Lightning - got our attention

Edit add: Surge protector are good up to a point. I have one from HomeDepot at the service panel and another one at a sub panel next to my electric dryer plug. I think they are about 50 bucks ea.. They tend to work best singly when installed at a high load circuit furthest from the service entrance (like an electric Dryer plug)
Most harm comes from power lines are brownouts, AKA voltage sags during high demand times ie. 95 volts or below, tend to burn out motors. For residential purposes correcting for is cost prohibitive and inefficient (called constant voltage transformers) they make a lot of heat and noise.
My circuit tester/surge protector cuts all power when it drops below 104v. Why do motors not like low voltage? I can understand that they won't run properly, but what happens to damage the motor just because the voltage is low?

And how the heck did you learn all this? ;).

Aha the $64k question.

Somewhat simplified: It has to do with the counter electromotive force generated by rotating machinery, ( motors can act as generators, though not very good at it) which limits the current in the windings

When running slow, less counter EMF is generated allowing much more current through the windings, plus the slower speed gives less cooling, ergo mucho heat, cooked wires.
Cooked wires(windings) let the magic smoke out of the motor and it dies.:D

As to how I learned? I was born curious, at age 6 already graduated to dis-assembling much my brother's motorcycle, this after pulling the film out of his Leica (pictures he traveled days to take) to look at the pictures. These acts nearly caused my demise at his hands, mother intervened, so I got to live.

In time after destroying many things I learned how they worked, eventually learned how to re-assemble.

Discovered electricity by dismantling the family radio, wanted to know what made the magic eye tuning indicator work. In the process the still charged filter capacitors discharged through my fingers, getting my attention.
This act nearly got my mother to finish me off, (radios cost 2 to 3 months vages back then, if you could get them at all) brother intervened, got live again. They recounted these things later in my adult life.:blush:

From there a lifetime of learning ensued, and still in the process. Formal education in the electric arena was as an electrician student back in the old country.

I still love to tinker, learn, and play with all sorts of gizmo's. But a lot of what I know is fast becoming obsolete.

Now in retrospect if I directed those energies to money making, I'd prolly be far richer, but not likely happier. Who knows?

OK, got it. So is the bottom line in your estimate that residential lightning rods and/or surge protectors are a highly hit or miss solution that will likely not provide protection in many if not most of the scenarios you mght encounter?
The only advantage is that the next lightning bolt may be more attracted to your lightning rod than your A/C system.

Years ago Lee Trevino was struck by lightning during a golf tournament. Later he used to joke that next time he'd hold up a 1-iron. Why? Because not even God can hit a 1-iron... Maybe you could just tie a golf club to a high tree branch, clamp a wire to the shaft, and route the wire down to the ground.

And how the heck did you learn all this? ;).
Six months of nuclear power school, six months at a shore nuclear plant, and 20 years of [-]pouring various types of conductive fluids into heavy-duty circuit breakers[/-] experience...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom