Join Early Retirement Today

Legal question
Old 12-19-2005, 02:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Legal question

Martha or any other lawyers that would care to comment:

The president has publicly admitted to spying on Merkin citizens using the NSA. As I understand it, this is a black and white transgression of law. Why have impeachment hearing not been scheduled? If, hypothetically, a sitting president's party controlled congress and steadfastly refused to begin proceedings, would there be any legal remedy, or could the president murder at will and tell the public to go pound sand?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Legal question
Old 12-19-2005, 02:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Black and white? Nothing is ever black and white.

The NSA activities are claimed to be justified in a classified Justice Department legal opinion authored by John C. Yoo, a former deputy in the Office of Legal Counsel who argued that congressional approval of the war on al Qaeda gave broad authority to the president.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Do you find that line of argument convincing?

I would like to think that the protection of our civil rights should merit more than an opinion of some flunky lawyer, but as is so often the case lately, I am expecting to be disappointed on this score.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-19-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

No I don't. I think that the guy who wrote the memo is the same guy that wrote the torture memo.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

>>Why have impeachment hearing not been scheduled?

Republican president, republican senate, republican house...thats why.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Martha or any other lawyers that would care to comment:

The president has publicly admitted to spying on Merkin citizens using the NSA.* As I understand it, this is a black and white transgression of law.* Why have impeachment hearing not been scheduled?* If, hypothetically, a sitting president's party controlled congress and steadfastly refused to begin proceedings, would there be any legal remedy, or could the president murder at will and tell the public to go pound sand?
I think you're jumping to conclusions. It is legally possible for the NSA to spy on Americans.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
I think you're jumping to conclusions.* It is legally possible for the NSA to spy on Americans.
Of course. But what was done sounds an awful lot like it was NOT legally done. I have to say that I am not that far from learning all the words to "Oh Canada".

- Will Rogers
Old 12-19-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have to say that I am not that far from learning all the words to "Oh Canada".
Thinking of moving to Canada, eh? Check with Alex Baldwin if you need some assistance...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:22 PM   #9

It's "O Canada". By the way, there are some elections in November. 1/3 of the Senate and all of the House I think.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:38 PM   #10

The thing i keep wondering is, How many major screwups is he going to say "I'm completely responsible for"* (ie.* Katrinia response, attacking Iraq with bad intelligence*, etc) and not relieve himself of duty.* *This really confuses me.* *

Someone needs to tell him when you fail miserably at your job, you're supposed to step aside and let someone else do it.* Why didnt he take the hint from the FEMA director stepping aside?* That's what you're supposed to do on major blunders, lol.

* I have never believed he had bad intelligence. I think he knew exactly what they did and did not had, and attacked under false pretense. I never believed they had WMD, and I never believed they harbored international terrorists.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:38 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

If, hypothetically, a sitting president's party controlled congress and steadfastly refused to begin proceedings, would there be any legal remedy, or could the president murder at will and tell the public to go pound sand?
Impeachment is a non-justiciable political question. The Supremes will not stand in. Certainly not on this wiretapping thing; Congress has to do it. Congress is really the only check for behavior such as this (of course, the courts could refuse to allow illegally gained wiretap evidence if Bush got around to prosecuting those he was listening in on.)

Could an independent counsel (or the current one investigating Plamegate, Fitzgerald) start investigating? Maybe. But only real check on the President is either a) public pressure forces resignation after said indepedent prosecutor unearths/forces the unearthing of serious dirt, a la Nixon) or b) impeachment.

Congress can do other things, and they hold the purse strings, but you won't see this resolved in the courts anymore than, say, the War Powers Act.

Old 12-19-2005, 05:46 PM   #12

If we could get a redo on the definition of "Americans" we probably wouldn't need to spy on them
Old 12-19-2005, 06:15 PM   #13

Last I heard, the Senate Judiciary Committee -- Senator Specter -- wants to hold hearings.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd
>>Why have impeachment hearing not been scheduled?

Republican president, republican senate, republican house...thats why.
And don't forget a majority of the voting public who are GWB appologists. *I think a lot of people who voted for the coke-snorting, draft-dodging, manipulative, ultra wealthy elitist don't want to admit he's a disaster. * (Whew. *It's hard to get all that derogatory information into one sentence.) *Rather than stand up against the world's largest ever budget deficit, an unjustified and costly war, torture and war crimes, or serious violations of civil liberties, they just stick to their Republican dogma. *They don't want to admit they were wrong. *If there were some outrage from the voters, even a Republican House might decide it was smart to start procedings. *But with massive complacency, why take action and bring attention to it?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:19 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
*I never believed they had WMD.
Then I guess you are smarter than Bill Clinton who thought they did.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go
Then I guess you are smarter than Bill Clinton who thought they did.
There we have it...I wondered how long it would take on the thread before Bill Clinton was blamed for GWB invading Iraq in search of non-existent WMD's.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:51 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Anyone on the forum want to take a wager on how many posts this thread will go before the N*zi reference comes up? And no, this one doesn't count...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:56 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There we have it...I wondered how long it would take on the thread before Bill Clinton was blamed for GWB invading Iraq in search of non-existent WMD's.
Huh?

I don't really understand how you can misconstrue "Then I guess you are smarter than Bill Clinton who though [Iraq had WMD]" to mean "Bill Clinton is responsible for invading Iraq."
Old 12-19-2005, 07:00 PM   #19

Quote:
I've been observing the political debate in this country long enough that I can explain this. *First, I'm pretty sure that Bill Clinton is the root of all evil in the world. *Any act by any Republican can be rationalized simply by attacking Bill Clinton. *Sometimes for really big crimes it helps to attack Hillary too. *Small indiscretions by Republicans can be rationalized with a simple negative comment about Democrats or the Democratic Party. *Anyone making comments or observations about Republican indiscretions or misbehavior is obviously a liberal, Bill Clinton lover; and since Bill is the root of all evil, that also makes them devil worshipers. *Of course devil worshipers are freaks and nothing they say is valid or needs to be considered. *
Old 12-19-2005, 07:04 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

To remind the conveniently forgetful:

"Saddam (Hussein) must not be allowed to threaten his neighbors or the world with nuclear arms, poison gas or biological weapons," Clinton said.* Dec 16 1998

From the ultra-right-wing site of CNN.

For those too lazy to click through to the CNN site because it may disquite their hyperpartisan fantasy world, this is also a quote:

"Their mission is to attack Iraq's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors," said Clinton.

and this . . .

Timing was important, said the president, because without a strong inspection system in place, Iraq could rebuild its chemical, biological and nuclear programs in a matter of months, not years.

don't forget this . . .

"The best way to end that threat once and for all is with a new Iraqi government -- a government ready to live in peace with its neighbors, a government that respects the rights of its people," Clinton said.

Keep in mind that someone can be wrong without being a liar. Even Bill Clinton.