Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This bit from our local TV station is...yucky!

So, who served us the dirtiest lemon? That dubious distinction went to the Hooters. The lemon they put in our drink contained 3 different kinds of fecal contamination.

"We have a mixture, a nice fecal cocktail here," said Dr. Fothergill. Unlike the other places, the source of the bacteria is almost certainly human. Fothergill explained, "Quite clearly someone did not wash their hands before they handled lemons and sliced them, and put them on the cup."
Compliments of the "pooters at Hooters"...

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2008, 04:28 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well... assuming there is a restaurant lemon causal situation. What happened?

1. The restaurants did not was the lemons before serving them?
  2. The restaurants are so filthy that they cannot set the washed lemons anywhere without picking up bacteria and poop?
If it is situation 2... wouldn't that apply to just about any food? Yuk!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #23

Now just hold on here people..Here we are devoting all this bandwidth to talking about dirty lemons in some Texas Hooters while the "real" issue sits there unaddressed
What is it about Texans that causes them to go to Hooters for LEMONS in the first place? There has to be some deep psychological fruit issue at play here.:confused:

Believe me folks, this is not the Texas I left behind. No sireee, never once did I hear a Texan say--"hey lets go on down to Hooters and check out their lemons." Not once.

REW--HFWR--are you guys even paying attention to the state of the state?? Please, if you can't give me at least a cantaloupe story, then give me no story at all.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I don't believe this study.

First, I'll bet that the lemons are no dirtier nor cleaner than anything else from the restaurant. That just happened to be the only thing tested, from what I read. Take cultures from anything, and you're going to get results like this.

Second, the media just loves stories like this. Other recent ones: Hotel remote controls and bedspreads, sponges (must change every month), etc. I'm sure that you can culture some bacteria from this stuff, but I'm not convinced that there's enough there to cause illness except in rare cases. Could be wrong.

I'm a card-carrying germophobe, but I think the thing that's worth being careful about is cold viruses from shaking hands or touching things.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Highest concentration of urine in a mens room is the mint dish. Second highest is the door handle on the inside.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:23 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I don't believe this study.

First, I'll bet that the lemons are no dirtier nor cleaner than anything else from the restaurant. That just happened to be the only thing tested, from what I read. Take cultures from anything, and you're going to get results like this.

Second, the media just loves stories like this. Other recent ones: Hotel remote controls and bedspreads, sponges (must change every month), etc. I'm sure that you can culture some bacteria from this stuff, but I'm not convinced that there's enough there to cause illness except in rare cases. Could be wrong.

I'm a card-carrying germophobe, but I think the thing that's worth being careful about is cold viruses from shaking hands or touching things.
It looks like most e coli is not bad, some is kinda bad, and some is vicious. E. coli: Dangers of eating raw or undercooked foods - MayoClinic.com

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Highest concentration of urine in a mens room is the mint dish.
Doncha just hate it when you see some idiot peeing in that dish? What are they thinking!
Old 04-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Pretty small urinal cakes...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Number 2...

From what I've been reading - it's number 1 and number 2
Old 04-26-2008, 10:09 AM   #30

One of the reason I hate to eat out is that my sorry digestive system is so sensitive to bacteria. If they've got it, I know it, and real soon. In fact, there are places I don't eat at anymore because of that in spite of what the inspection sign says over the cash register. I agree with HA, lemon is probably just the canary in the mine.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I remember Rich saying something about a fecal test someone did in a hospital or lab and after a few weeks they found the stuff was on practically every surface everywhere in the vicinity.

So if the restaurant has a bathroom...

Oh and as an aside, never take a blacklight into your bathroom. I use one to find the occasional cat pee spot but it highlights any organic matter. In case you dont feel like buying one to check it out, just wash everything from eye level on down.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Well... assuming there is a restaurant lemon causal situation. What happened?

1. The restaurants did not was the lemons before serving them?
  2. The restaurants are so filthy that they cannot set the washed lemons anywhere without picking up bacteria and poop?
  3. The cook's helper didn't (or couldn't) read those signs saying that employees should wash their hands after using the restroom! Then he sliced up some lemons and prepared your salad.
If it is situation 2... wouldn't that apply to just about any food? Yuk!
So now, I wonder what the health department requires for a grade "A" designation, if they still grade restaurants. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing one of those decals lately. I'll look for one today when Frank takes me out for lunch.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I remember Rich saying something about a fecal test someone did in a hospital or lab and after a few weeks they found the stuff was on practically every surface everywhere in the vicinity.
Hospitals can become extremely unsanitary places very quickly because of all the humanity and illness that passes through. I worked in one many years ago (as a surgical ward clerk while in school), and despite the orderlies mopping the floors thoroughly with Lysol on a daily basis and so on, there were still problems out on the floors.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #34

6 ingredients for a green, clean home - At Home on Shine

Hmmmmmmm - just don't get your lemons from Hooters........
Old 04-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #35

Hmm Hooters .. Makes my mouth water for some fecal free wings.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

fecal is strong stuff. We are working on getting a small subdivision of vacant property approved next to a chemical plant shut down by the epa for releasing contaminants. The ground water on the proposed subdivision was checked for chemical contaminants - none were found, but fecal coliform was found in the sample.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
fecal is strong stuff. We are working on getting a small subdivision of vacant property approved next to a chemical plant shut down by the epa for releasing contaminants. The ground water on the proposed subdivision was checked for chemical contaminants - none were found, but fecal coliform was found in the sample.
With ~7 billion people and all the associated cats dogs pigs sheep cattle chickens...; how could one not find e-coli everywhere?
Old 04-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Highest concentration of urine in a mens room is the mint dish. Second highest is the door handle on the inside.
Thanks, I think I'll stick to eating the mints from the dish by the cash register...

Did you ever wonder about the parties where you saw the bathroom door open, and someone would come out holding a full bottle of Corona?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

An upgrade vs actual corona?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Highest concentration of urine in a mens room is the mint dish.
Hold on a second. A mint dish in the men's room? I have never been in a men's room that served food. Is this some super high class thing??