Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been using the mayo that is made with olive oil for about 7-8 years and prefer it to the traditional formula (recipe?).

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

"Light" is relative when it comes to mayonnaise. "Light mayonnaise" may be an oxymoron. Personally I can tolerate Hellmann's ligt mayonnaise. But I once bought some "fat free cheese" and it tasted so gross I had to throw it out.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I've been using the mayo that is made with olive oil for about 7-8 years and prefer it to the traditional formula (recipe?).
And it's Kosher:

Hellmann’s | Now with Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Best Foods | Now with Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've heard of Best Foods, but realize now it's something that sells probably west of the Rockies. Shoot..I'm in Illinois now.
Never even heard of Duke's brand until now. Would like to try it.
Not much diversity here in foods and other things (altho the area isn't politically conservative much at all), so maybe the best thing for me is to try the Greek yogurt (which I have seen here in a grocery store) and, if that doesn't work, try and make some myself.
I guess I'm a Hellman's gal at heart...if they would only lower the fat content.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I've heard of Best Foods, but realize now it's something that sells probably west of the Rockies. Shoot..I'm in Illinois now.
See post #18: "I am content with Hellman's regular. (Best Foods is the same brand, sold out west.) "

(As well as my previous post.)
Old 12-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I notice in the ingrediants list that soybean oil is first, e.v. olive oil only second. I wonder if overall the canola variety isn't better for you.

I have seen some small brands made from pure olive oil, but it is quite expensive.

Ha
Old 12-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have seen some small brands made from pure olive oil, but it is quite expensive.

Ha
Yes it is, and it tastes resoundingly of olive oil. Honestly, I think I'd just rather drizzle EVOO on the bread than use the olive oil mayo...
Old 12-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #28

Out of curiosity, I punched in Duke's Mayonnaise in the search bar for Amazon.com, and you can get a case thru them.
Then I went on Duke's website to see what stores they might be in. They have one store in all of Illinois that carries it, but it is a chain grocery--and there is one of those stores in this area. I'm going to try this Duke's as the reviews are fantastic for it. Thanks for the suggestion, folks.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #29
Administrator

Inquiring minds want to know...... what will you do with a CASE of mayo?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Seek immediate medical attention at the Mayo clinic?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Make LOTS of potato salad?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:56 AM   #32

I can't use a case of mayo, but someone else might be able to. Maybe a big family or an orphanage?
Still tickled I found a store in this area to buy one jar. My life is complete now...ha!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #33

All I'm going to say here is that there is NO OTHER substitute for DUKE'S mayo. The light is fine, the regular is legend. No other substitute. Not even homemade.
Let me repeat that--I'd walk across hot coals for Duke's.

Salad dressing <snort> Miracle whip (gross) Hellman's (in a an absolutely desperate pinch, maybe)

On the topic of mayonnaise. I once made a friend's head explode by informing him that mayo doesn't need to be refrigerated as long as a clean utensil is used each time you use it. People on boats regularly keep mayo for months without refrigeration. He says he felt like he was talking to Copernicus!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
... mayo doesn't need to be refrigerated as long as a clean utensil is used each time you use it.
This is true. However, the flavor is greatly enhanced if chilled.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #35

I read that in Mexico they don't refrigerate mayo, also. Wonder how that works? No eggs? Can we not refrigerate our mayo over here? I've never checked about not putting my Hellman's in the fridge...hmmmm.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I read that in Mexico they don't refrigerate mayo, also. Wonder how that works? No eggs? Can we not refrigerate our mayo over here? I've never checked about not putting my Hellman's in the fridge...hmmmm.
Low pH - acid from lemon juice, and/or vinegar, plus salt, and pasteurized eggs.

Mayo gets it's bad rap from the old days of homemade mayo, with unpasteurized eggs and uncontrolled processes. Few home kitchens have pH meters. Yet, people continue to go on and on about how all this processing of our food is bad for us

Quote:
Commercial mayonnaise has an undeserved bad reputation as a cause of food spoilage. In fact, commercial mayonnaise is loaded with acid and preservatives that can actually extend the life of salads by killing bacteria. The eggs used in prepared mayonnaise are pasteurized to kill harmful bacteria.
Mayonnaise Spoilage Myths - Mayonnaise Safety

Quote:
According to the Association for Dressings and Sauces, commercial mayonnaise is stable for long periods without refrigeration because of its acidity. For quality reasons, though, it’s a good idea to refrigerate commercial mayonnaise after opening so it retains its fresh flavor and consistency.

Prairie Fare: Is Mayonnaise Really a Food Safety Issue?

Google "mayonnaise safety" for much, much, much, much more.

-ERD50
Old 12-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #37

Thanks for posting that information, ERD50...who knew?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Friends don't let friends eat lite mayo.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Friends don't let friends eat lite mayo.
Or drink 'lite' beer!

-ERD50
Old 12-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

OK, I was running low on Miracle Whip Light, and found Duke's in the local Kroger today, and picked up a jar of the regular. I'll prolong the anticipation by waiting a week or so for the old jar to be finished.