Life Changing Events
Old 04-30-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Life Changing Events

Three or less....

for me...

Individual National Swimming Championship High School and College
Marriage... with 4 sons in 8 years.
Cancer 1989... leading to Early Retirement.

Strange as it seems, the first, was probably most important, changing from introverted and shy, with low self confidence, to normal... as the small town hero.

Yeah... everyone is different. Life changing events aren't necessarily good or bad, and sometimes may not seem important to others.

Probably will take some thinking to pick out just three, and maybe not something that you'd like to share, but it could be interesting to see what others may feel to be important points in their lives.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Life changing events
Old 04-30-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Life changing events

1. First girlfriend.

2. Four years in the USAF during the Vietnam conflict.

3. Unplanned divorce.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:23 PM   #3

Probably have to say as far as major milestones/turning points:

Moved to US @12 via parents job transfer - staying in UK I might have been an entirely different person
Divorce @30 after a bad decision on the first H, freed me up for a different path and much wiser for the experience (and real appreciation for now DH)
Job Searching @35 (offer in hand, current employer countered with promotion) ended up with a significant career boost that enabled ER

One of those might have to bump after I actually ER in about 60 days
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1.First marriage
2 Divorce
3.Second marriage
4.Death of wife of 30 years
5.Third(hopefully last) marriage
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

1. 9th grade music class where I was exposed to the music of Bach. This was the spark for a life long hobby of music-making.
2. Choice of State University to major in Physics instead of going to a small school to play baseball like my father wanted.

These first two allowed me to:
3) Meet and successfully woo DW at State U by taking her to classical music concerts, singing in university chorus with her and basically convincing her that I had more class than I actually did. 38+ happy years later we are still making music together.
jjquantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:06 PM   #6
Administrator

1. Emigrating to the USA
2. Attending the US Naval Academy (and the subsequent active duty aboard submarines)
3. Getting married
4. Attending Yale Law School
Old 04-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #7

1. Death of a parent and sibling within a year of each other when I was a teenager.
2. Going abroad for my junior year in college
3. Getting my Ph.D. and launching a long and satisfying academic career
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
1.First marriage
2 Divorce
3.Second marriage
4.Death of wife of 30 years
5.Third(hopefully last) marriage
For a moment I thought this was me posting.....but for my #4 we were only together 20 years.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

1. Four years in Marine Corps
2. Birth of daughter
3. Marriage
4. 26 year law enforcement career
AlbaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:04 PM   #10

1. Having the opportunity to spend 5 years living in Germany, courtesy of the Air Force.
2. Meeting my wife at age 44.
3+ Birth of my sons, retired when they were 1 and 3 years old....proud to be a soccer dad (complete with minivan)
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

1. The Gulf of Tonkin incident in 1964. I was a few weeks from entering my Sr. year in HS, and this controversial incident started the chain of events that led to me being accepted into the USAF Officer Training School five years later, an "out of the frying pan, into the fire" maneuver to avoid the draft.

2. A blind date while attending college in the Fall of 1965. I fell in love - not with the blind date, but with her college campus - and transferred the end of the semester. There I would meet the young co-ed who would become my first (and only) wife.

3. Meeting a high school friend for dinner when he passed through town in 1980. While catching up on what we'd both been up to during the previous 15 years he told me about his plans to FIRE by the time he was 50. It was then (age 31) that I first began to understand early retirement was actually possible and I began to work towards my own FIRE date.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:15 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

1. Moving out on my own and learning it isn't fun to live in poverty. Cut my hair and got to work.
2. Watching my mother battle a long term illness that redefined courage for me.
3. Discovering I have a 30+yo daughter I didn't know existed (a long and intensely personal story).
Old 05-01-2016, 01:01 AM   #13

1. My two brothers and I going to live with my dad when I was 9. My parents were divorced and we previously lived with my mom in the Projects of a large city. Unlike my mom, my dad valued education, discipline, and hard work. My life would have been very different if I had stayed with my mom.
2. The entire college experience and obtaining a degree in engineering. I was the first generation of my family to go to college.
3. My long time boy friend and my older sister died in 2008/2009 within six months of each other. This has made me appreciate my loved ones more but also caused a sadness that still lingers.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:25 AM   #14

1. During a college biology field trip, seeing a forestry group doing the same thing and deciding that day, I was changing majors to forestry.

2. The above led me to meeting and marrying my wife and later realizing I was working in a dying industry, so I went back to school and got an MBA degree.

3. The above led me to a job in Alaska, which led to government jobs with pension and retirement medical benefits.

The whole process has allowed me to retire at 60, which likely wouldn't have happened if any one event didn't occur.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:14 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Couldn't wean it down to anywhere near 'three or less', and, over & above those in post #8, here are a few others:

1- Expelled, in England, from 2 schools before age 15.
2- Started menial work, age 15, operating small equipment at a laundry...that didn't last long.
3- Moved to Australia age 17
4- Pretty much circled the world a couple times before #5.
5- Came to Canada in 1965
6- Went back to school aged ~28.
7- Subsequently hired by Megacorp, which allowed me to work in Saudi for 7+ years.
8- Quit working forever age 46 when Saudi contract ended.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:43 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

1. A part-time summer job between freshman year and sophomore year of college working in a tire shop. Prior to that I was a classic underachiever... smart but lazy. After working for a summer next to guys that were just a couple years older than me and we were all working our a$$es off for a bit more than minimum wage I decided that it would be in my best interest to make the best of my opportunity to attend college and I stepped it up and was Dean's List the rest of my college career.

2. My first review in my first job out of college... while I was working hard I was also partying hard... the managing partner started out the review telling me that they thought I was a smart young guy... I smiled thinking this is going to be good... and then he added .... but we also think you are lazy and not working to your full potential. Boiled down, he told me that in 6 months they would either promote me or kick my a$$ out of the building. It was a wake-up call that I needed to be more serious about my career (and yes, I was promoted 5 months later).

3. Serving on some professional committees developing accounting standards... very interesting and intellectually stimulating work and made some great contacts.... probably one of the highlights of my career.... one of those contacts ultimately because my boss when I changed jobs.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:04 AM   #17

1. Father disabled by brain tumor in 1964 (When I was 8)
2. Mother disabled by the degenerative effects of diabetes in 1968
3. Started college when I was 17 but got lost at the big campus of U of M
4. Older sisters boyfriend suggested I try UMD and I loved Duluth and the campus.
5. Met wife while bartending during college, about to celebrate 34 years.
6. Found job with megacorp right out of college and never left.
7. Youngest child came down with meningitis at 8 weeks old. 30 days in critical care and life long effects.
8. Retired at 55 to start a new adventure.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:01 AM   #18

Chronologically...

1) Choosing to join NROTC college program... 16.5 years active duty and counting.
2) Marrying my wife (of nearly five years now)
3) Yet to come... but due this September. :-)
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:02 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

1. Flunking out of college after 3 semesters, being re-classified 1-A, seemingly on my way to Viet Nam.
2. Draft lottery and a number of 300+.
3. Returning to school and eventually graduating from the college I had flunked out of.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

In chronological order:
1. Stayed in college as mother said.
2. Met future wife.
3. Purchased a macintosh and laser printer.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote