Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Let's Pick on the Men Today!
Old 10-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

let's think about this toilet seat thing. Women need it down 100% of the time. Men need up up, say 80% of the time.

Is it not simply sexist to think that it is men's job to be "toilet seat valets" for women and that somehow if a woman is not looking where she parks her bum, this is a man's fault?

The most efficient approach, from an engineering perspective, is for the person about to use the appliance to arrange it in the state that they wish, and then leave it there when they are done. This minimizes the number of "fruitless round trips" (a man puts the lid up, pees, then puts it down again. next man has to lift it up again, then put it down. goes along with beer-drinking... ). Otherwise, the only person that ever has to fuss with it is a man. It is their solemn duty to arrange the seat for the convenience of women, so women don't have to get their hands yucky or look before they sit down. This almost feels like an original sin issue. Is this fair Makes about as much sense as providing 50% urinals in the women's rest room.

Fortunately, my SO is not helpless and gladly lifts the seat herself before sitting in porcelain.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2005, 02:10 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I make it a rule to do what I can to curry favor with women. My personality is cross enough for them to bear; I have no problem with accepting their definition of toilet etiquette.

OTOH, if my need for women ever decreases significantly, they will be on their own when it comes to porcelain problems.

Ha

Old 10-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #23

cheap attempt coming to hijack the thread:

"We always hear "the rules" from the feminine side. OK - we are now going to hear the rules from the man's side. Please note ...these are all numbered "1" ON PURPOSE.

1. Learn to work the toilet seat. You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down.
1. Sometimes, we are not thinking about you. Live with it.
1. Shopping is NOT a sport, and no, we are never going to think of it that way.
1. When we have to go somewhere, absolutely anything you wear is fine... Really.
1. Crying is blackmail.
1. Ask for what you want. Let us be clear on this one: Subtle hints do not work. Strong hints do not work. Obvious hints do not work. Just say it!
1. We don't remember dates. Mark birthdays and anniversaries on a calendar. Remind us frequently beforehand.
1. Yes and No are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every question.
1. Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it. That's what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.
1. A headache that lasts for 17 months is a problem. See a doctor.
1. Check your oil! Please.
1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument. In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 days.
1. If you won't dress like the Victoria's Secret girls, don't expect us to act like soap opera guys.
1. If something we said can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one.
1. Let us ogle. We are going to look anyway; it's genetic.
1. You can either ask us to do something or tell us how you want it done, not both. If you already know best how to do it, just do it yourself.
1. The relationship is never going to be like it was the first two months we were going out. Get over it.
1. ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not a color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.
1. If it itches, we scratch it. We do that.
1. We are not mind readers and we never will be. Our lack of mind-reading ability is not proof of how little we care about you.
1. If we ask what is wrong and you say "nothing," We will act like nothing's wrong. We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the hassle.
1. I'm in shape. - ROUND is a shape"

Old 10-02-2005, 12:00 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Usually a fight about the toilet seat has nothing to do whatsoever with the toilet seat.

However, let me point out that one can easily check to see if the seat is up.

I will publicly in this forum praise my wife for always remembering to put it up when she's done.

Probably because I have the same malfunction that tbone al has...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Women who play with their hair are hot.
Mikey, I think they were referring to the hair on their...

Never mind.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I live alone so seat position is not a problem. Anytime I visit friends or relatives, it's no big deal to pay attention to the seat position when I enter the WC and if I change it, return it to it's original position.

Anyway, people shouldn't assume that the seat is where it needs to be. When I walk on a ped crosswalk with a stop sign, I stop and look to make sure that some idiot driver doesn't runs me over because (s)he didn't notice the stop sign. Most people have more faith in other people than I do. I ride my bicycle the same way.

MJ
Old 10-04-2005, 12:29 PM   #27

I once sat down on the toilet when the bathroom was pretty dark, and the seat was up. It wasn't a pleasant experience, and for a week after that I was really good about putting down the seat.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:39 PM   #28

Before I married my husband he usually would rent out a room to a friend to help make ends meet. His one question to them was " do you leave the seat up or down?". If the answer was leave it up he crossed you off the list. He feels it's good manners to put the seat down as well as the cover, where he learned this I'll never know but I'm not going to fight it LOL

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I once sat down on the toilet when the bathroom was pretty dark, and the seat was up.* *It wasn't a pleasant experience, and for a week after that I was really good about putting down the seat.
Well I'm glad one of guys admits to "falling in". Falling in is a traumatic experience. It reminds me of my phobia of tub drains as a kid. I was convinced that I would be sucked down the drain.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #30

I guess we could all do like Jack Nicholson did in "About Schmidt". Of course, he did get even after his movie wife died...

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:56 PM   #31

I don't understand all this fuss about toilet seats. Me thinks it's all a tempest in a D-cup.

--Greg
Old 10-07-2005, 12:58 PM   #32

DW constantly worries about sitting right on the porcelain at night when it is dark. Is it not a normal step in the bathroom visit to check the status of the toilet seat before using the toilet? Guys have to before every visit. I don't understand the issue with the toilet seat from a woman's perspective. But that can be added to the long list of other things about females I will never fully grasp.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:04 PM   #33

Does anyone have his and hers toilets or a toilet and a urinal in their abode?

Back in the roaring 90s I remember reading that putting a urinal in the master bath was the in thing for those with too much money...
Old 10-07-2005, 01:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Does anyone have his and hers toilets or a toilet and a urinal in their abode?
All the toilets are hers. :
Old 10-07-2005, 04:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
DW constantly worries about sitting right on the porcelain at night when it is dark.* Is it not a normal step in the bathroom visit to check the status of the toilet seat before using the toilet?*
Well, at night we don't turn the light on in the bathroom which is just across the bedroom to avoid waking the other person. It is really dark in that downstairs bathroom because there are no windows there. I suppose we could turn on a night light but it's hard to sleep with even a little bit of light, and closing doors adds to noise when moving from one room to another.

Checking the toilet seat with one's hands is not a habit I want to start.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:18 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

As per the posts reflecting on why women do not automatically check the status of the toilet seat ... Perhaps when they approach the fixture they do not stand in front of it before remembering what to do next. I surmise that they are into a 180 degree turn during the final approach step.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Rancher
As per the posts reflecting on why women do not automatically check the status of the toilet seat ... Perhaps when they approach the fixture they do not stand in front of it before remembering what to do next. I surmise that they are into a 180 degree turn during the final approach step.
I like that in a comment. Someone who can insult everybody with specific comments regarding their most valued attributes.

--Greg
Old 10-07-2005, 05:24 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Rancher
That's right, we back into the toilet, not stand in front of it

I can't believe we're still discussing toilet seats.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:35 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
I can't believe we're still discussing toilet seats.
Yep. You certainly get a lot for your entertainment dollar on this forum...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:30 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress
Well, at night we don't turn the light on in the bathroom which is just across the bedroom to avoid waking the other person. It is really dark in that downstairs bathroom because there are no windows there. I suppose we could turn on a night light but it's hard to sleep with even a little bit of light, and closing doors adds to noise when moving from one room to another.
I got these little flat square plug in lights, green (although I've seen blue ones). I think they consume a few watts of electricity in use per year, and throw a nice very pale blue or green light. Just enough to see by, but nowhere near enough to penetrate an eyelid. I have about ten of them sprinkled around the house...bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, hallway. Plenty of glow to see your way around in. Highly recommended.

Looks like this. The green ones have square instead of rounded lighting areas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indiglo.jpg (6.2 KB, 54 views)

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote