seldom had my shot blocked. Also, when playing defense, it was easier to defend against right handed players (when they were dribbling as well as shooting).

Ah, the good old days!

I heard stories when younger that the nuns would come around with a ruler to smack those who used their left hand for writing. Luckily, that practice must have stopped when I went to grade school as I write left handed.

That's what happened to me. In the old days penmanship was a major effort in the primary grades. I could get an A+ with my left hand but only an A- with my right. For penmanship tests I always tried to use my left hand and was frequently whacked on the wrist for it. I had good penmanship with my right hand well into my high school years. I can still write more legibly than many with my right hand.

I am left or right handed depending on what it is and where I learned it. I am right eye dominant so I shoot right handed. I throw with my right arm but could switch hit effectively in little league. I cast left handed and wind the reel with my right hand. I shave left handed. Right handed tools have never been a problem.

My penmanship is atrocious with either hand, my spelling, diction and punctuation is just as bad regardless of which hand or keyboard produced it.

Back
Top Bottom