Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
2. Be sure you know what your exit strategy is--many franchises just disappear and the owners and all the so-called sweat equity just disappears.
Exit strategy is the same as my FIRECalc age when I go poof! Then I will no longer care.

Congrats on getting out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
Yup, almost like buying groceries at the mart to bring home to cook. Interesting concept huh Just teasing.

It's quite popular by me, first ring burbs... everytime I go, 8 - 10 customers in line, so decent business. Ingredients are cut fresh daily and better quality cheese according to sales pitch. Standard family size pizza about 10 bucks.
At our local supermarket you can buy the same thing... I guess the difference is you have to buy what they prepared and not what you order... but they are made fresh everyday... heck, there is a bakery, food service, deli... all making fresh stuff to eat.... I have never looked at the price, so can not comment on that.... I will have to take a look next time I am there...

I would still probably buy the Domino's at $6 per pie and also save money by not cooking... but to each their own...

Old 02-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
...I would still probably buy the Domino's at $6 per pie and also save money by not cooking... but to each their own...
The benefit of the take and bake over Dominos et al is that it is hot and fresh out of the oven, but if your local pizzeria is close then I guess it is a wash.

Another thing is that we have found that the grocery store frozen pizzas are much better today than in the past. Where they used to be more like cardboard with pizza sauce and cheese on top, they are quite credible today and arguably less greasy than pizzeria pizza.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
The benefit of the take and bake over Dominos et al is that it is hot and fresh out of the oven, but if your local pizzeria is close then I guess it is a wash.

Another thing is that we have found that the grocery store frozen pizzas are much better today than in the past. Where they used to be more like cardboard with pizza sauce and cheese on top, they are quite credible today and arguably less greasy than pizzeria pizza.
Yes, ours is close and I go pick them up when they come out of the oven..

The store bought ones I was talking about are made fresh, not the frozen ones.... but I suspect that even the frozen ones have probably gotten better... still, I have not looked at their price..

Just as a FYI... you can put a Dominos in the oven to heat it up if you want... I do that for the leftovers and they taste great
Old 02-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

You're too close to the finish line, hang on; skip the franchise.

See if the 45 hour thing will work out. Maybe it's time to start shopping the resume around if things get unbearable, however, the advantage to staying on with the current employer is that at least you would likely get some severance money if things did not work out.

Megacorp can be a bummer sometimes, but I like the security of knowing that all my eggs (money) are not in a single business (e.g. franchise). Your skills are transferable; you can always use those skills at a company with a better work/life balance.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I looked into franchisees in the early 90's and decided to stay put in an corp job.
One problem is they make money by selling to you and you make money by selling to customer. so lets say they sell it to you for $1 and you sell it to customer for $1.50 then they run their tv ads and have a 2 for 1 so now you still pay $1 but get .75 cents. (little extreme example) so you will prob. sell more so they will make more $$ and you willlmake less

the other prob. I didn't like is they know everything about your business so if each store
gross $200,000 and you do $300,000 what do you think they will do? figure a way to cut into that business

I have friends in a franchise business and they did a lot of due-diligence and they make a lot of money but like most people above say the hours are insane esp. the first year
Old 02-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #47

DW was a manager at these places for years, 'til she got a better job reading electric meters. She excelled in turn-arounds and made fortunes for owners. The downfalls not mentioned is finding good help in years that aren't in a recession, razor thin profit margins that can easily get eaten up in labor costs, and stringent(expensive) health and building codes. Long hours is only part of it.

My FIRE plans include working at the best local pizza place, then Thai restaurant long enough to learn to cook my favorites. I plan to bribe and flatter the cooks. Then it's a coffee cart. Flavored hot water at generous prices, and take a day off when the fish are biting, etc... That should net me hundreds of dollars a year past my own coffee consumption, and tax write offs, too.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:43 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

At various times I've considered buying a franchise, including just a few months ago.
One of the best things about this forum is not the advice you get on what to do, but the advice you get on what NOT to do .

Is guess nobody is going to take the side that buying a franchise is an easy way to make big bucks?

So how about pay off mortgage or buy a Pizza Franchise?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Is guess nobody is going to take the side that buying a franchise is an easy way to make big bucks?
Easy money? The only easy money is by they guy that sells the formula to make easy money. All the rest takes hard work. A franchise can be successful, and can make a lot of money, but it is never easy.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #50

I started my own business with my wife. it wasn't a franchise ( too many fees). We made good money while we did it and when I sold it, it allowed me to fire. The thing with any independent small business is the hours. my wife and I were putting in 80 plus hours a week and forget vacations or holidays, someone always called in sick or unavailable. In order to save the marriage and family, we sold and did quite well, but If I had to do it again I would have to think long and hard. I would like to see a business where you could make 150k on a 200k investment. that would be something to see. like the man says "if it was that easy everyone would be doing it."
Old 03-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #51

Alot of good comments. For me, it might of been a better option in my 20's or maybe early 30's, but it sounds pretty risky based on the feedback. But now, it's hard to take a pay cut with increased hours, so I'll hold steady. It's always easy to "buy in", exit strategy would cause heartburn.

It's very true as one gets closer to FI or is FI, they are more open in communication. Yesterday, I challenged the CIO on a regulatory compliance issue. My boss was a bit surprised, but I'm the one working longer hours to fix the problem they created. I instructed the CIO to assign the task to one of his direct reports to resolve by Monday (as I'm taking Friday off). =) I really don't care if he doesn't, it'll probably cost the company $25k extra in fees if this blows up.