Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
My first degree was a BS in chemistry but ended up working in a biology lab "torturing" animals (which I hated) and making little money. Then got my BS in chemical engineering and a job with the federal government(later got an MS in Industrial Engineering going to school at night). When first hired, I expressed interest in working at their Denver site but they had Colorado graduates in mind for those slots. A few years later, the Denver plant was shut down so guess I was lucky to stay in NM.

I've been with the same agency for the last 29 years in the same city although in several different but similar positions. Early on, management encouraged us to seek jobs in the smaller "field" offices in several other states as it would enhance our career. But few followed this advice as it generally involved more work and lower grades in unattractive, remote locations. However I do get to travel in my job which makes it more interesting and I plan to relocate to the Pacific NW upon retirement in two years.

Was never interested in owning my own business. That is really a lot of work and risk, but I admire those who have done it.

ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have worked in three different countries both in the EU and US.

I hold college, masters and doctorate degrees. I have never own a business.

Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
So after reading a few posts I was beginning to compare my own situation and realized how crazy my life has been on my path to FIRE.

I have held over 20 jobs, traveled to 8 different countries, lived in 7 different places and got married.

Of us who holdx college degrees?

How many of us don't have a degree but do have college experience?

How many of you have had the same job the whole time on your path to FIRE?

Who has owned there own business?

Who of us has relocated or moved out of state on our path to FIRE?

Just some questions I ponder.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #23
BS & MS, 5 companies*, relocated to NC out of college and "I've Been Moved" once, to GA, but back to NC after a few years.

* Counting my own one-man, short-lived consulting biz and not counting the change in company name when they got bought out.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
BS in Physics followed a couple of years later with an MS in Mechanical Engineering.

2 jobs. The first for only 6 months. The last employer for 30 yrs. Worked in the same place and lived in our one and only house for 30 yrs too.

Never owned a business.
Happy, Wild, and Free
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #25
Spent my time trying to react to technology. I moved 30 times in 15 years (1976-1991) in this endeavor. First as a mining geologist, but most new mining eventually moved overseas. Then as a surveyor, but technology enabled all the equipment to be computerized and people with no math skills could now do surveying; then as a cartographer doing field mapping, but satellite imagery took that over; I finally ended up as an IT Project manager, and I think I'll escape the rat race as that.
"The natural inclination of every boat everywhere is to sink".......Nicole Pasulka
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #26
I have a BS degree in Systems and have worked as a software developer, a IT director, owned a business that did computer programming. Every job since college has been computer related.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #27

Worked for Megacorp 18 years, then a consulting firm.

Opened/owned my own consulting firm as a Sub S Corp and ran it 13 years before closing it. Had three full time professional employees and several contractors during that time.

Now just consult to energy firms as a sole proprietor (winding down).

If I had it to do over again, I would not have wasted 18 years in Megacorp before owning my own company.
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
4 employers since graduating from undergrad all in the northeast US for 3, 6, 12 and 13 years each. Undergrad degree and MBA (paid for by second employer) and 3 professional certifications but only one of the three is widely recognized.

For last two jobs we lived in the same town that DW and I grew up in. All of us (DW, me, DD and DS) all graduated from the same HS (as did our parents), DW and I the same year (but we were not HS sweethearts).

With second and last employers I traveled a lot. For second employer covered Quebec, eastern seaboard, south and Caribbean. For last employer mostly London, Edinburgh, Sydney, Seoul, Hanoi and other places.

ER'd at 56.
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
5 companies since college. I have an MBA. 49 yrs old. Retired at 47. Single never married.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
Two engineering degrees. Worked for three companies. 7, 3 and 24 years for the last one. ER'd this year at 58.

Lived most of my life in the NW US. And plan to stay.

Always been focused on ER. Saved quite a bit, but lived quite a bit as well.

But the major factor for ER has been being married to the same DW for 30 years.

Also, this chart from Bill Bernstein suggests we were very lucky to enter the workplace in 1979.

Bigal50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #31
No degree, just a diploma and a professional qualification. Worked in two countries, travelled for work to 5 countries. Worked in a few local firms and lastly with 3 large international firms on Fortune 100. Was awarded by one of it with a gold coin for 10- Year service. Currently alumni with the 3 large international firms. Two of which keep asking me to update them what I do now as they say their alumni members usually do great things. Didn't want to disappoint them that I am doing nothing as eventful like getting involved in politics or setting up a new business (as i read from the alumni updates) but just having an abundantly enjoyable retired life!
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #32
One company in the last 25 years prior to retirement. We had three mergers and continuous downsizing for 20 years. I had several career changes.

We relocated our family to another city to take a promotion. Those last eight years allowed me to FIRE at 59. My salary was frozen but I was given stock options and generous pay for performance bonuses. That, plus a termination packaged negotiated by counsel and reasonable DB pension did it for me. No looking back.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets
Thank you for all of the replies. As I can imagine many of your financial portfolios are, it looks like your life experiences and events are equally as diversified .
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #34
I have a masters degree, but mainly because I had the world's most patient advisor. It probably helped that he was a tenured full professor and innately kind.

My whole professional career was at one place and I never had to move (that comes now). I never owned a business, I don't think I'm cut out for it.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...
I gots a BA, an MBA, a CFA charter, and i are a commissioned bank examiner (bonus points and sympathy if you know what that is). DW has a BA, two master's degrees and more letters after her name than are in it. I worked 6 different jobs after college in 3 states. Only DW has owned her own business thus far.

We relocated a bit over 2 years ago to the city we wanted to retire in, courtesy of my employer via a transfer. I plan to quit in 100 days and esr.
"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...
Drank and chased women for 50 years, never worked, then won the lottery.
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #37
BSEE through the military.

20 years military then 2 jobs in civilian world. Last one with Megacorp for 8 years.

Have visited 27 different countries and lived in 7 different US locations.

Never owned a company.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #38
Various PT jobs in HS and college. BA. Worked for one company. Started as a front line grunt. Ended up working at 8 locations in different roles. Lived in two countries while working for megacorp. In my last role and for my last 11 years at megacorp I reported to the global CEO. I lost count of my air miles and number of countries visited. I've had to replace passports twice (after adding as many pages as allowed) because it was so full there were no more pages for entry and exit stamps. Total time at my one career megacorp was 27 years. ERd in December.

Find Joy in the Journey...
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote