Like Your Car?
Old 06-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Like Your Car?

http://growingbolder.com/media/techn...ad-259598.html

Followup:

http://growingbolder.com/media/techn...on-268605.html
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Car
Old 06-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Car

I really like Rachel and her spiffy car, Chariot. My ninety year old Aunt just dropped a new engine in her yellow 1984 coupe de ville. She wouldn't hear of a new car even though she could easily afford it. I keep an old Land Cruiser(the "Beast") for sentimental reasons as a second car. I maintain it meticulously and enjoy bringing the Beast out of the garage for a run at least once a week. Can't really say I'm a car lover other than for this.

Oh, and SarahW: Congratulations on your retirement! Wishing you many happy years.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I feel that way about my present car . It's a 99 Camry Solara and every time I think of trading it in I feel unfaithful because it is the best car I've ever had . It is also the first car I bought fully loaded .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Oh, and SarahW: Congratulations on your retirement! Wishing you many happy years.
Thanks so much!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I cracked up over the part where she shows all the "lifetime warranty" parts that she has had replaced for free over the years.

And that is a pretty mean looking revolver that she packs.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

That is one of the best stories I have seen in a long time! That woman had me smilen' from ear to ear.

As far as my car goes....I really like it, but I'm not as dedicated as she is. Of course then again, I have named my car....
Old 06-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #7

While I was watching that video I remarked to myself that Rachel was a pistol...and right after that she pulled her pistol from under the seat! Rachel is too cool - I hope I'm that on the ball when I'm 89!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #8

One of my friends has a '59 MGA that he bought new. He's only 69. He has rebuilt it twice. Did it himself with the help of a few friends.

Good for Rachel. More power to her.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Good story. I like the part where Rachel complains to the DMV that they shouldn't renew licenses for very old people without a driving test.

BTW, she says she spent $3,289 for it in 1964, but that was in another currency called "1964 dollars." She actually spent $22,624.

Another story:

2.5 Million Mile Volvo 40th Anniversary - Worldcarfans
Old 06-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #10

Hmmm...well, I disagree. She ACTUALLY spent $3289. If she were buying today, she might spend $22k, but she isn't buying today.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

A story that's bound to put a smile on the faces of cheapskates frugal folks everywhere.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Good story. I like the part where Rachel complains to the DMV that they shouldn't renew licenses for very old people without a driving test.
As my dad used to say about Florida, "these old people can't drive".

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't get any audio at the link, but I got the gist of the story.

I'll still be tooling around in my 2005 Mustang for many years. I get funny looks right now, a "mature" lady driving around in a muscle car with classical music blaring. When I go completely silver, look out.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #14

Good choice freebird. Me any and my 05 Mustang (not a ragtop but at least a GT) will be around for a while. Me and my 61 Sunbeam will be a couple until I die. My 07 Ranger is expendable.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #15

I think everything goes through the following few phases: brand-new-wow-my-baby phase, the eh-it's-nice-but-not-perfect phase, the I'm-looking-for-a-new-one phase at around 7 years, the hmm-what's-out-there-is-more-trouble-but-not-much-better phase, and the I'm-proud-to-be-with-this-weirdo/clunker/old junk phase.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I couldn't get any audio at the link, but I got the gist of the story.

I'll still be tooling around in my 2005 Mustang for many years. I get funny looks right now, a "mature" lady driving around in a muscle car with classical music blaring. When I go completely silver, look out.

Come down to Florida you will blend right in . There are tons of white hairs driving mustangs , camaros and corvettes.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The other day I gave our '02 Echo its midlife detailing at 153,000 miles. The goal is 300,000. It doesn't really feel any different than it did when we drove it off the lot. The floor mats are still in pretty good shape.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Come down to Florida you will blend right in . There are tons of white hairs driving mustangs , camaros and corvettes.
Except Freebird can see over the steering wheel rim.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Volvo sponsors their own Million Mile Club. The best known member has over 2.5M miles on his P1800. I saw the car at a show in Carlisle, PA- it's kept in showroom condition. The owner is not as old as this lady; he just drives a lot.
alvarezg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Hmmm...well, I disagree. She ACTUALLY spent $3289. If she were buying today, she might spend $22k, but she isn't buying today.
That's OK too. My only point was that although it's fun to say things like "Wow, I bought a new car for only $3,289 in 1963!" the "dollar" back then and the "dollar" today are, in a very real sense, simply not the same thing. Back then, a dollar was something that could buy several loaves of bread.