Join Early Retirement Today

Light Bulbs
Old 11-14-2016, 12:55 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Light Bulbs

If a lamp indicates that it can utilize a 60 watt bulb, and one of the newer kinds of bulbs indicates that it's an "18w that replaces a 75w" bulb can this newer bulb be safely used in a lamp, fan, etc.?

PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 01:06 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes

Old 11-14-2016, 06:13 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes. The bulb capacity is based on actual wattage, not the brightness produced.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

What the above posters said. A bit more explanation follows.

The new bulb puts out as much light as a 75W incandescent bulb. However, it only consumes 15W. It will emit a lot less heat than the 60W rating that the fixture can dissipate. Therefore, it is completely safe, and in fact will run a lot cooler than the old 60W bulb.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

All of the above.

Just be aware that the light spectrum will be narrower. Not as "sun like" than incandescents.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #6

My problem is that a 60 watt bulb is not bright enough to read by. It's too dim, and 100 watt bulbs are getting increasingly hard to buy. A few big box home store retailers have bought up the remaining supply of 100 watters.

On the other hand, 100 watt equivalent LED's are few and far between--and very expensive.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
...On the other hand, 100 watt equivalent LED's are few and far between--and very expensive.
True, until recently.

I just got some from Costco (forgot how much exactly). The new ones have a higher lumen spec than the first 100W LED bulb I bought a year ago. When I replaced the old LED bulb to use it elsewhere, the increased brightness from the new bulb was noticeable.

Apparently, manufacturers can claim 100W-equivalency with some tolerance, and not all 100W-equivalent bulbs are the same in brightness.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:20 AM   #8
Administrator

If an LED bulb is used to replace an incandescent that uses a dimmer switch, does the switch need to be replaced as well?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Supposedly not, if the LED bulb is of the dimmable type. However, posters have talked of having some problems like flickering. I myself have not used LEDs on dimmers, so do not know.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

How 'bout this as a community service?

I just went out to the garage and looked at the LED package on the shelf. It said "100W equivalent, dimmable, 17W power consumption, 1600 lumens, soft white".

Hallelujah! You can find them at your nearest Costco. Buy, buy, buy...

Despite my "superior" memory, I do not remember how much they cost, but if I bought them, they had to be inexpensive. Maybe $5 each, which is unbeatable for 100W equivalent.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

To the OP... Yes, the new LED bulbs are much lower wattage (power) compared to the incandescent style bulbs. The ratings for lamps and such are typically based on the wiring and switches used in the device and the appropriate wattage rating is established to avoid overheating, melting wires, etc.

So I guess with the new LED bulbs you could use a product that indicates 60W replaces an XXXX watt bulb. That would be one monster lumen LED bulb! Just kidding - an LED like that probably doesn't exist for residential use.

Regarding price of LED bulbs... I notice prices in big box home furnishing and home repair centers are higher than I want to pay. I don't recall the prices exactly but in the $6 - $10 per bulb range. IKEA LED bulbs are much more affordable. We've installed a few bulbs from IKEA and they seem to work fine - they have a variety of physical sizes and lumen ratings. The prices are more like $2 - $4 per bulb.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Prices of LED bulbs at Ikea were good... until Costco starts to carry them. See my post above.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:56 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Prices of LED bulbs at Ikea were good... until Costco starts to carry them. See my post above.
Lowes sells two "60 watt" LED bulbs for $3. I suspect they are cheaply made, but I was amazed to see them at this price already.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:12 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

One of my big gripes about the new LED bulbs has been that 60W, maybe 75W, equiv has been a bright as they get. But, like those above, I just bought a 10 pack of 100W equivalents at Costco for a good price. Now, I can see inside my home on these dark, cloudy and short winter days.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My problem is that a 60 watt bulb is not bright enough to read by. It's too dim, and 100 watt bulbs are getting increasingly hard to buy. A few big box home store retailers have bought up the remaining supply of 100 watters.

On the other hand, 100 watt equivalent LED's are few and far between--and very expensive.
I have a floor lamp that was designed for 3-way 50/100/150W bulbs, and turning the lamp up to the highest level helps for reading. I think 3-way incandescent bulbs might be easier to find than plain 100W incandescent bulbs. I bought a package of two such bulbs from Amazon in January of 2014 and haven't had to buy any more. Since my cataract surgeries I only use that lamp occasionally, mostly when I am reading for a very long time.

Also, I have heard that LED bulbs can be nice and bright although I haven't shifted over to them yet myself.

I would urge you to ask about cataracts the next time your eyes are checked. Cataract surgery is great these days. Mine only took 7 minutes for both eyes, and sure brightened up the world.

― Percy Bysshe Shelley
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Lowes sells two "60 watt" LED bulbs for $3. I suspect they are cheaply made, but I was amazed to see them at this price already.
Wow. I do not remember the price of equivalent bulbs at Costco, but $1.5/each is hard to beat. Looks like the Chinese are cranking them out 24/7.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If an LED bulb is used to replace an incandescent that uses a dimmer switch, does the switch need to be replaced as well?
We have LED bulbs used with switches. We switched from fluorescent (dimmer not allowed) to LED and added the dimmer switches and they work great!
Old 11-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #18

Quote:
My problem is that a 60 watt bulb ....

And the LED bulbs that I have evaluated in lamps are not as omni-directional in their light output pattern as the incandescents that they replace.

I have been fairly happy with some of the CFLs that I have purchased for lamps (as long as I don't try to dim them).

The large overhead BR40 Flood lights in my high vaulted ceiling, which are no longer available outside of transitional Halogen versions, are more of a concern.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #19

BR40 you say? How about LED version?
Old 11-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have a floor lamp that was designed for 3-way 50/100/150W bulbs, and turning the lamp up to the highest level helps for reading. I think 3-way incandescent bulbs might be easier to find than plain 100W incandescent bulbs. I bought a package of two such bulbs from Amazon in January of 2014 and haven't had to buy any more. Since my cataract surgeries I only use that lamp occasionally, mostly when I am reading for a very long time.

Also, I have heard that LED bulbs can be nice and bright although I haven't shifted over to them yet myself.

I would urge you to ask about cataracts the next time your eyes are checked. Cataract surgery is great these days. Mine only took 7 minutes for both eyes, and sure brightened up the world.
There are 3-way LED bulbs. I know that 3-way 100W equivalent bulbs with 500/1000/1600 lumen modes are available (numbers might be slightly off).

exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote