Join Early Retirement Today

Leisure time predictions in the 70's
Old 02-22-2005, 06:29 AM   #1

Leisure time predictions in the 70's

Do any of you remember the predictions of future Leisure time that was often made in the 1970's?

Because of Technology and efficientcy, workers were going to have vast amounts of leisure time in the future. Probably a 35 hour work week, 6 week vacations etc. etc. - The only problem was what to do with all of that 'extra' time.

I've got a question for today's workers. How's that workin for ya?

Whenever I hear any 'expert' making predications of any kind,(market returns and interest rate movements included) I always dig out of my memory the predictions that were made 25 years ago. Most all of them are so laughable, that it makes you wonder how anyone could have swallowed it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Leisure time predictions in the 70's
Old 02-22-2005, 06:36 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Because of Technology and efficientcy, workers were going to have vast amounts of leisure time in the future. Probably a 35 hour work week, 6 week vacations etc. etc. - The only problem was what to do with all of that 'extra' time.
The problem is that in the US the efficiency gains didn't go to the bottom 50-75% of society. *The next group of 20-45% that got some of the productivity gains (as well as double incomes over that time) is blowing what little they got on consumer crud. The top 5% are making out like bandits.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:37 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

You make a good point, Cut-Throat. I have a book with title something like "U.S. Standards of Living" that examines in great detail what people spent money on in different eras. There is a section that discusses the phenomenon that you are referring to here, but that goes back even before the 70s. People were making these sorts of predictions even back in earlier eras.

The problem is that people have not defined what is "enough." If you do not define the end point of your working-for-money efforts, you can never achieve them. You just keep earning more, and then, after you earn it, you look around for something new to spend it all on.
hocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:44 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember hearing these predictions. If we did have 30-35 hour work weeks, maybe so many of us would not feel burned out.

Americans just seem to have have this work ethic...
Old 02-22-2005, 08:53 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Americans just seem to have have this work ethic...
I suppose it may be "work ethic". It may also be simply that American workers have not figured out how to exert political power, once the industrial unions were emasculated.

The public sector unions which are strong and getting stronger seem to be doing quite well by their members.

Mikey
Old 02-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Do any of you remember the predictions of future Leisure time that was often made in the 1970's?

I've got a question for today's workers. How's that workin for ya?

Whenever I hear any 'expert' making predications of any kind,(market returns and interest rate movements included) I always dig out of my memory the predictions that were made 25 years ago. Most all of them are so laughable, that it makes you wonder how anyone could have swallowed it.

C-T,

Remember the corporate side: Efficiency experts and TIME STUDIES (stop watches and clip boards). Followed by ergonomics in in 90's. Outsourcing in the '00s. Whats next? I think they're calling it virtual employment... goes hand-in-nand with virtual benefits.

BUM
Old 02-22-2005, 04:32 PM   #7

Actually, the predictions of less work and more leisure did come true...

IN EUROPE!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 04:58 PM   #8

Because of adances in technology, workers are expected to produce more at a much faster pace. The end result: more work, less play.