Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Les Miserables (2012 movie)
Old 12-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Les Miserables (2012 movie)

DW is a Les Mis fan so we HAD to see it on Christmas. It is a powerful story to be sure.
  • If you like the play/story, you will like the movie. Seeing the actors up close is different than actors on stage (even from row 1).
  • If you're undecided on the play, but like the big name actors you will probably like the movie.
  • Otherwise it's a great story told with a cast of great actors who can sing OK (and you may be underwhelmed), where a cast of great singers who can act OK might have been a better choice - there is literally no spoken dialog, they sing through the whole movie.
We enjoyed it, but it won't make our all time Top 10.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

If you haven't seen the play, you can see it here...

Old 12-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We saw it on Christmas Day and we all enjoyed it. I had seen the Liam Neeson movie version (no singing) so I knew the basics of the story. I was concerned that with all of it being sung that I wouldn't be able to understand all the words but it was no problem at all.

I felt the movie was done very well. Anne Hathaway was superb. Hugh Jackman was excellent and his part spanned a range of ages and circumstances. Some of the voices were really surprising, particularly Amanda Seyfried and Samantha Barks.

There were people in the audience who were crying and DH said he choked up in a few scenes.

We don't celebrate Christmas so it's been our thing to always go to a movie. We've seen some good ones and some awful ones ("Nine" with Daniel Day-Lewis) but this was one of the best.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I felt the movie was done very well. Anne Hathaway was superb. Hugh Jackman was excellent and his part spanned a range of ages and circumstances.
I'm sorry, but the only cultural reference that comes to mind here is watching Catwoman and Wolverine tearing up the scenery...

Yeah, I know, my high-school English teachers were never very happy with me either.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote