Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Less than a year away...
Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Less than a year away...

I try not to get too worked up about politics, but some of this makes me really angry. And some of it is admittedly one-sided or a bit unfair. But still:

This individual seeks an executive position. He will be available January 2009, and is willing to relocate.

RESUME
GEORGE W. BUSH
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington , DC 20520

EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:

Law Enforcement

I was arrested in Kennebunkport, Maine, in 1976 for driving under the influence of alcohol. I pled guilty, paid a fine, and had my driver's license suspended for 30 days. My Texas driving record has been "lost" and is not available.

Military
I joined the Texas Air National Guard and went AWOL. I refused to take a drug test or answer any questions about my drug use. By joining the Texas Air National Guard, I was able to avoid combat duty in Vietnam.

College
I graduated from Yale University with a low C average. I was a cheerleader.

PAST WORK EXPERIENCE

I ran for U.S. Congress and lost. I began my career in the oil business in Midland, Texas, in 1975. I bought an oil company, but couldn't find any oil in Texas. The company went bankrupt shortly after I sold all my stock. I bought the Texas Rangers baseball team in a sweetheart deal that took land using taxpayer money. With the help of my father and our friends in the oil industry (including Enron CEO Ken Lay), I was elected governor of Texas.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS GOVERNOR OF TEXAS

- I changed Texas pollution laws to favor power and oil companies, making Texas the most polluted state in the Union. During my tenure, Houston replaced Los Angeles as the most smog-ridden city in America.

- I cut taxes and bankrupted the Texas treasury to the tune of billions in borrowed money.

- I set the record for the most executions by any governor in American history.

- With the help of my brother, the governor of Florida, and my father's appointments to the Supreme Court, I became President after losing by over 500,000 votes.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS PRESIDENT

- I am the first President in U.S. history to enter office with a criminal record.

- I invaded and occupied two countries at a continuing cost of over one billion dollars per week.

- I spent the U.S. surplus and effectively bankrupted the U.S. Treasury.

- I shattered the record for the largest annual deficit in U.S. history.

- I set an economic record for most private bankruptcies filed in any 12-month period.

- I set the all-time record for most foreclosures in a 12-month period.

- I set the all-time record for the biggest drop in the history of the U.S. stock market. In my first year in office, over 2 million Americans lost their jobs and that trend continues every month.

- I'm proud that the members of my cabinet are the richest of any administration in U.S. history. My "poorest millionaire," Condoleeza Rice, has a Chevron oil tanker named after her.

- I set the record for most campaign fund-raising trips by a U.S. President.

- I am the all-time U.S. and world record-holder for receiving the most corporate campaign donations.

- My largest lifetime campaign contributor, and one of my best friends, Kenneth Lay, presided over the largest corporate bankruptcy fraud in U.S. History, Enron.
- My political party used Enron private jets and corporate attorneys to assure my success with the U.S. Supreme Court during my election decision.

- I have protected my friends at Enron and Halliburton against investigation or prosecution. More time and money was spent investigating the Monica Lewinsky affair than has been spent investigating one of the biggest corporate rip-offs in history. I presided over the biggest energy crisis in U.S. history and refused to intervene when corruption involving the oil industry was revealed.

- I presided over the highest gasoline prices in U.S. history.

- I changed the U.S. policy to allow convicted criminals to be awarded government contracts.

- I appointed more convicted criminals to administration than any President in U.S. history.

- I created the Department ("Ministry!") of Homeland Security, the largest bureaucracy in the history of the United States government.

- I've broken more international treaties than any President in U.S. history.

- I am the first President in U.S. history to have the United Nations remove the U.S. from the Human Rights Commission.

- I withdrew the U.S. from the World Court of Law.

- I refused to allow inspector's access to U.S. "prisoners of war" detainees and thereby have refused to abide by the Geneva Convention.

- I am the first President in history to refuse United Nations election inspectors (during the 2002 U.S. election).

- I set the record for fewest numbers of press conferences of any President since the advent of television.

- I set the all-time record for most days on vacation in any one-year period. After taking off the entire month of August, I presided over the worst security failure in U.S. history.

- I garnered the most sympathy ever for the U.S. after the World Trade Center attacks and less than a year later made the U.S. the most hated country in the world, the largest failure of diplomacy in world history.

- I have set the all-time record for most people worldwide to simultaneously protest me in public venues (15 million people), shattering the record for protests against any person in the history of mankind.

- I am the first President in U.S. history to order an unprovoked, pre-emptive attack and the military occupation of a sovereign nation. I did so against the will of the United Nations, the majority of U.S. citizens, and the world community.

- I have cut health care benefits for war veterans and support a cut in duty benefits for active duty troops and their families in wartime.

- In my State of the Union Address, I lied about our reasons for attacking Iraq and then blamed the lies on our British friends.

- I am the first President in history to have a majority of Europeans (71%) view my presidency as the biggest threat to world peace and security.

- I am supporting development of a nuclear "Tactical Bunker Buster," a WMD.

- I have so far failed to fulfill my pledge to bring Osama Bin Laden to justice.

