Join Early Retirement Today

Let's pick on the Ladies today
Old 09-30-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let's pick on the Ladies today

As a youth, I noticed that my mother sort of babbled to herself at times. The DW started this a few years back. I would sort of catch her talking to herself when alone. Or I'd hear her talking in the kitchen and then go in there to find out if she was talking to me--and then find out she wasn't.

So, have you other menfolk noticed the same thing in your DWs? Or is it just a connundrum that I need to puzzle thru on my own? Is it a 'nature-nurture problem? Have the men on my side of the family caused untold psychological problems to the women we marry? Or is it just a genetic problem with women? Should DanTein turn this into a poll?

--Greg

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Let's pick on the Ladies today
Old 09-30-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Great Caesar's ghost, man, how long have you been married?!?

Didn't you just get out of restriction a few days ago? Do you have a death wish?!?

No babbling women in my family. I haven't caused any to babble uncontrollably when they're by themselves, either. I've made one or two babble uncontrollably in my company but that's another story.

Good luck with this thread, you'll probably have plenty of "alone time" to puzzle through it. Hope you get to keep your laptop, even if you're never allowed to log in here again...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
As a youth, I noticed that my mother sort of babbled to herself at times. The DW started this a few years back. I would sort of catch her talking to herself when alone. Or I'd hear her talking in the kitchen and then go in there to find out if she was talking to me--and then find out she wasn't.
She just wanted to have an intelligent conversation for a change...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:55 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

No question, Greg just wanted to prove how ballsy he is. Sorta like running in front of the bulls at Pamplona, climbing K-2, eating the hottest chile pepper there is.
He proved it to me.
Uncledrz
Old 09-30-2005, 09:57 AM   #5

What often bothers me is when my g/f tries to talk to me from three rooms away. *Apparently, she expects me to stop what I'm doing, get up, walk into the room where she's standing, and let her ask me whatever question it was that she had been asking. :

My response? *I shout back that I can't hear the question, and that she should come to me if she wants to ask me something. *Sometimes I just respond with the first part.

As for Apocalypse's original point, I usually ignore whatever she's saying unless I know it's directed at me. *Otherwise, I'd be expected to get up twice as often.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:15 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

So, have you other menfolk noticed the same thing in your DWs? Or is it just a connundrum that I need to puzzle thru on my own? Is it a 'nature-nurture problem? Have the men on my side of the family caused untold psychological problems to the women we marry? Or is it just a genetic problem with women? Should DanTein turn this into a poll?
I see what you're doing with this post, Greg. Absent from the board for a while then a grandiose entrance to make a big splash.

You should change your forum name to "Kramer". Ooops. It appears the name has already been taken.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:23 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's my husband who babbles.. at the computer (particularly to the mouse which seems to have a will of its own) or something in the newspaper.* 'nuf said.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:57 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

She's probably talking to you. You're just not paying attention. Don't worry....it's a gender thing.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Should DanTein turn this into a poll?
--Greg
Just when I thought I had nothing to say today. Thank you Greg!
My wife is the best...I love everything about her...She can do no wrong...I'm so lucky to be with her. However there is just one small imperfection that I feel I can share with you and you won't mention it. I'm typically a Yes or No man. DW asks OR questions. I'll hear the first part and signify Y or N whilst the tag is being issued.
This leads to much amusement on her part. Typical Q - Honey, do you want to be intimate tonight or tomorrow morning? DH-Yes. DW-Well which is it? DH-Yes DW - :
How about a poll on when is the best time?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:42 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
How about a poll on when is the best time?
What purpose would that serve?!?

Have you ever heard someone with a Y chromosone say on that subject: "Sorry, honey, now's not the best time..."

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:44 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the reason is probably just 'momentum'. I was going to post that until I realized it can't be done anonymously. Oh well..
Old 09-30-2005, 12:54 PM   #12

Why do us women babble think out loud? The same reason why *older men* wear their pants so high
Old 09-30-2005, 01:04 PM   #13

It used to be easy to spot crazy people babbling to themselves. But now I find that most of them are talking on their cell phones via a jabra mic, so I have to rely on other signals. For example, if they're waving a chainsaw around, that's a pretty good indication that you should walk on the other side of the street.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:43 PM   #14

Sometimes we talking to the cat, not ourselves....
Old 09-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #15

I'm back, had to go to class (How to Speak in Complete Sentences)
As I was saying,
I'm typically a Yes or No man. DW asks OR questions. I'll hear the first part and signify Y or N whilst the tag is being issued.
This leads to much amusement on her part. Typical Q - Honey, do you want to be intimate tonight or tomorrow morning? DH-Yes. DW-Well which is it? DH-Yes DW - : Honey are you saying tonight and tomorrow morning? DH- Yes. DW-
Old 09-30-2005, 02:03 PM   #16

Quote:
...talk to me from three rooms away...My response? I shout back that I can't hear the question
No, no, no. The key here is pretend that you didn't hear her at all. If it's important she'll come to you. You'll have her trained in about a week. (If my wife sees this post, I'm sunk.)
Old 09-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
No, no, no.* The key here is pretend that you didn't hear her at all.* If it's important she'll come to you.* You'll have her trained in about a week.* (If my wife sees this post, I'm sunk.)
Perhaps you and Greg can swap escape strategies while in solitary....
Old 09-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
No, no, no.* The key here is pretend that you didn't hear her at all.* If it's important she'll come to you.* You'll have her trained in about a week.* (If my wife sees this post, I'm sunk.)
I've tried that, but the results have been bad. Invariably, she claims that she asked me a question, I never responded, and now have to live with the consequences. Put another way, she usually says "you didn't tell me NOT to do it..."
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
I've tried that, but the results have been bad.* Invariably, she claims that she asked me a question, I never responded, and now have to live with the consequences.* Put another way, she usually says "you didn't tell me NOT to do it..."
What usually happens to me is she says ".. you just don't listen to me" My lame response is that maybe you should not try to talk to me when I am on a whole different floor of the house and with the knowledge that I am half deaf.

That response just got me this. :

"Women...............can't live with them..................can't kill them." (quote from a previous boss).
Old 09-30-2005, 05:01 PM   #20

Greg,
Reading your other posts convinced me you were brilliant.

Now, I need more evidence.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote