Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
No life review, definite slow motion effect.
Experienced that too when a friend and I were mugged violently (fortunately, neither of us were hurt). Slow motion effect and everything happening in flashes, much like an action scene in a movie.
inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
(Thank God the engineer was watching and had a finger on the horn.)

Me, too. I jumped out of the oncoming train just in time.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, at 19 my recently-ex-boyfriend decided the world would be a better place without me in it. When he raised the blunt object above his head to bring it down onto mine*, I saw the grim reaper and my life flash in front of my eyes. I figured that it was just my subconscious saying, "I'm about to die" and all of the cultural myths about near-death experiences were what was fed to my conscious mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
While putting in a stint,
Sorry for the nitpick, but it's "stent". I worked for a few years on angioplasty catheters and stent delivery catheters.

*He was stopped by a mutual friend, so I didn't end up with any more physical injuries than some defensive bruising from his punches.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not yet.

Have survived a number of dangerous events, mostly self-created and really stupid.

I did have a strange case of deja-vu once. I remember a trip as a child, when I heard a particular song, but that song was not written until years later. Crossed wires somewhere in my mushware. I cannot trust my memory very well. Knowing this has been helpful.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
Yep, at 19 my recently-ex-boyfriend decided the world would be a better place without me in it..
Nitpicking does that.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #26

Came close to being trampled underfoot in a crowd of ~60,000 on a New Years Eve in Trafalgar Square in ~1982/1983. Just as the crowds were swarming over me, and I realized there was no chance of getting up on my own, a benevolent skinhead with a Union Jack tattooed into his scalp pulled me out. No life flashing before my eyes - just the thought, "Oh crap, this is probably it." Heard on BBC radio later that people had died in that crush. In subsequent years, crowd barriers were used to break the crowd up on NYE in Trafalgar Square.

Another time, I gave chase to a couple of robbers in Hollywood. A getaway car pulled up, they jumped into it, the passenger door opened, and I found myself staring down the barrel of a revolver, as the fellow brandishing the gun* told me to "Back off, motherf*&$er." I did, and the car sped away. Once again, no life flashing before my eyes, but the whole scene did seem to happen in slow-motion, like some kind of Tarantino flick. Afterwards, I told my friend how "cool" it all seemed, due to the slow-motion feel and that the fact that it didn't seem real. Their response was, "Are you crazy? You could have died!" but for some reason, the reality of that possibility never did sink in. Perhaps it was some kind of mental defense mechanism. Not the first time I came face to face with someone who threatened my life in Hollywood. Another time, a guy in an unlit side street who I had chased and challenged told me to back off, or he would kill me. So I did the prudent thing, and backed off (long story and I'll spare the details.)

Nowadays, I live a quiet life with 3 adorable kitty companions. It's nowhere near as dangerous, but it's my kind of life

*A detective later told me the gun had been loaded.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
Nitpicking does that.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had two slow motion events in my life. One time a car ran a stop sign just as I was starting into the intersection. My maneuvering to try to avoid him, and the subsequent collision all seemed to happen in slow motion.

Another time was similar, a car ignored a stop exiting the freeway in front of me, and I recall maneuvering the steering and pump braking to avoid a skid, and to avoid him (which was successful this time) and that seemed to happen in slow motion too. I recall feeling the heightened intesity of my thinking during that time.

Don't know why but suspect the feeling of slow motion was because the brain was operating at faster speed or higher intensity, which made time seem to slow down.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #29

When I was 18, I was walking on a sidewalk on campus. As I looked over towards the street, I spotted a '63 Pontiac Catalina (aka a "land barge") headed directly towards me. I took off running (perpendicular to the path of the car).

At that point, everything appeared to be moving in slow motion -- me running and the approaching vehicle getting ever closer. As I looked over at him, I could see the driver bearing down on me, knocking me down with the driver's side front corner, then running over me with the 2 tires on his side of the car, then the car hitting a nearby building and rolling backwards, finally stopping with the rear tire literally parked on top of my ankle.

As nearby onlookers came running to see what had happened and to offer help, the first words I uttered were, "Contrary to popular belief, your life does not flash before your eyes."

As a result of this incident, I acquired some major tire tracks (which impressed the interns in the hospital ER) on the back of my miniskirt and a whole lot of colorful bruises. Miraculously, I basically escaped unscathed.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #30

Seems like life flashing before your eyes is more rare occasion than things happening in slow mo.

BTW, I had slow mo thing happening to me as well. It was one of my boxing matches. On a critical final round, my legs were really getting tired. In a mad exchange, I saw my opponent's punch coming straight at my nose and it appeared to be in slow mo. I knew I have to defend against it but just could not. The punch landed on my nose and I lost a close decision. The flurry of exchange happened in less than 1 or 2 seconds but the punch seemed to take forever to find my nose .
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

No flashing for me.

I had been sick for a couple of days in 2007, and somehow woke up in the ER. I didn't know how I'd gotten there or been doing prior to getting there. I was dazed and my temp was 104, heart rate 190, and bp falling. I was having convulsions. I had no remembrance of my wife calling 911 or the ambulance ride. I was in septic shock (which has a 50% mortality rate). I didn't know what was wrong but I knew it was bad. I was 51 years old at the time, and my only reaction was astonishment that this couldn't be happening. My wife showed up as I was drifting in and out of consciousness. I told her I loved her. I remember wishing to God that only I survive.

Luckily I did just that after 4 days in ICU and a week in the hospital. No lasting injuries. It changes your life, for the better. No more taking anything for granted.
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote