Join Early Retirement Today

Light mayonnaise?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Light mayonnaise?

I have some recipes that ask for light mayonnaise. When it first came out I bought a jar and it was horrible. In fact, I threw the entire jar out after tasting it. It was the first brand that came out, so I assume it was Kraft's as I know it wasn't Hellman's?
Has light mayonnaise improved at all over the past years?
Or is there a cooking substitute for mayonnaise that isn't so fat laden I could use in this recipe? I'm coming up with zip myself, so figure someone here might know.
Any ideas?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2009, 06:04 PM   #2

What are you cooking? If it is a once-a-year holiday treat I would just use the regular mayo. I rarely use mayo myself but once in a while buy tiny jars of Miracle Whip for tuna or chicken salad. I use a small amount and put in other stuff like mustard and relish as less caloric "binders".

Old 12-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
Administrator

Years ago I used to make my own light mayo, but I stopped doing that about 20 years ago and I don't remember the recipe. Anyway, maybe you can find a recipe to try, online. Mayo is one of those things that tastes SO much better when made fresh, for some reason.

I don't buy mayo any more, light or not, so I don't know a brand to buy.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #4

DW likes Best Foods light mayonnaise which, I think, is a reduced fat version of the original. I guess I can't the difference. There's also another type (fat-free?) that she doesn't like.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I would just use regular mayo, Orchid. And I agree with W2R that homemade is really good (I've not made a "light" homemade, however), and it's surprisingly easy to make.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #6

I'll check into making some myself then. Frankly, that didn't even occur to me to try and make my own light, so thanks!
Has anyone tried the light type lately and does it still taste horrible?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I'll check into making some myself then. Frankly, that didn't even occur to me to try and make my own light, so thanks!
Has anyone tried the light type lately and does it still taste horrible?
I got a pack of it in a McDonalds. Yes, it was horrible. I refuse to eat it. Just buy some real mayonnaise (I use Trader Joe's canola oil real mayonnaise). It's good and it's pretty cheap.

Ha
Old 12-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
Administrator

Just say no to lite mayo.
Maybe you could use less of the real stuff? Depending on the application recipe, you might be able to substitute something that tastes good but isn't bad for you e.g. plain yogurt.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:05 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I use yogurt as mayo, and it works for sticking tuna together for tuna sandwiches.

I have no idea how it would work for a real 'recipe.'

And there you have the heights of my culinary abilities...

ta,
mew
Old 12-22-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

The nonfat greek yogurt (a common brand name around here is Fage) would work really well as a mayo replacement for things like tuna salad, egg salad, and ranch dip. It has a substantial and very creamy texture that a lot of other yogurts lack, and it's not as tart as most plain yogurt. I'm planning on mixing it with ranch dressing mix to make a nonfat ranch dressing that is still thick and creamy.

For cooked items, I have no idea how it would work.

I also really like Veganaise, which tastes exactly like regular mayo to me, but is vegan. It's not "lite" mayo, and has the same number of calories per same serving size as Best Foods, but it has a gram less of fat and one gram less saturated fat.

I have no idea what the light version tastes like.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use Kraft Miracle Whip (light) instead of mayo, but I grew up with it and find mayo bland and a bit fatty in comparison.

Miracle Whip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I use light mayo (Kraft) all of the time on sandwiches. Tastes fine to me. I was never a real mayo addict. Could be I just don't really know what I'm missing.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've used Hellman's Light for years. However dh2b grumbled about it , so I buy the real stuff now. I have no cholesterol problems. He does genetically, but I keep his consumption of eggs and egg products very minimal at home.
Moderation is key here.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #14

Goshs, if that light mayo tastes like it did when it came out...blech! God bless you if you can choke it down as I couldn't...and I surely am no picky eater.

Yogurt is a great idea! I'll definitely try it, and, if that doesn't work for cold tuna-type salads, I am off to make it myself. There has to be more than one way to skin this cat.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #15

Dukes is the best mayo - regular (even the "light" did not make me gag) I have my ex ship some up to me periodically...only the little jars since I am not a big mayo freak.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, "light" in market-speak means less fat and much more sugar (and salt) -- same or more calories, however. (Another name for Lite mayo is that terrible tasting "salad dressing" by Best Foods.

Anyway, the trick is in getting the "right" fat. I, sometime ago, switched to Best Foods Canola Mayonnaise. They even claim it has half the fat but I can't taste any difference. In any event, I feel good mentally while using it.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Or is there a cooking substitute for mayonnaise that isn't so fat laden I could use in this recipe?
Let me google that for you
It's all what you're used to.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

It's all what you're used to.

I'm a mayo nut. I've made my own, but usually I am content with Hellman's regular. (Best Foods is the same brand, sold out west.) I bought a jar of Duke's when I was in North Carolina last month and didn't like it. I do sometimes substitute Fage yogurt in salads and instead of sour cream on taco's, baked potatoes and latkes.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Yeah, "light" in market-speak means less fat and much more sugar (and salt) -- same or more calories, however. (Another name for Lite mayo is that terrible tasting "salad dressing" by Best Foods.
True about the sugar and salt, which I did not realize. Thanks for pointing that out.

But the light versions of the Hellman's mayo or Kraft Miracle whip are definitely lower in calories. The nutrition labels are online.

I try to just use less of whichever I buy. Don't glob it on thick, and I just spread it one one side, and basically only wipe my knife on the other side.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
True about the sugar and salt, which I did not realize. Thanks for pointing that out.

But the light versions of the Hellman's mayo or Kraft Miracle whip are definitely lower in calories. The nutrition labels are online.

I try to just use less of whichever I buy. Don't glob it on thick, and I just spread it one one side, and basically only wipe my knife on the other side.
I, of course, meant "Miracle Whip" and not "Salad Dressing." And what I was referring to was the taste factor not the calories. Yes, the "Lite" mayos taste exactly like "Miracle Whip" -- very sweet and completely lacking that "tang" that Lemon and egg yolk adds. In any event, lower calories at the expense of taste didn't seem like the OP's goal to me.