Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't vouch for it personally (I've used Retired), but I've been told that it's an optional item, so you can just put in N/A or the like (don't leave it blank, though).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Legal Name for Passport Application
Old 02-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I made a copy of my completed renewal form on which I put "Retired" for occupation and left the employer field blank, so I'll know whether that flies (if so, I will too).

I submitted for routine processing, so will find out how long that takes (they say 6 weeks).

A lot of ER-hopefuls have travel plans in their future, so it may be good to know that, under current rules, you can renew an expired passport if your prior one expired within the past 5 years (the date is printed on it). That is, there is a window during which you can renew an expired passport).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Okay, a couple more passport application questions.

When showing the citizenship document (birth certificate) to the person who takes the application (such as at an accepting post office), does the person take the original document and then forwards that on for evaluation? Or does the person just look at the document and return it back right there?

I know I'll have to photocopy both sides of my driver's liscense but am unsure about the certified copy of my birth certificate.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #24

Of course the alternative where you are not going by the name on the birth certificate, is to file in court for a name change. The exact proceedure depends on your state and county, but apparently does not cost a lot. With a copy of that document as well as the birth certificate you can get a passport in the name you use. Then you can have all documents match.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #25

I received my new (renewed) passport today, so it took no more than 4 weeks to have it back in my hands for routine by-mail processing (I would still allow for the 6 weeks they advertise).

This was with "Retired" listed as occupation and leaving the employer field blank.

I did not get my old passport back, I'd understood I would. I may ask them why, as they're an interesting piece of personal history. If it's gone though, that's not the end of the world.

Edit: I'd written the date I actually mailed my application on my copy; it took exactly 3 weeks for full turnaround - not bad!

Old 03-02-2015, 06:47 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I did not get my old passport back, I'd understood I would. I may ask them why, as they're an interesting piece of personal history. If it's gone though, that's not the end of the world.
Look for ANOTHER envelope to arrive with the old passport in it. For some reason, the folks that validate the old passports are in a different location than are the folks who assemble the new passports.

We just went through this drill in January.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Look for ANOTHER envelope to arrive with the old passport in it. For some reason, the folks that validate the old passports are in a different location than are the folks who assemble the new passports.

We just went through this drill in January.

You were right. The prior passport (issued in 2000) arrived today. Definite change. That guy must have worked too long!

Old 03-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Okay. My passport application is in the hopper and submitted today.

I filled everything online and printed out the application to bring which made my process faster. But there was a family ahead of me which applied from scratch which took about an hour.

Now comes the waiting. If the person reviewing my application is having a good day, I'll pass with flying colors. Otherwise, I'd get turned down

There was one question as when I showed my driver's liscense, the clerk noticed my middle initial. I told her that's my confirmation name, that I don't have a middle name at birth. She paused, and said Okay.

Oh, I didn't know no smiling allowed for passport photos. So, my picture looks like I just got released from a penitentiary
Old 04-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Got my passport in the mail today

That was a quick turn around.

After signing the passport to make that valid, I'm now about 95% happy.

Speak about performance anxiety. I could hear myself saying "don't mess up, don't mess up" several times as I was signing.

I'm only 95% happy as the passport doesn't really leave a lot of room for signing below the signature line, which I avoided. So now characters like "g,q,y" ended up above the line. Oh well, I can live with that.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:27 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

This has me remembering. In the early 80's, after I married, I changed my name on everything to (based on the advice of a banking employee):
My middle name (that I go by)-maiden name-married name. When I say it was changed on everything, it really was. I barely remembered my first name, as listed on birth certificate.

After 9/11, my passport had to match my birth certificate, as in first name and married last name. It was a bit of a hassle. I eventually changed DL, SS card, all of it because it seemed there was no choice.

When I posted the quandary on a cruisecritic.com forum, before a cruise, a couple folks derided me, as in, DUH, what did you expect? Your legal name has to match your birth certificate.

Around about that time, I almost was not allowed to board a plane in Little Rock. The TSA agent said "Good luck. It is what it is." Thankfully, I made it to Boston and back.
....and then, I got scared and changed it all to match the birth certificate.
It felt funny to be in late 40's and not understand what a legal name really meant.