Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Letterman's Last Show
Old 05-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Letterman's Last Show

Goodbye Dave.

I enjoyed the last show. It wasn't too much on the sentiment but more of humor and appreciation. I liked the peek at him preparing for a show .. which we usually don't see.

But there's no messing around as the set gets torn down hours after the goodbye

Quote:
That didn’t take long.

Only hours after David Letterman bid farewell to “Late Show,” a demolition crew began dissembling the show’s iconic set Thursday morning at the Ed Sullivan Theater.

A team of workers lugged out pieces of the city skyline that rose behind Letterman’s desk since the CBS show’s debut in August 1993.

Several of the blue-shirted men squad carried pieces of the Brooklyn Bridge replica that provided a backdrop for thousands of Letterman interviews across 22 years at his Midtown home.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2230794
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I have watched Dave ,on and off, ever since he had a daytime show and I had a VCR! His act has declined quite a bit over the last few years so I have not watched much recently. I DVRd last night's show (even allowed for extra time) and was disappointed that he made no mention of Chris Elliot and his "Guy Under the Seats" bit. That was a big part of his earlier shows.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

The last show was his best in years to me. I was a big Letterman fan for many years, but he's been phoning it in for a while. But he was a groundbreaking, innovative late night host who changed the late night landscape IMO. For that he should be remembered...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It was quite a week for the departure of two of many people's favorites: first Mad Men, now Letterman. Both classics, but at least they were "here" for a while.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Didn't see his last show - or any of them in the past couple of decades. I think Cher nailed it back in 1986 when she called him an a-hole.

This article (David Letterman made the world a meaner place) does a good job of describing the many reasons I'm not a Letterman fan, including this:

Quote:
Apart from the usual topical jokes that are the currency of late-night talk-show monologues, much of Letterman’s comedy is about condescension.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
It was quite a week for the departure of two of many people's favorites: first Mad Men, now Letterman. Both classics, but at least they were "here" for a while.
I felt a sweet sadness at both of these ending--sad because of something ending, but sweetness from having "known" something for so long and seeing it through to the end. The Top Ten presenters also made me feel this same sense--it is really something special to me to have enjoyed them for so much of my adult life and seen their careers develop.

Quote:
I DVRd last night's show (even allowed for extra time) and was disappointed that he made no mention of Chris Elliot and his "Guy Under the Seats" bit. That was a big part of his earlier shows.
I love Chris Elliott and was happy to see him as a guest in a long segment on an earlier Letterman farewell show a couple of months ago. I think it's on youtube.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have not watched Letterman in many years... maybe 2 decades...

But, I decided to record his last show and see what it was like.... sad to say that it ran long and I missed the end....

He had a long run, but I never thought he was one of the best... Johnny was much better... Jay Leno was better also, but I do not think as good as Johnny...

Nope, late night talk show just does not do it for me anymore....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm more in the Leno camp, but I enjoyed watching Letterman's final show. Not only it being part of history, but Dave was just being goofy Dave which is funny. I do wish both of them had went on each other's shows before they left.

I think Fallon is funny and amazing talent. I'm surprised he doesn't hurt himself the way he performs. Especially in a suit and tie. I really don't watch Kimmel, and haven't watch Colbert in the past.

One thing I will miss of Dave and Jay is that they weren't afraid to press politicians to serious topics. Fallon doesn't do that on his show as his Tonight Show seems more an entertainment show then serious talk (which, I guess perhaps could be good). But I liked how both Dave and Jay mixed serious with humor.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:21 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
But, I decided to record his last show and see what it was like.... sad to say that it ran long and I missed the end....
Same thing happened to me. You can catch what you missed at cbs.com. He gives a nice extended thanks to the people who worked with/for him, the Foo Fighters does a song while they flash stills from the many guests they've had on. That part was really neat.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:46 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I attended several tapings of Letterman back in the early 1980s when he was still with NBC. Letterman was much better back then. It was fascinating to see everything that went on during the commercial breaks.

Once I began working full-time after college, I could no longer stay up after midnight other than on Friday nights, so I saw little of Letterman until he moved to 11:30 with CBS. But his show was quickly going downhill and I had not yet warmed to Leno yet (that would not happen until the early 2000s). Even with Leno and Fallon, I wouldn't watch either one of them beyond the first 30 minutes (monologue and behind-the-desk segment) unless they had a guest I really wanted to see. Letterman's monologue I no longer found funny and his Top Ten lists were becoming boring.

The last really funny thing I saw on Letterman was Drew Barrymore dancing on his desk circa 1995 then lifting her shirt and flashing him (as a birthday present).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:02 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have not watched Letterman in many years... maybe 2 decades...

He had a long run, but I never thought he was one of the best... Johnny was much better... Jay Leno was better also, but I do not think as good as Johnny...

