Join Early Retirement Today

Light-Field Camera Technology, totally different
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Light-Field Camera Technology, totally different

Another camera/optics article. I'm not particularly interested in cameras, but the new technology is interesting. A big leap from cameras of the last 150 years. I had never heard of Plenoptics as a concept.

Quote:
Light-field technology heralds one of the biggest changes to imaging since 1826, when Joseph-Nicéphore Niépce made the first permanent photograph of a scene from nature. A single light-field snapshot can provide photos where focus, exposure, and even depth of field are adjustable after the picture is taken. And that’s just for starters. The next generation of light-field optical wizardry promises ultra-accurate facial-recognition systems, personalized 3-D televisions, and cameras that provide views of the world that are indistinguishable from what you’d see out a window.

Today's cameras record an image by storing 2D X and Y information. A Light-Field camera stores X, Y, & Z spatial information, and the direction of each incoming ray that was reflected off of the object of interest.

There is a drawing labeled "Conventional Camera" and "Light-Field Camera". At first, it looks like the drawing has something to do with splitting up colors - it does not. The colors are simply used to describe three different focal plane scenarios. The multiple focal planes to the front of the drawing are examples of where an object may be positioned with respect to the camera. The actual image sensor is at the back of the drawing.

If anyone here has or buys a Lytro Light-Field camera, tell us about it!

Light-Field Photography Revolutionizes Imaging - IEEE Spectrum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #2

I've read about those in a photo magazine. There are some shortcomings now but it does have the potential to change photography, at least for screen display.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've read about those in a photo magazine. There are some shortcomings now but it does have the potential to change photography, at least for screen display.
I remember when there was all that commotion about digital photography, but that was a flash in the pan. That's why most of my stock is in Kodak.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I remember when there was all that commotion about digital photography, but that was a flash in the pan. That's why most of my stock is in Kodak.
Sucker!
Instant photography is the wave of the future. That's why my portfolio is so heavy in Polaroid stock.