RECORDS AND REFERENCES

-All records of my tenure as governor of Texas are now in my father's library, sealed and unavailable for public view.
- All records of SEC investigations into my insider trading and my bankrupt companies are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view.

- All records or minutes from meetings that I, or my Vice-President, attended regarding public energy policy are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public review.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
gone traveling

OK.. So what.. The american people elected him then re elected him. Resumes like his I guess mean very little.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Great, now I know better than to post this stuff. The first reply is from a nutball on my ignore list...

- George Orwell

Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Great, now I know better than to post this stuff. The first reply is from a nutball on my ignore list...

So tell me the reason you feel this way?

Nutball? lets see I make a comment on YOUR post and you waste time degrading what I respond to?

I do not quite follow here. You put a post of what the president has done through his years and I just made a statement that is well true. Hey I have stopped the political threads go and do a search, in fact I have been here on the forum doing nothing to annoy anyone. Ignore lists, man grow up.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's one hell of a resume but they forgot to mention his accomplishments as it pertains to the Hurricane Katrina. Let's see there was "Good Job Brownie" right after the poor response to the hurricane and then there is the continued government red tape that has resulted in the good people of Louisana and the Gulf States not getting the assistance that they need.

In Texas, we do not hold high expectations for the [governor's] office; it's mostly been occupied by crooks, dorks and the comatose. - the late Molly Ivins

GOD BLESS
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How can you dislike the guy? He's so sincere.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Since the true measure of a presidency is not determined until long after he is out of office - don't be surprised if GW goes down as a good one. Afterall, he was president during a very rare time in our history - being attacked on our own soil. And - if by chance - the muslim terrorist threat goes the way of the Nazi's - my guess is Bush will get his share of the credit. His poll ratings will mean nothing then.

I'm finding it interesting to compare the "legacy opportunity" for Clinton and Bush - and am thinking that the history books will much kinder to Bush. Just my gut feel.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #8

GOD BLESS
Old 01-25-2008, 09:24 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Since the true measure of a presidency is not determined until long after he is out of office - don't be surprised if GW goes down as a good one. Afterall, he was president during a very rare time in our history - being attacked on our own soil. And - if by chance - the muslim terrorist threat goes the way of the Nazi's - my guess is Bush will get his share of the credit. His poll ratings will mean nothing then.

I'm finding it interesting to compare the "legacy opportunity" for Clinton and Bush - and am thinking that the history books will much kinder to Bush. Just my gut feel.
I have a co-worker who contends the same thing and for the life of me I cannot fathom why. Not that Bill C. did anything particularly great (mostly succeeded in not screwing things up too spectacularly - about the bes twe can hope for these days), but I don't get why an idiotic military adventure in the last place in the middle east that was likely to become an Islamic Fundamentalist hotbed without our "expert" help is such a great accomplishment. The real trick will be extracting ourselves from this mess, which Dear Leader is leaving to the next administration.

- George Orwell

Old 01-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have a co-worker who contends the same thing and for the life of me I cannot fathom why. Not that Bill C. did anything particularly great (mostly succeeded in not screwing things up too spectacularly - about the bes twe can hope for these days), but I don't get why an idiotic military adventure in the last place in the middle east that was likely to become an Islamic Fundamentalist hotbed without our "expert" help is such a great accomplishment. The real trick will be extracting ourselves from this mess, which Dear Leader is leaving to the next administration.
To me it is all about leading a country during significant times. It is impossible to determine today - what the long term impact of Bush's actions will be. Simply because Bush made important decisions during important times gives him a chance at greatness.

It would not surprise me if Clinton was a little envious that he didn't have similar chances. I find it hard to believe that Clinton - or any president for that matter - would ever be satisified with the history's final judgement of them reading "his success was that he didn't screw up."
Old 01-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Churchill: "I say to the House as I said to ministers who have joined this government, I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many months of struggle and suffering."

FDR: "Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday and today speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation."

GWB: “Get on board. Do your business around the country. Fly and enjoy America's great destination spots. Get down to Disney World in Florida. Take your families and enjoy life, the way we want it to be enjoyed.”
Old 01-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Churchill: "I say to the House as I said to ministers who have joined this government, I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many months of struggle and suffering."

FDR: "Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday and today speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation."

GWB: “Get on board. Do your business around the country. Fly and enjoy America's great destination spots. Get down to Disney World in Florida. Take your families and enjoy life, the way we want it to be enjoyed.”

How can you list those and leave out this beauty:

WJC: "Now, I have to go back to work on my State of the Union speech. And I worked on it until pretty late last night. But I want to say one thing to the American people. I want you to listen to me. I'm going to say this again: I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky. I never told anybody to lie, not a single time; never. These allegations are false. And I need to go back to work for the American people. Thank you"

That is as inspiring today as it was back then - gives me goosebumps!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:26 AM   #13

We need more threads like these. Keep up the good work.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:28 AM   #14

Quote:
It would not surprise me if Clinton was a little envious that he didn't have similar chances.
Clinton had endless 'chances' to wage all-out war in Iraq. "Strangely" he seems to have decided it wasn't worth the human and economic cost.

Arguably the only things the Bush presidencies have "accomplished" are Iraq-War and "terrah"-related.. nothing particularly constructive that I can see (really restraining myself here..), tho' maybe you can enlighten me.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Arguably the only things the Bush presidencies have "accomplished" are Iraq-War and "terrah"-related.. nothing particularly constructive that I can see (really restraining myself here..), tho' maybe you can enlighten me.
Note that I wasn't lumping father and son presidencies together. They must be treated separately.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that it's really too early to come to any conclusions here. We can certainly state how we feel about the overall presidency - and we do - but at this point it is all conjecture. An example is Ronald Reagan - during his presidency he was lambasted as being a dummy who slept through meetings. Whether you like him or not, history sees it a little different and has been kind to him.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Note that I wasn't lumping father and son presidencies together. They must be treated separately.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that it's really too early to come to any conclusions here. We can certainly state how we feel about the overall presidency - and we do - but at this point it is all conjecture. An example is Ronald Reagan - during his presidency he was lambasted as being a dummy who slept through meetings. Whether you like him or not, history sees it a little different and has been kind to him.
Yes, history has been kind to Mr. Reagan but to this day there are still many in the U.S that have an extreme dislike for him. As for Old George W only time will tell and the original post of his resume will be part of his record and legacy.

LBJ is remembered by some for his mishandling of and the escalation of the Vietnam War and not as much for his work on civil rights. Unfortunately Old George W will probably be remembered in the same light as LBJ for his invasion of Iraq and his mishandling of the Iraq War. Old George W's biggest problem is that Osama Bin Laden is still running around free and has yet to be brought to justice.

GOD BLESS
Old 01-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #17

I was talking about G.W. .. I should have said 'terms', I guess. Reagan does indeed look better at a distance (and in contrast to G.W. it's not hard to look like a genius). But what, REALLY, is Reagan's legacy? Faith in trickle-down economics? I know some people think he brought down the Berlin Wall single-handedly.. but that was bound to happen nonetheless. Not sure how old you are, Arc.. but I remember the Reagan presidency as 1.) Iran-Contra (or how to flout the law with impunity, setting the stage for GWB/Cheney) 2.) wacko defense stuff like "Star Wars" /peace shield and a HUGE rise in militarism 3.) deficit spending as a religion.. and I mean religion.. and 4.) "let them eat cake" inanities like defining ketchup a vegetable.

Even Stockman the true believer exposed the 'trickle-down' b.s. for what it was.
Quote:
Stockman was quoted as referring to the Reagan Revolution's legacy tax act as: "I mean, Kemp-Roth [Reagan's 1981 tax cut] was always a Trojan horse to bring down the top rate.... It's kind of hard to sell 'trickle down.' So the supply-side formula was the only way to get a tax policy that was really 'trickle down.' Supply-side is 'trickle-down' theory." Of the budget process in his first year on the job, Mr. Stockman is quoted as saying: "None of us really understands what's going on with all these numbers..."
Quote:
The hogs were really feeding. The greed level, the level of opportunism, just got out of control. [The Administration's] basic strategy was to match or exceed the Democrats, and we did.
David Stockman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ooo lookee.. he's now facing 30 years for management/securities fraud!

The visceral appeal of Reagan seemed to be that he was the free-spending, large-living emotional antidote to Carter, and Carter's depressing message of: turn the heat down and put on a sweater. IIRC one of the first things Reagan did was tear the solar panels off the WH. (and probably turned up the heat to 75°!)

Booyah!
Yes, we certainly will remember those as golden years.. (snark).

John McCain, though, has the Republican answer for getting us out of our current financial troubles: JACK KEMP!!! PHIL GRAMM!!

koff koff koff koff koff

These folks eviscerated the economy once (fool me once; Reagan) -- they eviscerated the economy a second time (fool me twice; GWB) -- now they are hoping for round three!? Oy.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:15 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
How can you list those and leave out this beauty:

WJC: "Now, I have to go back to work on my State of the Union speech. And I worked on it until pretty late last night. But I want to say one thing to the American people. I want you to listen to me. I'm going to say this again: I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky. I never told anybody to lie, not a single time; never. These allegations are false. And I need to go back to work for the American people. Thank you"

That is as inspiring today as it was back then - gives me goosebumps!
When will you people ever learn that even if Clinton was the Devil incarnate, that does not excuse GWB's actions over the last seven years? If you want to defend the Shrub's actions and character, go ahead, but comparing them to Clinton is no way to go about it. Just as it would be wrong to say Clinton must have been a good president just because he is not Bush. It is quite possible that one can dislike both of them.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #19

Gumby.. you couldn't be more correct. Unfortunately that's what happens to people who don't have any positive arguments to make for their side, and they kinda know it.

Just checking in to say "oops! Scratch McCain!" Michelle Malkin has Just Now Revealed what we've ALL been suspecting... that McCain is being funded by GEORGE SOROS!!

What's a Republican to do?
Old 01-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Darn. I thought by the title of the thread, you were going to tell us that you are now less that a year away from retirement. Thought you might have received one of those Goldman Sachs bonuses.