Nope, late night talk show just does not do it for me anymore....
+1
To me, Carson was the best. Maybe it was because I started watching in my formative years.

A few months ago, I watched a PBS documentary on Carson on Netflix. It was interesting and well done.
Likes_to_Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Letterman's Last Show
Old 05-22-2015, 09:13 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Letterman's Last Show

The title of this thread is "Letterman's Last Show" and I see my reply ignored that.

I enjoyed the last show a lot and think he earned it. I've really enjoyed the weeks heading up to it with a great lineup of guests. On the music side, they were all excellent in my opinion and Bob Dylan was a very good choice near the end. The one I missed and would have liked to have seen was Emmylou Harris with Rodney Crowell and others (it was on the DVR but auto-erased for space before I could watch, but that's where YouTube steps in).

Also, The CBS Orchestra was packed with fantastic, versatile musicians. I'll miss hearing that theme for sure.

Off topic a bit: Letterman's show was the first time I ever heard Lake Street Dive, and have been a huge fan ever since. After their tune, Dave said, "Wow! Can you come back? Every night?" and Paul Shaffer added, "This is how it's done!".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Letterman's Last Show
Old 05-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Letterman's Last Show

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywo...-indiana-soul/

Above article reflects my feelings exactly. Letterman went from irreverent, groundbreaking and funny, to bitter, condescending and mean spirited in his last 20 years.

But I'll miss Paul Schaffer.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
The title of this thread is "Letterman's Last Show" and I see my reply ignored that.

I enjoyed the last show a lot and think he earned it. I've really enjoyed the weeks heading up to it with a great lineup of guests. On the music side, they were all excellent in my opinion and Bob Dylan was a very good choice near the end. The one I missed and would have liked to have seen was Emmylou Harris with Rodney Crowell and others (it was on the DVR but auto-erased for space before I could watch, but that's where YouTube steps in).

Also, The CBS Orchestra was packed with fantastic, versatile musicians. I'll miss hearing that theme for sure.

Off topic a bit: Letterman's show was the first time I ever heard Lake Street Dive, and have been a huge fan ever since. After their tune, Dave said, "Wow! Can you come back? Every night?" and Paul Shaffer added, "This is how it's done!".
It was ignored by me since I never watched Mad Men and I only watched the last show....

Also, it was kinda a stmt that stood on its own....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Here's the Official List of Best Late Night Talk Show Hosts ever:
  1. Johnny Carson
  2. David Letterman
  3. Jimmy Fallon
  4. Jon Stewart
  5. Craig Ferguson
  6. Jimmy Kimmel
  7. Jay Leno
  8. Stephen Colbert
  9. Bill Maher
  10. Conan O'Brien

Arsenio Hall, Chelsea Handler, Seth Meyers, Joan Rivers, Tom Snyder, Jack Paar, Steve Allen, Dennis Miller, Larry Wilmore, George Lopez, Andy Cohen, Carson Daly, John Oliver, etc.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Didn't see his last show - or any of them in the past couple of decades. I think Cher nailed it back in 1986 when she called him an a-hole.

This article (David Letterman made the world a meaner place) does a good job of describing the many reasons I'm not a Letterman fan, including this:
+1
Old 06-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

I think Fallon is funny and amazing talent. I'm surprised he doesn't hurt himself the way he performs....
Usually, I don't go quoting myself but oh no, Fallon hurt his hand and needed emergency surgery. Sounds pretty serious and hope he makes a quick recovery.

Quote:
Jimmy Fallon is in the hospital after needing emergency surgery.

In a statement, a rep says, “Jimmy Fallon was required to have minor surgery after injuring his hand at his Manhattan apartment this morning. He is expected to make a full recovery.” Fallon was previously reported to be in the ICU, which is likely where he was after the operation.
Jimmy Fallon HOSPITALIZED, HAND SURGERY | Gossip Cop
Old 06-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Also, The CBS Orchestra was packed with fantastic, versatile musicians. I'll
miss hearing that theme for sure.
I much preferred the name that was used when the show was on NBC. "World's Most Dangerous Band" had a much more edgy name than "CBS Orchestra ". I assume that NBC owned that name and would not let DL use it @ CBS.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Usually, I don't go quoting myself but oh no, Fallon hurt his hand and needed emergency surgery. Sounds pretty serious and hope he makes a quick recovery.

Jimmy Fallon HOSPITALIZED, HAND SURGERY | Gossip Cop
I wonder if that bit about the ICU is real or just part of the gossip? When I heard "surgery" I was thinking he was playing with the kids and maybe tripped over the dog, or just doing some otherwise mundane household chore and popped a tendon in a sort of mildly freak event. Who goes into the ICU for a minor hand operation unless something went wrong?
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Apparently he caught his wedding band on the edge of a table at his home and nearly cut his finger off.

Jimmy Fallon -- I Nearly Ripped Off My Finger (PHOTO) | TMZ.com
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote