Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
My paranoia and agoraphobia are starting to surface.

What should I wear/buy?

What should I pack?

I did locate the suitcase.

I know I'm going to feel like crap after a day noise/light/sound/people/travel food/...

Can only hope I don't have a migraine.

For shopping and packing make a list .
I usually take an outfit for each day & one extra in case I wake up and hate that outfit . Enough underwear for length of trip , comfortable shoes , a jacket , one or two sweaters and one slightly dressier outfit & pj's .
What to buy ?
Pick a color and buy things that co-ordinate . Knits are easy . The pack well & do not wrinkle .Try Lands End Sport knit pants in gray or black then add either knit tees or turtlenecks depending on where you are going . Purchase a cardigan sweater in a complimentary shade add comfortable shoes . If you call Lands End they will help you select the items . Buy small containers of shampoo ,deodorant , & hairspray since they only let you carry on a small amount .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Checked baggage allows you more clothing and stuff you can't carry on (skin creams and stuff). You can't lock it - don't pack anything valuable (electronics, jewelry)

Which airport? What time does flight leave? This is to check what options you have to buy food.
Dayton OH , 1120, told to be there at least 2 hours earlier.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Khan, don't worry, you will be fine! Do you have a pair of earphones? Particularly if they are the earbud kind, bring them with you so you can watch a movie or TV program on the flight. If you have an iPod or similar, bring it along and you can listen to music. If you enjoy your privacy, earphones are very helpful! If you are not sure about details, check with your airline.

Most airlines will sell you a pair of headphones, but us LBYM folks are too cheap to buy them! I was on a 2.5 hour flight last night but had forgotten my earphones. I made friends and read the newspaper instead. My seatmate watched "Eat, Pray, Love" and pronounced it "not as good as the book".

I'm a nervous nellie flyer, but you're safer in the air than you are most anywhere else. I find it helps to look at the crew and realize that they have personal lives, homes and families and if they feel confident that they will get home safely, so should I.

Enjoy your trip, Khan!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

+1 to MichaelB's comments about drinking lots of water. It's even more important than food IMHO. When waiting at airports, I am back-and-forth between the drinking fountains and the ladies' rooms. I know some people are suspicious of public water fountains, but I have yet to be poisoned.

Have a good trip!

Amethyst
Old 11-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

May the force be with you Khan
Old 11-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Enjoy your trip, Khan. You have gotten a lot of good, practical advice from previous posts.
I second the suggestion of Land's End knits. I love their fabrics and have a number of cotton sweaters with matching tees to wear to the office. I have to dress in layers in our office space which is in a historic landmark building. We are either sweltering or freezing and one must dress each day for unknown conditions. Bon voyage!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #67

Quote:
Dayton OH , 1120, told to be there at least 2 hours earlier.
That time of day all the shops are open. They have Quiznos and Sbarros and a few others - not bad for the average airport. Dayton International Airport | Restaurants and Shops You can buy and eat there or bring it on the plane and eat later. Once you're past security you aren't restricted any longer on the stuff you can carry with you.

Others are giving good advice as well on clothing and such. Make a list, pack stuff that doesn't wrinkle easy, headphones. An MP3 player if you have one.

If you like doing puzzles or sudoku you can get a book that will keep you busy for the whole trip.

Anticipation is worse than the actual trip. You'll do fine.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That time of day all the shops are open. They have Quiznos and Sbarros and a few others - not bad for the average airport. Dayton International Airport | Restaurants and Shops You can buy and eat there or bring it on the plane and eat later. Once you're past security you aren't restricted any longer on the stuff you can carry with you.

Others are giving good advice as well on clothing and such. Make a list, pack stuff that doesn't wrinkle easy, headphones. An MP3 player if you have one.

If you like doing puzzles or sudoku you can get a book that will keep you busy for the whole trip.

Anticipation is worse than the actual trip. You'll do fine.
All that starch will make me ill; wish there were Atkins options.

Can not do puzzles or books; they are instant nausea on moving vehicle.
---------------------------------

Can I use a PC or smart phone while aloft?
Old 11-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #69

Quote:

PC is not a problem - just disable the wireless function if it has one. No experience with smart phones.

Atkins - buy a Quiznos with lots of meat and/or cheese and whole wheat bread, then just eat the insides and a little bit of bread.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #70

Quote:
Atkins - buy a Quiznos with lots of meat and/or cheese and whole wheat bread, then just eat the insides and a little bit of bread.
Around here, Quizno's offers salads, too. That could be an Atkins option, no?

omni
Old 11-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

I do appreciate all the suggestions.
What's that song: "I will survive"
Old 11-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #72
Administrator

Quote:
And more than that, hopefully you will have fun! It is your adventure to enjoy.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh yeah. Gloria.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Khan, don't worry, you will be fine! Do you have a pair of earphones? Particularly if they are the earbud kind, bring them with you so you can watch a movie or TV program on the flight. If you have an iPod or similar, bring it along and you can listen to music. If you enjoy your privacy, earphones are very helpful! If you are not sure about details, check with your airline.

Most airlines will sell you a pair of headphones, but us LBYM folks are too cheap to buy them! I was on a 2.5 hour flight last night but had forgotten my earphones. I made friends and read the newspaper instead. My seatmate watched "Eat, Pray, Love" and pronounced it "not as good as the book".

I'm a nervous nellie flyer, but you're safer in the air than you are most anywhere else. I find it helps to look at the crew and realize that they have personal lives, homes and families and if they feel confident that they will get home safely, so should I.

Enjoy your trip, Khan!

I think they offer to sell you earphones so that you can PAY to watch the movie. I much prefer a nap.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Khan, you can take snacks to the airport with you through the security check--some string cheese, tuna in a pouch, etc.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:15 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by old.snake View Post
Better a quiet existence than one filled with people who go out of their way to figure out your schedule so they could put themselves in your path at a time they know you'll be there so they could "coincidentally" bump into you and waste your time with pointless forced socializing that serves no purpose other than to waste your time and delay you from reaching your destination/accomplishing your goal. And somehow I would be the bad guy if I were to flip out on them and tell them to **** off.
What in the world are you talking about?
He's talking about the silly idea they have at some workplaces that the employees are a "family", that "co-worker" and "friend" are synonyms, and that the fact that you work in the same office with someone automatically means that you want to socialize with them in your off hours. Happily for me, although some of my office-mates do socialize outside of working hours, they don't pester me to join them or lie in wait and force me into conversation. If they did, I'd be as disgusted with it as old.snake is.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
He's talking about the silly idea they have at some workplaces that the employees are a "family", that "co-worker" and "friend" are synonyms, and that the fact that you work in the same office with someone automatically means that you want to socialize with them in your off hours. Happily for me, although some of my office-mates do socialize outside of working hours, they don't pester me to join them or lie in wait and force me into conversation. If they did, I'd be as disgusted with it as old.snake is.
O-K!
Old 11-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #78
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
THANK YOU. You are the ONLY PERSON I've seen that understands this. Perhaps there are more of my kind out there than I thought. What we need is a nation, a nation without forced socializing. The nation my father and his mentor once envisioned. I shall call this nation... "Outer Heaven" "The Nation Without Forced Socializing" "Nation Sans Relations Forcées"

EDIT: and it isn't just at the workplace. It's also strangers that I meet in my day to day life. I am a HUGE MAGNET for forced socializing. I hate being a known figure in my community and cannot wait to retire so I can move to a place where NO ONE knows or cares who I am. Or at least work in a community whose culture involves keeping to yourself, minding your own ****ing business, and never talking to strangers unless absolutely necessary. Who the **** wants to live in a world where you are REQUIRED to make friends with EVERYONE YOU MEET? I don't have to make friends with you unless it is explicitly part of my job description or some asshole politician passes a law that mandates forced socializing for everyone. If the former happens I'll quit my job, and if the latter happens, I'll leave the ****ing country and find work elsewhere.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old.snake View Post
... and if the latter happens, I'll leave the ****ing country and find work elsewhere.
Perhaps as a social director at Club Med?
Old 11-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #80

Hands up baby hands up give me your heart baby, give me....................