Join Early Retirement Today

LG Dishwasher reviews?
Old 09-16-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

LG Dishwasher reviews?

DH and I are shopping for new range and dishwasher....and possibly a refrigerator. Local Sam's Club has what looks to be a great deal on LG make of all three....price includes installation and hauling away the old appliances.

I can easily find good reviews for LG ranges and refrigerators. Reviews I have found on the LG dishwashers are overwhelmingly negative.

We can go with LG range and fridge and another brand of dishwasher. However, if I can find reliable folks who are happy with their LG dishwasher, it would be easier to totally go the Sam's Club route.

Many of you seem reliable. If you have experience with LG appliances, please let me know.

Thanks.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2017, 11:39 PM   #2

I have an LG dishwasher-model LDF8874ST. Purchased 18 months ago as a package of LG appliances for a new house. My choice, based on very favorable prior experience with LG.

I have found all of them to be reliable and a do an excellent job, especially pleased with the fridge and laundry equipment. No service calls in 18 months

As to the dishwasher, it gets the job done for the three of us. My usual cycle of Automatic, high temp rinse and heated dry takes 3.5 hours. It runs overnight, so not a concern for me. Have used the quick wash cycle on occasion. Gets the dishes clean, but can't use the heated dry with that, so there is some extra time needed to air dry or towel off some of the plastics.

I like the flexibility of the various racks and trays. This one has three racks, with the 3rd one at the very top, useful only for low profile items like small bowls, container lids and silverware. Middle rack is height adjustable and the flexibility of the racks allows me to get everything in, even if it takes some fiddling.

A rinse aid (I use Jet Dry) is essential. Dishes get clean, plates and utensils are dry in the morning, but plastic containers and lids always have some residual water and are shaken off and put back in the rack to air dry for a few hours. This was also true with the Whirlpool/Kenmore I had before. Think this a feature of "energy efficient" dishwashers

Overall, very happy with the LG and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:11 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have a Bosch dishwasher in our home and our condo. Very quiet and reliable. Haven't needed any repairs. Highly recommend.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:15 AM   #4

We have now and have had several LG appliances over the years. Unfortunately, I've never had an LG dishwasher. My top criteria for a dishwasher is how quiet it is and that drove me to a Bosch. Unless you're isolated from your kitchen, which is uncommon in today's houses, I think you'll find a quiet dishwasher to be important. Seriously, except for a few times during the cycle (like when it dumps water), I can't even hear the Bosch. It's that quiet. All dishwashers have a noise rating. Make sure to check that out.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:19 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

I had a LG refrigerator that was a dud . It was highly rated by consumer reports . It totally died at 3 1/2 years .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
DH and I are shopping for new range and dishwasher....and possibly a refrigerator. Local Sam's Club has what looks to be a great deal on LG make of all three....price includes installation and hauling away the old appliances.

I can easily find good reviews for LG ranges and refrigerators. Reviews I have found on the LG dishwashers are overwhelmingly negative.

We can go with LG range and fridge and another brand of dishwasher. However, if I can find reliable folks who are happy with their LG dishwasher, it would be easier to totally go the Sam's Club route.

Many of you seem reliable. If you have experience with LG appliances, please let me know.

Thanks.
If Sam's has a good return policy I'd go ahead with it--the appliances will probably be fine but if Sam's can exchange a problem appliance, why not try it.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We have an LG refrigerator for over a year, it was in here when we bought the place. At most it's 5 years old. Works great. We just put in a gas LG range and it's awesome.

The prior owners has a Bosch dishwasher and it's great too. Like others suggested it's about noise.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
We have a Bosch dishwasher in our home and our condo. Very quiet and reliable. Haven't needed any repairs. Highly recommend.
+1 We've had our Bosch dishwasher for a few years now and found it to be great. Very, very, quiet.
SpinDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post

Thanks.
Personally I'd go ahead and get the brands you want, regardless of the Sam's Club deal. You are spending a lot of money, so I think complete satisfaction is important. Or, it would be for me.

I have never had an LG or Bosch dishwasher, but I have heard a lot of good things about the Bosch and I would buy that one if I needed a new dishwasher. So what if it's not the same brand as my other appliances; does anyone care? Not me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Pretty much all new dishwashers are quiet, we put in a new whirlpool and it's so quiet we used to go into the kitchen to see if it was still running.

Such a difference from our old one, where we wouldn't run it while watching a movie, as we wanted to hear the movie !
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

We have an LG direct drive dishwasher. It is at least three years old and has given no problems. We use the Auto wash feature almost exclusively and find the dishes and utensils to come out clean and dry to our satisfaction. We have occasionally noticed from "day one" a slight electrical smell while operating which I'm guessing comes from the direct drive motor which bothers me but other than that, no complaints. I should say that we had a Bosch dishwasher previously for a good few years that gave good service until a piece of plastic got through the filters and caused water flow issues.
johnsope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #12

Thanks to each of you. There is a lot of useful input here. Two Bosch models are on my list of dishwashers we looked at/liked. The house came with a workhorse Thermador dishwasher; we have had two less expensive brands since then.

The old Jenn-Aire range that came with the house is about to get the boot. From all the looking we have done, I know it will not be replaced with another Jenn-Aire (not in the budget).

The house & range are 34yo. This planned obsolescence stuff stinks, haha.

Much obliged,
ohyes
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Pretty much all new dishwashers are quiet,
Not true. Most mid to higher end dishwashers are quiet. A quick look at Consumer Reports even shows some of the Bosch's are not as quiet as others. Bosch did have the best reliability rating, but I've always taking that with a grain of salt. If you get a bad one, reliability is negative 100%.

To the OP, the Thermador had a really good noise rating. Be careful not to get a new dishwasher that is not as quite. I was surprised to read that not all Bosch's are quiet.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:33 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Not true. Most mid to higher end dishwashers are quiet. A quick look at Consumer Reports even shows some of the Bosch's are not as quiet as others. Bosch did have the best reliability rating, but I've always taking that with a grain of salt. If you get a bad one, reliability is negative 100%.

To the OP, the Thermador had a really good noise rating. Be careful not to get a new dishwasher that is not as quite. I was surprised to read that not all Bosch's are quiet.

Our newest Bosch has a rating of 44db and all we hear is the water running through the drain. We still haven't trained my FIL to look for the light on the floor to see if it's running or not.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our Bosch is the best and quietest we've ever had.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
We're on our second Bosch dishwasher after moving last year. They.are fantastic.

There are so many "pretty faces" in the appliance world. They may look and be priced.like they're high quality but looks can be deceiving. Modern dishwashers use very little water and they run twice as long and use chemicals to get dishes clean.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

My hearing is shot so we just bought a $400 GE dishwasher with a 54 decibel rating. It has to be quieter than in 20 year old GE unit that died this weekend. As long as it washes the dishes and doesn't leak all over the kitchen floor, we will be good with it.

Of course, buying any dishwasher in Houston after Harvey comes with complications - no one has one in stock! So I had to order it.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I recently had to change my dishwasher. After doing some research, I decided to buy a Bosch. It is so quiet (42dB) that the first time I turned it on after hooking it up, I thought it was defective. I have other Bosch appliances and I like how parts are readily available from Bosch.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

When we remodeled our kitchen we did all LG. Dishwasher is extremely quiet. We don't like the retractable rack dividers as they will not stay upright. I zipped tied them and that helped. No issues with our counter-depth frig nor the microwave. The electric stove we do not care for. Takes forever to preheat the oven and hard to adjust the stove top burners to a consistent temp. No failures with any of the appliances.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

We actually do have a Bosch dishwasher, with other brands for all of the other appliances in our ktchen, but I imagine the LG package from Sam's offers a big savings so if I were the OP I would still seriously consider that if the return policy is fair. DS got a free dishwasher in a package when they bought a cooktop and wall oven (not an LG package).

If the appliances are all stainless steel, there can be color discrepancies among brands that will be noticeable if the floorplan calls for them to be next to each other, so try to see them in a showroom to compare them if you go with different brands.