Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Let's create a "lesson plan"
Old 02-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Originally Posted by Nords
.....So when you find yourself asking that perpetual parent's question: "What were you thinking?!?" the answer really is "We weren't.".....
ROFLMAO, thanks Nords.

So when does it change? DD is 24, married to a useless SOB, and still "not thinking". I thought chicks were supposed to mature faster thans us "male chauvinist pigs"?

"Iron" Mike - Semper Fi
Jack of all trades; Master of none.
LeatherneckPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the other hand, there are the brain studies that show that in later life, we still "think" with our emotions to a far greater degree than we'd like to believe.

Ok, so we're biologically wired to not think until we're 24, then emotionally wired to not think thereafter.

That explains a lot.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lotsa great suggestions so far. I had been mulling this around recently, and came up with a few 'guiding principles' - if you learn these and learn how to apply them to a situation, I think it may be more valuable than specific do/don'ts:

1) No Free Lunch - if you can get people to understand this, they will know better than to get involved in email scams, 'hot' stock tips, and more stuff than you could list. Give examples as to why no one is going to give something away below face value.

2) Prioritize Issues - Working on small things, even though you see benefit, may actually put you behind. That same effort may have earned you much more if you worked on the important stuff.

3) Consequence of Decisions or the Law of Unintended Consequences - An example might be the environmental group that is fighting a wind farm as they are afraid it might kill a few birds. OK, but, if they 'win', it might mean that another coal plant gets built - is that what they intended?

4) Understand Cause/Effect and a bit of statistical significance - People are so often worried about the wrong things, or don't understand the cause/effect relationship. Media tends to make a big splash about things when the data is often irrelevant.

Here's another example that ties together 2,3 & 4 - I recently heard on a Science Friday podcast, some relief workers in Africa pointed out that the good intentions of the Gates Foundation in fighting AIDS in Africa may be doing more harm than good. The problem was, that money went to buy expensive drugs, but many more people were dying from poor sanitation. That same money, used to improve sanitation, could help more people and save more lives. Some of the AIDS victims didn't have safe drinking water to take their pills with. The attention to AIDS was, in some ways, distracting form other, potentially bigger needs.

I plan on putting this into some bite size pieces and getting the points across to my kids from time to time. I figured the general ideas would do them more good that 'do this', don't do that'.

ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote