Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2008, 07:41 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
in the days before AC. During the summer, folks would stay outside on the stoop and even sleep outside during particularly hot evenings. Everyone in the neighborhood was outside a lot and visited with each other. This provided a sense of connection with your neighbors and community.
think this is true of the boating community as well, though many larger boats have air conditioning now, there always seems to be a sense of community in marinas where so many people are outside.

but i also lived in a condo a while back where after work and on weekends lots of us would gather at the pool and bring food & drink & floating backgammon boards. and without air conditioning we never would have populated florida to have fun with the neighbors by the pool.

also, without a/c, where would the mall walkers have ever met?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I think the Television also drove people inside in the evenings. Now the internet also. When I was a kid in the 60's there were always kids out playing in the evenings. We had AC but only used it if it was really hot. People are not willing to let there kids run around the neighborhood anymore. Afraid of what might happen. Probably nothing, but tell that to a Mom.

The TV thing is very noticeable. When we bought our travel trailer it came with a television, external antenna, cable connection, etc. We immediately removed the TV, since the whole point is to get away from all that. We have been quite amazed at the number of people who sit in their RVs and stare at the tube every night.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

1979 -1989 since it never gets that hot or humid in Louisiana - once we moved from the duplex in New Orleans out to the fish camp on Lake Ponchartrain where the lake breeze(not) kept one cool - no A/C.

I wore sweaters to work to keep the A/C there from giving my body the wrong idea. In that area once school let out people would move to 'da camp' for summer and commute to work in the city. Portable fan under the camp for breeze if needed in the late afternoon/evening.

We had a 48 inch whole house fan inside.

A/C like sanity is overrated - but then again you don't really need electricity either. Even I never got 'that' frugal.

Old timers considered A/C bad for your health - especially going in and out of it.

heh heh heh - notice the dates - the late SO - she er encouraged me to get some A/C in the bedroom and later the whole house as time went by - there's frugal and then there is the second opinion although she had a different terminology. .
Old 07-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Same experience here, growing up in the 60's. Playing cards held with clothespins to stick them in the spokes of your bicycle. Always outside unless weather prohibited it.

Scheduled activities? We never heard of that.
We used to put cards on our bike spokes too. This is one of those shared experiences of the boomer childhood.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
We used to put cards on our bike spokes too. This is one of those shared experiences of the boomer childhood.
Ditto here also.

heh heh heh -
Old 07-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #26

and generator powered bike lights. foreshadowing: green before our time.

photo credit: By Bob AuBuchon on Flickr

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

119° F | 83° F
48° C | 28° C

Palm Springs today - my honey is running her 93YO Mom down from the high desert for a round of doctor visits. AC good.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #28

DD thinks she needs 72 when it's winter, and 68 when it's summer.:confused:
Old 07-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

No A/C in our house, but plenty of open windows, ceiling fans, & tradewinds.

When people move to Hawaii they usually complain bitterly about the hot summers. After a year here, though, they begin complaining bitterly about the freezing-cold winters.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I don't like A/C and only use it in extreme conditions.

Today's high was 85 with low humidity and a good breeze; no A/C, no fans, didn't even resort to shorts or sleeveless shirts.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
When people move to Hawaii they usually complain bitterly about the hot summers. After a year here, though, they begin complaining bitterly about the freezing-cold winters.
Isn't it around 84 in the summer and 82 in the winter?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:28 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Isn't it around 84 in the summer and 82 in the winter?
Doesn't take much experience to be a weather forecaster around here... highs in the mid 80s, lows in the mid 70s, tradewinds 10-15 mph, with mauka showers in some areas. The surf report takes longer than the weather report.

But when the tradewinds go Kona in Sep/Oct the daytime highs can get all the way up to the 90s. And in Jan/Feb, the dead of winter, some of those lows get into the 60s. Why, a few years back in the winter of '03 we had a low of 59 in the 50s!

My high-school friends can't understand why I don't like Pittsburgh winters anymore. Summers, either.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Then there are those who turn the heat up in winter and run the fan
I may be wrong about this (just like I totally bought the theory of corn/ethanol decreasing pollution and offering a viable alternative energy source), but doesn't running a fan in the winter in reverse direction conserve energy and make homes more comfortable with less utilization of the heat? Some websites like reliant.com say this:

In the winter, reverse the rotation of your ceiling fans to lift cool air and move warm air across the ceiling and down the walls into the living zone. The fan will bring the hot air down to mix with the cooler air at floor level. This mixing will basically equalize the temperature at floor and ceiling levels, which means that the heat will not be wasted keeping the ceilings warm. The heating system would not need to run as often, and your savings could be significant — all without compromising your comfort level.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #34

In Texas, there's a word for "life with no A/C."

It's called "Hell."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
I may be wrong about this (just like I totally bought the theory of corn/ethanol decreasing pollution and offering a viable alternative energy source), but doesn't running a fan in the winter in reverse direction conserve energy and make homes more comfortable with less utilization of the heat? Some websites like reliant.com say this:

In the winter, reverse the rotation of your ceiling fans to lift cool air and move warm air across the ceiling and down the walls into the living zone. The fan will bring the hot air down to mix with the cooler air at floor level. This mixing will basically equalize the temperature at floor and ceiling levels, which means that the heat will not be wasted keeping the ceilings warm. The heating system would not need to run as often, and your savings could be significant — all without compromising your comfort level.
This wasn't using a ceiling fan to mix the air (which seems like a good idea). This was turning the thermostat up to 75 or so and turning on a floor fan next to the bed.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:45 AM   #36

We've tried reversing the ceiling fans in the winter but it didn't work for us. It just disturbs the "boundary layer" of warm air surrounding skin and makes it feel colder.

No way would I ever go back to no A/C. Some days would be tolerable, but 90+ with 70%+ humidity and no A/C is still something I'd like to forget.