Lessons from a Month in Sweden

At the library, one used a credit card to enter the bathroom. So, every time I used it, I got a 57 cent charge on my Mastercard, and a 1 cent foreign transaction fee.

E9EfBF2.jpg

You could also use a 5 kronor coin. The exchange rate is 10 kronor = $1, but the coin looks like a nickel, and it takes a while to get your head around the play money.

I told Lena, "At least it only costs half a cent to use the bathroom."

She replied, "No, it's 50 cents!"

Yeah well Sweden may have all of those beautiful thin girls but here in the good ole U S of A we have:

honey-boo-boo.gif

Hmmm, I think it would be more revealing if the older than 60 demographic were included in the study, just sayin...

At the library, one used a credit card to enter the bathroom. So, every time I used it, I got a 57 cent charge on my Mastercard, and a 1 cent foreign transaction fee.

E9EfBF2.jpg

You could also use a 5 kronor coin. The exchange rate is 10 kronor = $1, but the coin looks like a nickel, and it takes a while to get your head around the play money.

I told Lena, "At least it only costs half a cent to use the bathroom."

She replied, "No, it's 50 cents!"

So, Did you take extra T.P. to get your money's worth ? , or is there an extra charge for T.P. ? :LOL:

I live on an urban but fairly high SES street. For every 100 lean men or women who walk by, there are maybe 3 somewhat overweight people, and no obese people.

Now farther down the hill in core downtown, especially the bus route on 3rd Ave, you find plenty of both. I think Americans, especially women, usually would like to be lean, but we are fed mostly bs about how to achieve this. So our young ladies are slim, but many gain weight over the years.

It's awful how much pain people experience over something that is fairly straightforward to remedy. Straightforward, but rarely easy.

Ha

Last edited:
Anecdote Re: diet, longevity, and obesity - our neighbors father will be 90 in May (if he makes it), lives alone, and will eat only Oreos - about one pack a day. There is always someone looking in on him, but he shouldn't be alone. He is not diabetic and he's not overweight, but he is really cantankerous! His DD and SIL noticed the other day that he was down to 9 packages of Oreos in the cupboard so they were off to see if they could find some on sale.

The above photo reminds me of the Swedish movie "Let the Right One In", although it could have been filmed in any colder country or city. Of course the thread title gave me that thought. I happened to watch this movie on DVD, and just looked it up on the Web to learn that it was highly acclaimed and won numerous international awards.

Last edited:
After being away for a long time this thread is very timely. Our family WoScrapr, Scrapr & son of Scrapr (21 y/o) are going to Sweden next month.

After 12 years & 300k miles it's time for a new Volvo! Volvo has a program called Overseas Delivery. You buy the car at slightly below list. Then Volvo pays for 2 tickets RT and 1 night in a hotel. We will fly into Stockholm. Stay there for a couple days then train over to Gothenburg to pick up the Volvo.

Really looking forward to Sweden. Kinda worried about restrooms. Got Dx with Crohn's about 5 years ago. I'm pretty stable right now. But got to take my medicine every day. I'll likely put an app on my phone for locating restrooms

Al on your next trip there try YakTrax. Same hassle with on/off. But i don't think they would get clogged with snow. https://www.yaktrax.com/product/walk

Bend had 2 months of snow & ice. These came in very handy

Last edited:
Al on your next trip there try YakTrax. Same hassle with on/off. But i don't think they would get clogged with snow. https://www.yaktrax.com/product/walk

+1 on the yaktrax. Much better than studs in every condition except shear ice, imo. Then studs or ice skates are better. They hold their elasticity until about -20F. Then they just slip off your boot, most annoying.

+1 on the yaktrax. Much better than studs in every condition except shear ice, imo. Then studs or ice skates are better. They hold their elasticity until about -20F. Then they just slip off your boot, most annoying.

Have you tried Yac Trax Pro? An extra strap across the top of the foot. I think that's what the extra ten bucks is meant to solve.

Volvo has a program called Overseas Delivery. You buy the car at slightly below list. Then Volvo pays for 2 tickets RT and 1 night in a hotel. We will fly into Stockholm. Stay there for a couple days then train over to Gothenburg to pick up the Volvo.

This is something I would be interested in. Expect to get a new car next year and the XC60 is on my short list so far. Please let us know how your experience was after you get back from this trip.

Have you tried Yac Trax Pro? An extra strap across the top of the foot. I think that's what the extra ten bucks is meant to solve.
YakTrax are OK for occasional use, but I find the Microspikes to have more traction, stay on better and last much, much longer. Ebay sells knockoffs for $10, but only for small feet.

Post #24 is apt to trigger some vacations to Sweden by our single male forum members:cool:

This is something I would be interested in. Expect to get a new car next year and the XC60 is on my short list so far. Please let us know how your experience was after you get back from this trip.

Will do. There is a board dedicated to OSD on Sweedespeed. Helped me a lot. After being in a SUV for 12 years I'm going smaller with a wagon. The V60 AWD. I really liked the seats in my V70 so ordered Sport seats in the wagon. Hope they live up to my past memories

The above photo reminds me of the Swedish movie "Let the Right One In", although it could have been filmed in any colder country or city. Of course the thread title gave me that thought. I happened to watch this movie on DVD, and just looked it up on the Web to learn that it was highly acclaimed and won numerous international awards.

Lena's cousin recommended that movie, and I've actually watched it twice as part of my Swedish practice.

I don't get why people like it so much.

After being away for a long time this thread is very timely. Our family WoScrapr, Scrapr & son of Scrapr (21 y/o) are going to Sweden next month.

After 12 years & 300k miles it's time for a new Volvo! Volvo has a program called Overseas Delivery. You buy the car at slightly below list. Then Volvo pays for 2 tickets RT and 1 night in a hotel. We will fly into Stockholm. Stay there for a couple days then train over to Gothenburg to pick up the Volvo.

Really looking forward to Sweden. Kinda worried about restrooms. Got Dx with Crohn's about 5 years ago. I'm pretty stable right now. But got to take my medicine every day. I'll likely put an app on my phone for locating restrooms

Restrooms aren't any harder to find in Sweden than elsewhere. I follow the Vacation Restroom Rule: If you see a restroom, use it.

I have an app on my iPhone called Toilet Finder. It seems to work all over the world and has been helpful on several trips.

I have an app on my iPhone called Toilet Finder. It seems to work all over the world and has been helpful on several trips.

McDonalds (Fast Food outlets) are everywhere. I'll be good. Just remember to bring my credit card!

I'll look at that app too

Restrooms aren't any harder to find in Sweden than elsewhere. I follow the Vacation Restroom Rule: If you see a restroom, use it.

That was my mother's rule. If you see a restroom, go! You might not have another chance for a looong time.

I have a friend who periodically travels to Ukraine to distribute bibles. He tells me that it is necessary to bring your own toilet paper when traveling there.

I have a friend who periodically travels to Ukraine to distribute bibles. He tells me that it is necessary to bring your own toilet paper when traveling there.

Cool! Another use for recycled dryer sheets.

Back
Top Bottom