Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Used to have Miracle Whip in the Midwest and fried bologna sandwiches. Then moving out west I got switched to Best Foods mayonnaise. Now I don't eat any of it. Figure its extra calories I don't need. Of course a little treat i still indulge in isBraunschweiger sausage with a bit of mayo and mostly mustard. Still remember the old man fixing some with crackers for lunch. Specially when mom wasn't home.

Oh I have to add I guess. I do not have it often enough to sacrifice and use light stuff
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #42

MMMM...someone else who loves Braunschweiger. So good...and so Midwestern. Guess it's all the Germans who settled here.
My son was a Braunschwieger, saltines and yellow mustard baby. Ate it every morning before getting out of bed to ward off morning sickness. The Braunschweiger didn't help but sure tasted good. The saltines kept the nausea down. Another strange eating story about a pregnant woman..ha!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:19 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Braunschweiger!... Yummy yummy.

Now I really want to try this recipe for a more healthy choice of that tasteflavor.

Taking the Mystery Out of French Pâté
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:05 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

I loved braunschweiger as a little girl in St. Louis (before we moved to Hawaii). Since that time, I haven't known anybody who even knows what it is.

Nothing yummier for a little girl in the 1950's than braunschweiger and lots of miracle whip on white bread. Now that I am older and wiser, I might make those sandwiches with a more nutritious bread and with mayo (but less of it), though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #45

I could buy Braunschweiger in Houston, but I really think it's more of a Midwestern taste than anything, don't you?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:31 PM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

My dad loved Braunschweiger, but he always ate it with Heinz Chilli sauce.
Johanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I could buy Braunschweiger in Houston, but I really think it's more of a Midwestern taste than anything, don't you?
I like it too. I have never been anywhere that it was not sold. My parents bought some local brand, a whole 2 or 3# tube. My grandather made it also.

Best national brand IMO is Boar's Head, a deli line. Thumanns is better yet, but a little harder to find.

Ha
Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I've always fugured that the stuff added to "light" foods is probably worse for you than the ingredient(s) it replaced...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I've always fugured that the stuff added to "light" foods is probably worse for you than the ingredient(s) it replaced...
And they have such appetizing names -- what vision does "aspertame" bring up?

Of course, it's not as bad as another well-known product:

Star Trek Character or Erectile Dysfunction Pill?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since I'm west of the Mississippi, I'm SOL on Duke's in a store, but you can buy just a couple of bottles directly from them for $15. So I might give it a shot.

All I need it to get hooked and have to import my mayo from the South. My friends and DH already think I'm crazy....

Now, if someone can give me a line on authentic Belgian frites mayo, I'd be in heaven!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #51

Urchina: You frites groupies even have your own website, Urchina...look:

The One and Only Original Belgian Fries Website
Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

OK, just cracked open the Dukes regular, and it is more tasty than the Kraft mayo light I had been using. I don't know if it's that big of a difference to me, since I don't put much on a sandwich, but if I had a recipe that called for a decent amount (unlikely the way I cook and eat) I could see it making a big difference. I'll see how it goes as I work through the jar, but my initial impression is good.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I make my own mayo using olive oil. Its very easy to do with a blender. Its nothing like mayo in a jar; the taste is wonderful!
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #54

Went on Duke's Mayonnaise website today and do you know they do not sell it west of the Rockies?
Anyway, soon it will be available directly from Duke's on amazon.com. Guess I wait for that. Or you can order it directly from Duke's it seems running $15 for 2 of the big ones I usually buy. Guess I'll do that since you guys rave about it so, and I do loves me mayonnaise.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #55

Correction: Duke's also offers for $5 more 4 32 oz. jars for $20--no other costs charged. I cannot wait for mine to come since everyone raves about it so.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
I make my own mayo using olive oil. Its very easy to do with a blender. Its nothing like mayo in a jar; the taste is wonderful!
I do it this way too, but use canola/xvirgin olive oil mix. Very cheap and best taste ever! I had trouble eating jar mayo, Hellmans, Kraft, Miracle Whip,etc...just a lot of bland tasting fat to me. Was never able to finish a 32 oz jar in our family of 5 kids growing up. Now, I just make a small batch when needed, only 1 egg, vary it all the time using lemon and garlic (aioli), dill, cayenne pepper, etc, variations can be endless using your own creativity. For what people pay for the jar kind, you can buy a small handheld cup blender (< $10) and get great tasting homemade mayo!
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #57

When I am thru with all the projects going on here right now, I'm going to try that making mayo stuff. My son finished culinary school before he finished the University, and says the same things about homemade mayo that you fellows do. Gotta try that...
Old 09-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
. Now, I just make a small batch when needed, only 1 egg, vary it all the time using lemon and garlic (aioli), dill, cayenne pepper, etc, variations can be endless using your own creativity.

Would that be a raw egg?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
Gio, how long does your homemade mayo keep in the fridge?
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Good ole regular Hellman's Mayo for me. I've tried some of the generic brands and some are OK, but most suck.